1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Once the fuel gauge bar thing is on E, the tank still has 2 gallons of gas left?

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Fuel Economy' started by TheChosenOne, Mar 4, 2016.

1. TheChosenOne

TheChosenOne Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I looked at the thing where it tells me how many miles I have left before I run out of gas on E. It said I had 40 miles left when I first started my car but then at the end of my 14 mile trip, the 40 miles turned into dashes like this ---- so I assume I have no gas left and the fuel gauge had nothing left, it was on E but I read somewhere on here a while back that the car has a secret storage that has 2 gallons of emergency back up gas. Is the back up gas used once we are on E or once we are on the last bar?

When the meter for how many miles I have left reached -----, I panicked a little and was praying to Buddha that I don't run out of gas and be stuck in traffic. I learned my lesson not to trust the car and just fill up the tank once it reaches the last bar, less stress that way. I waited that long because I wanted to get my gas at Costco and I couldn't get it before or after work because the closest Costco with a gas station is opposite of direction where my work is and I couldn't do after work because Costco would be closed by then so I had to wait for my off day.

#1 TheChosenOne, Mar 4, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2016
  2. Eclipse1701d

Eclipse1701d Prius Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    On my Gen III, I always have AT LEAST two gallons, when it says I have 0 miles left. There is a buffer. However, some have reported much less. Just become familiar with your vehicle. Over time, you will know when to fill up.

3. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    It's not a "hidden" two gallons, and the amount is certainly NOT guaranteed. The fuel sensor will reach the bottom of its' travel -before- every last drop of fuel can be pumped out of all the nooks and crannies. They keep the sensor -above- the bottom of the tank so it doesn't wear on the tank. It -might- be two gallons. It might not.

Good plan to fill up before it indicates empty. You DO NOT want to run out of fuel. It's dangerous for you (traffic or stranded in a bad part of town at the mercy of questionable individuals) and dangerous for the car. The fuel pump is cooled by the fuel.

2010moneypit? likes this.
  4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I hope you're not thinking of the the sketch I posted with the secret reserve tank, lol. That was completely tongue in cheek.

For real low stress, fill up any time you're below half and passing by a station.

5. ATHiker

ATHiker Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    The stated tank capacity is 11.4 gallons, right?

When your gas gauge was down to zero, how many gallons went into the tank when you filled it up?

Not exactly sure what that will tell you, but its got to mean something!

6. Sfcyclist

Sfcyclist Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    It's intentional designed to give you some leeway. Almost like setting the alarm clock early earlier to get on out bed on time.. then we figure it out and snooze it till it last minute.. ;)

Jon Senum likes this.
  7. krousdb

krousdb NX-74205

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    My first fill was 11.339 gallons at about 45 miles past zero range.

Mambo Dave, ATHiker and bwilson4web like this.
  8. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    We won't know what the low fuel displays and warnings really mean until someone runs this new Gen4 model completely out of fuel, dead on the roadside, while keeping track of the distances and displays along the way and reporting how much refill fuel it takes.

Bob Wilson intentionally ran test this multiple times on his Gen3: [WARNING] Running out of gas (Gen III) | PriusChat Such experiments are not for everybody, and should not be run in challenging or risky conditions, nor when one is on any sort of schedule that doesn't allow plenty of time to recover from significant unexpected 'challenges'.

Whoever runs these experiments should be prepared for greatly different behavior than was reported on the Gen3. E.g. the Gen3 went roughly 100 miles past DTE (distance to empty) = 0 miles (Bob's reported distances actually measure from an earlier mark, the flashing pip). But the Gen4 behavior reported above blanks out DTE under 40 miles, similar to my new 2014 Forester that blanks out this display under 30 miles. But that Forester has essentially zero miles of cushion, I actually had it run out of fuel at approximately the point that DTE would have been Zero had it not gone blank (+/- a few miles, its DTE is always rounded to a multiple of 10 miles). (Conveniently, this happened seconds after I already pulled up to a fuel station, after wimping out about running the next road stretch, so I didn't need to pull out the spare can of fuel. That vehicle has plenty of other low fuel warnings, so no one can claim that it was a surprise. )

bwilson4web likes this.
  9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    what does the manual state? should be separate quantities for main and reserve in the capacity's section.

10. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    There's one tank, AFAIK.

fuzzy1 likes this.
  11. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I am a fan of VW reserve and motorcycle reserve valves.

Bob Wilson

12. thunderstruck

thunderstruck Active Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Manual just says 11.4 on page 729.

13. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I do not know about Gen 1
    Gen 2 had a variable sized tank that some times ran dry just 7 miles after the last pip started blinking. (Other times I had 30 miles) Toyota had many angry owners who expected to drive on empty longer than 7 miles. SO they made sure that Gen 3 had plaanty of reserve gas at E. It would not surprise me if the Gen 4 was the same. Until you get a 15 gallon gas can and run out on purpose, no one will know.

No modern car should habitually run out of gas:
    Fuel injection assumes no air in gas, it will go lean and burn pistons.
    Electric fuel pumps in the gas tank are cooled by the gasoline, run dry and they can over heat.

The Prius computers do not register adding less than 3 gallons of gas at a time. Smaller gas cans will not ever let the tank 'fill'
    Running an out of gas Prius until it won't go will drain the HV Battery, not even the dealer has a charger for that; they have to get one from regional, so you will be on foot for a while.

Some folks do deliberately run dry ONCE just to find out. Just do not make a habit of it.

14. krousdb

krousdb NX-74205

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I ran my 2004 out of gas on two occasions, both on purpose. Both times I calculated that I had used about 2.4 gallons after the flashing pip started. On the Gen 4 Eco, based on the average tank FE, driving 45 miles past DTE is about 0.6 gallons. Subtract 0.6 from 11.34 when I filled gives you about 10.75 gallons from the top of the filler tube to DTE.

I read somewhere that the Eco has a 0.5 gallon smaller tank than the other models but can't find that reference at this time.

15. RRxing

RRxing Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    Some Prius drivers play a silly game called, "How low can you go?", or "How many miles per tank?" These are useless metrics which serve only to increase the probability of getting stranded on (or close to) the side of the road. For me, 'miles per gallon' is the one I like to keep track of. When the tank gets down to ~2 pips, I'll fill up. No muss, no fuss (perhaps because I am older and prefer peace of mind.) My two cents.

As far as the OP's original question, I'm sure we'll find out soon enough how much, if any, there is of a 'reserve' in the Gen IV.

lar.smith42, TonyWilkey and john1701a like this.
  16. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    there are not two tanks, but i recall a manual stating x gallons to last flashing pip, and x gallons in reserves or safety.

krousdb likes this.
  17. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    There are legitimate reasons to have a more realistic idea how much fuel range a vehicle really has, as numerous people who remember the 1970's fuel shortages and gas rationing can attest. Or aircraft pilots, many of whom wouldn't tolerate the multi-hour gauge uncertainties built into many common cars. Or people who often drive through areas where fuel is seriously overpriced or simply not available:
    That said, for common ordinary conditions, remember this guideline, ripped off from JimboPalmer's past postings:
    With your mother-in-law in the car, fill up at 3 bars. She will never let anyone she knows forget that you ran out of gas and stranded her.
    With you spouse in the car, fill up at 2 bars. She will never let you forget that you ran out of gas and stranded her.
    With just yourself in the car, fill up a 1 bar. Nobody else ever needs to know that you ran out of gas and got stranded.

18. krousdb

krousdb NX-74205

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Wondering if you have ever owned a Gen 2 Prius?

19. RRxing

RRxing Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    No, so I didn't have to mess with the "guess" gauge.

20. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    That capacity beyond the reserve wasn't as big with gen-1 and consequently, there were a number of reports of ordinary drivers running out of gas. It was a quite surprise to discover the American mindset was to routinely push extremes. Toyota adjusted accordingly. Very few run out of gas following that.

A major contributor to the reason for such a buffer is battery well being. In normal operation, there's a buffer for it too. Never deeply discharging is how it is able to last so long. Unfortunately, owners would drain the battery well past that longevity threshold. Consequently, its life is shortened upon continuing to drive after there isn't any gas available.

With such a long driving range anyway, why anyone would disregard the visual & audio refill warnings is beyond me. Why take the risk What's the benefit?

Mendel Leisk and RRxing like this.