1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

On the hunt for my first hybrid. Prius or Insight?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by warriordude07, Jan 12, 2011.

1. warriordude07

warriordude07 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well I'm sure you all have seen a million ba-jillion threads on people thinking of purchasing an a Prius. Here's my question. For a 21 year old college student.. what would be a good II Gen Prius to get? I honestly think I would enjoy a 1st Gen Insight more but who knows, I am having very hard luck finding an insight let alone an automatic ( or CVT ). My dealership has an 07 Prius with only 95k miles for 9k. I think thats a knockout price for that new of a Prius.. I'm just getting ideas. What does everyone think? I am very open to peoples opinions and suggestions but for 9k and 95,000 miles on an 07 Prius.. does anybody get weird vibes? Anything I should know about these hybrids besides the fact that it can cost a lot of money to replace the battery?

Thanks everyone. All feedback is appreciated.

2. tedjohnson

tedjohnson Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    If you go with gen 1 insight get the manual, it is far better than the CVT mpgwise. Most batteries go at least 150,000 miles or 8 years which ever comes first. Both batteries can be bought rebuilt for about half the price of new. If you buy either from a dealer get a warranty . Both are capable of 300,000 miles with 1 battery change and few other repairs. Both will at sometime need a new exhaust system and maybe 1 set of brakepads/rotors, but they are both pretty reliable cars. The insight 1 will be more fun to drive and get maybe 7 mpg better mileage, need fewer tires, no wheel alignments or shocks. The Prius has much more room, is a bit more complex, much larger to drive around , but more stable and better ride. Lots of choices. I don't think you can go wrong with either one.

3. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    If you get a GenII, then things that take the driving experience up a couple notches:

3 door SKS: Look for little black square next to the front door handles and to the right of the hatchback. Makes it super easy (and cool) to unlock and lock the car. Keep your key in your pocket/purse and just push a button and go.

Backup Camera: Look under the hatch lip by the license plate. Even if you dont want the camera, it means your MFD is the higher resolution screen

Also the '06+ had a more textured dash. Some like it more, some dont.

As for the battery, it sounds like you need to read up on Prius myths. The "expensive" battery is no more so than a transmission. Considering the Prius doesnt have a transmission (just one planetary gear, fixed ratios) the failure rate is almost none. There are taxi drivers with 300k+ miles on the original battery and still going strong. Brakes don't have to be replaced as often since regen braking doesn't use friction like in conventional cars.

$9k for an '07 sounds pretty good. Keep in mind unless it was originally bought and registered in a CARB state, the hybrid warranty expires at 100k miles. You shouldnt need it, but who knows how long it has been sitting at the dealership. Idleness contributes more to the death of a battery than usage.

Good luck.

4. PriusSport

PriusSport senior member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    We own both--an '08 Prius and a '10 Insight.

The Insight is cheaper--by about $5K. It's the cheapest hybrid--we paid around $18.5K with 10% internet discount. The '11s have a new base Insight listed at $18.9K, maybe less discounted.

The Insight is slightly smaller, but handles better and is sportier. The Prius is slightly quieter, gets about 10% better gas mileage (45-50 mpg vs 42 mpg for the Insight) and has a softer ride--more like a sedan. Both cars are very reliable--to this point.

I like both. My wife prefers the Insight, which she drives. If you want a bit more quickness and handling, significantly lower price, about 10% lower gas mileage, and roominess isn't an issue, check out the Insight.

5. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Get a Prius. Don't settle for less. Honda hybrid battery does not have a great reliability track record. HSD is a superior system that babies the HV battery. You are 21 so you may prefer sportier ride but Prius is faster. Test drive both.

6. sktn77a

sktn77a Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    The Prius is invariably ranked higher than the Insight by the automotive gurus (Gen II/III prius vs Gen II insight). You said Gen 1 Insight which is only a 2 seater so they are really two different cars - hard to compare. I prefer the styling of the Gen II Insight to the Prius but I prefer everything else about the Prius.

7. That_Prius_Car

That_Prius_Car Austin Kinser

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yeah, I'd choose the Prius, but only because the Prius is quieter, has a more refined ride and a better hybrid system, and the Prius is faster too. The Insight feels...unstable.

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    that seems like a very good price for an 07 with 95K. make sure it wasn't in any accidents or floods or anything. do your due diligence and demand a good warranty from the dealer. most people have great long term experiences, but beware, a major repair could cost thousands more than a regular car.

9. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Prius. You'll appreciate the extra room on move-in/move-out days (if you stay at the dorms).

The 2nd Gen Prius was updated in 2006 and if you get a 2007, side airbags and side curtain airbags were made standard (they were optional in previous years). Regardless of year, I would ensure that the Prius has at least VSC and the side airbags.

The 2006+ models with a backup camera will also benefit from a higher resolution screen (vs. the standard screen on the base models).

10. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
  11. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
  12. waynetc

waynetc Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I own a Gen I 2000 Insight and 2006 Prius. Love em both. Most Gen I insight owners do a lot of the required maintenance and sometimes a lot more on the car themselves, since they do not trust Honda with it. If you have time and like to mess around with cars where new parts are getting harder to get, go with the Insight. If you are really busy and just want a great car to drive, I'd go with the Prius. As a matter of comparison now in the dead of winter if I try real real hard I can get 62mpg with the Insight. If I don't try real hard I get 52mpg with the Prius (highway). The Insight does need winter tires in areas where it snows often in winter to be safe as well. Hope this helps.

13. warriordude07

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm trying to post everything I just typed but it's saying I have to post a URL after you have made five or more posts.. but I have no link I'm trying to share?

14. warriordude07

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I decided to bite on a 2007 base for just 9 k, only 80,021 miles! I think its a hell of a deal

15. Ryanpl

Ryanpl Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    good bite. enjoy your car

16. s3nfo

s3nfo Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Honda IMA won't do electric only. Part of the fun of owning a hybrid is driving to the store in stealth mode.