1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

On Vacation

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by SalLema, Mar 4, 2009.

1. SalLema

SalLema Sal's Pride

I have a wonderful Black 2006 that is my Pride and Joy. I will be heading out of the country for a few weeks and wondered what I had to do to keep "Kit" from loosing his juice while I am away? Do I need to have Kit started weekly while I am gone?

2. thedutchtouch

thedutchtouch prius is my SUV

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    if you have the SKS, turn it off and you'll be fine.

3. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    For a minor fee, I'll drive Kit around for you.
    It's the least I can do for a fellow Prius owner.

Have fun on vacation.

4. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If a "few weeks" means more than three weeks, I suggest that you disconnect the 12V auxiliary battery - or else be prepared to jump it when you return. However, if you can get competent help who can make your Prius READY for 30 minutes at a time, then ask for this to be done every other week while you are gone.

Enjoy your vacation!

5. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Disable SKS and hopefully all will be fine when you return. If you intend to frequently be away for such times, consider using a "smart" battery tender like this one

BatteryMINDer® Plus 12 Volt 1.33 Amp Charger-Maintainer-Conditioner (Desulfator) :: All :: Battery Chargers by BatteryMINDers.com

The smart battery tenders can be left plugged in indefinetely with no danger of overcharging the battery. It's best to hook them directly to the 12 vdc battery

Not sure I'd want somebody playing around with my Prius. Even a well meaning person can make a mistake, and put the car into Acc or Ig On instead of Ready. That's a sure way to discharge the battery