1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

On the fence

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by dack22, Apr 24, 2008.

1. dack22

dack22 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I am new to this site and am considering buying a Prius. I currently have a 2000 Saturn SL1, it gets pretty good gas mileage (ranges from 30city to 36 highway). I drive almost entirely highway, however, I heard that the Prius really excells in its city gas mileage. Is this true? I have no dire need for a new car at this time, as my current car is running fine, however, I am planning on buying a Prius within the next 2 years. Should I wait until the new generation comes out (in 2010) or buy one of the last few models of the current generation? Is there going to be a vast price difference between the 2 generations? I know that they are going to change up the body for the new generation. What about performance and mpg? Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

2. Austin50mpg

Austin50mpg Prius Driving Right Winger

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Depends on what you consider CITY. Some post on this forum consider downtown city with numerous traffic lights a MPG killer.

I consider CITY as driving on the interstate with bumper to bumper traffic in which I get very good MPG's. Sometimes I have 75 to 100 MPG for 30 minutes of bumper to to bumper slow traffic without complete stops. Fortunately I don't have to stop at very many traffic lights. (Maybe three or four short ones a day)

Just consider what you consider CITY. :)

On the highway I get 48 MPG at 70MPH and the AC blasting cold air.

3. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You can expect 45/50+ MPG city/highway (yes, better on the highway than city).

New model pricing, availability, features: who knows. I would not buy the first year of a major redesign because they always have some design errors.