1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Once Upon A Time, Meet The Press

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by bwilson4web, Sep 12, 2023.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Decades ago, I thought highly of Meet The Press because Tim Russert, the moderator, booked no BS in his interviews. Then came "Both Side" Chuck Todd and I could no longer watch it.

Todd's mealy mouth interviews and analysis basically said there was no difference between the two political parties and politicians. It was a lie then and remains a lie to his last day.

Come Sunday, I catch a couple of of episodes to see if the new moderator returns to the hard hitting style of the late Tim Russert. I don't need pablum but facts and data regardless of politician or political party.

For a more detailed analysis of Todd's failure: Where Chuck Todd failed - Columbia Journalism Review

Bob Wilson

Stevewoods likes this.
  2. John321

John321 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'd given up on those Sunday morning political talk shows after catching by chance a broadcast of This Week with George Stephanopoulos years ago.

Was shocked to see the Panelist included disgraced Donna Brazile and Chris Christie.

Could not believe any show that strived for credibility could have two people like that on its panel.

I believe it tainted my opinion of all major broadcast political weekly news shows forever.

#2 John321, Sep 12, 2023
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2023
  3. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    In the 80's it was a great resource... But TV in general has been dumbed down to the point of being unwatchable and there's so many talented online researchers that can give you huge amounts of information in their writings that you could never get 1/10th of by watching TV.

As in the Internet killed television!

4. Stevewoods

Stevewoods Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Long ago and far, far away, I was a print journalist. Worked my way up from editor of the high school and then college newspaper to finally land an editor's spot at a major national newspaper. In those days, I had actually met and respected Tim Russert. Indeed, there were a number of journalists deserving of respect in those days. Now, not so many....if any :rolleyes:

Then, Tim left, Todd came along. Myself and colleagues were not impressed. Everyone I knew stopped watching, unless they were too hungover on Sunday morning to bother changing the channel. The CJR article mostly nailed it.

upload_2023-9-12_16-3-49.jpeg

5. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ^ THAT is why Chuck was put out to pasture.

It's a testament to Tim's inertia that MTP managed to meander along for a decade under the rudderless guidance of their "editorial staff" without disappearing entirely - but then you can still buy Craftsman tools.
    Those following along in the podcast world may have noticed that MTP has been trying to use the an old Russian trick of replacing quality with quantity with daily dumps instead of their weekly weak tea.

FTN's Margaret Brennan at least has some faint remanent of intellectual curiosity, but in truth her show is not much more watchable (or listenable) than the non-competition.

@Stevewoods may want to consider devoting the occasional listen to a podcast called Ink Stained Wretches.
    ‎Ink Stained Wretches on Apple Podcasts

They're not my WHOLE jam, but they do serve to offer some professional criticism to those folks who are currently....buggering (too strong ?) a once noble profession.
    YMMV.