1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

On the subject of Iran...

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by eagle33199, Feb 27, 2007.

?
  1. Bomb Iran to the ground - they shouldn't even be thinking of cheap power generation or weapons on pa

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Invade Iran - After all, they have as many WMD's as Sadam had

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Utilize the UN and our allies to impose sanctions on Iran and to monitor their nuclear activities

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Utilize the UN and our allies to stop Iran from gaining nuclear capabilities

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Stemming off the other Iran thread, i was wondering what everyone else thinks - Berman seems to think they all side with him, as no one else is speaking up in that thread (I'd rather think everyone is just sick of listening to him rant).

At least this way, you can vote anonymously and avoid being attacked by Berman and his ilk!

The basic premise, if you've skipped the other thread, is that Iran is developing nuclear power. They have stated that they are developing it for peaceful, clean power generation, and have no desire (in fact, it would be against their law) to develop nuclear weapons. The clear worry, of course, is that they will develop nuclear weapons and use them on their neighbors.

2. desynch

desynch Die-Hard Conservative

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Those poll answers aren't one sides of anything..

The UN is worthless. Saddam made a mockery of them before we overthrew his butt. Iran is making a mockery of them.

UN = worthless

As much as I'd like them to be an effective group at global peace keeping.. They aren't. They have no clout.

3. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(eagle33199 @ Feb 27 2007, 02:30 PM) [snapback]397358[/snapback]</div>
    YOU STILL DONT GET IT - why dont you put my position on there??????

You answer this very simple question which in all probability will represent the case scenario: NO UN action, no public ally support --- does the US act unilaterally to prevent iran from going nuclear?? a simple yes or no will do.

4. eagle33199

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Berman, your position is provided in the first two options, which clearly imply unilateral action. the second two provide for action through and with the UN.

I could post 100 different poll options to try to account for every possibility, but the basic options are there - unilateral action, or not.

You don't like my poll options, go start your own.

5. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(eagle33199 @ Feb 27 2007, 02:52 PM) [snapback]397377[/snapback]</div>
    not necessary - i am usually up against 100:1 odds here. the fact that you have NO wingmen on this topic says all that is necessary. that should give you pause..........

even dragonfly has not said she agrees with you on this one - WOW!

6. dragonfly

dragonfly New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Feb, 12:00 PM) [snapback]397382[/snapback]</div>
    Did I miss something?

7. eagle33199

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    You're right... no one to support me, except the 4 others who have voted for UN actions against your sole vote for unilateral actions... and the day is still young!

8. dragonfly

dragonfly New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(eagle33199 @ Feb, 12:06 PM) [snapback]397389[/snapback]</div>
    ok, yeah, I'm one of those.

9. mojo

mojo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(desynch @ Feb 27 2007, 02:37 PM) [snapback]397362[/snapback]</div>
    The UN was completely successful in eliminating Iraqs WMDs.
    You are absolutely wrong .I cant believe this is still even a matter of debate.

10. MegansPrius

MegansPrius GoogleMeister, AKA bongokitty

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(desynch @ Feb 27 2007, 03:37 PM) [snapback]397362[/snapback]</div>
    Yes, the UN obviously failed because Saddam had so many WMDs when we invaded. Oops. Hey, wait a minute... :blink:

EDIT: Doh! Didn't read above post.

The fact is, sanctions are already having some effect in Iran. Admanwhathisname's popularity is sinking cause people can't afford tomatoes for their everyday cooking (the price has skyrocketed due to sanctions).
    http://www.salon.com/opinion/feature/2007/...html?source=rss

11. desynch

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mojo @ Feb 27 2007, 04:13 PM) [snapback]397397[/snapback]</div>
    UN inspectors were repeatedly denied access to inspect certain areas. All they did was pout.

Seriously, no one in the international community takes the UN seriously.

12. dragonfly

dragonfly New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(desynch @ Feb, 01:17 PM) [snapback]397427[/snapback]</div>
    ...and it was later proven that there were enormous stockpiles of.... uh.... nothing.
    Seriously, no one in the <strike>international community</strike> Bush admin takes the UN seriously.

And, perhaps more seriously, no one in the international community takes the Bush admin seriously.

13. MegansPrius

MegansPrius GoogleMeister, AKA bongokitty

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(desynch @ Feb 27 2007, 05:17 PM) [snapback]397427[/snapback]</div>
    You seem to forget (or not know of) the vocal and aggressive Scott Ritter. He did more than pout. He ripped the Clinton admin a new orifice for not being as aggressive/supportive on inspections as he wanted. But even he stated before the war that Iraq didn't have WMDs any more.

14. TimBikes

TimBikes New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    The military option in this case is not really an option. It might be good as a scare tactic, but that's about it. We could likely set back their efforts with an intense bombing campaign, but we have little chance of fully eliminating their ability to pursue nukes via military means.

So without a definitive military option, the choice is clear. Squeeze them to further isolate Amendinajad (?) and bring back the moderates. Their society there is already very unstable (40% unemployment). It can be easily tipped toward their current leadership with an attack and the subsequent nationalistic response it will generate or - they can be tipped away from him with continued sanctions and pressure on the Saudis to lower oil prices through increased production (along with decreased demand here through a fuel tax).

15. Stev0

Stev0 Honorary Hong Kong Cavalier

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(desynch @ Feb 27 2007, 04:17 PM) [snapback]397427[/snapback]</div>
    I agree 100%, assuming by "international community" you mean "The Bush Administration".

Fortunately, the rest of the world thinks differently.

16. TimBikes

TimBikes New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    The military option in this case is not really an option. It might be good as a scare tactic, but that's about it. We could likely set back their efforts with an intense bombing campaign, but we have little chance of fully eliminating their ability to pursue nukes via military means.

So without a definitive military option, the choice is clear. Squeeze them to further isolate Amendinajad (?) and bring back the moderates. Their society there is already very unstable (40% unemployment). It can be easily tipped toward their current leadership with an attack and the subsequent nationalistic response it will generate or - they can be tipped away from him with continued sanctions and pressure on the Saudis to lower oil prices through increased production (along with decreased demand here through a fuel tax). Amendinajad is operating in a very small box with few good options.

17. Mirza

Mirza New Member

Some ought to get educated about what the UN is instead of repeating what you hear on our news. I would suggest an authentic source.

18. desynch

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    The UN was obviously not doing a well enough job as Saddam had ample time to hide his weapons or move them to friendly territories. What do you think Saddam was doing when he would deny UN inspectors access to certain areas?

19. Mirza

Mirza New Member

What the heck do you expect the UN to do, exactly? It has some excellent world programs... and some not so good... but that depends on who you talk to. I would suggest you educate yourself about what the UN is. We're a part of it... so going by your argument if the UN is worthless than what does that make us?

20. Dick Cheney

Dick Cheney New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(desynch @ Feb, 02:25 PM) [snapback]397476[/snapback]</div>
    Obviously, you're the only intelligent poster in this thread. You're invited on my next quail hunt. You bring the beer.

As for the poll, I say bomb the crap out of the bastards. And if one of our bombs should go off course a little into France, well let's just say, accidents happen.

Now, where's that steak I asked for?