1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

One headlight out

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by mysta2, May 17, 2014.

1. mysta2

mysta2 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    My driver side headlight is out in my '08 touring (HID) I bought replacement bulbs on Priuschat recommendation. Swapped that one out, no change. Is the ballast next on the list?

Also, this may be a coincidence. But that headlight assembly seems to be a bit leaky. After a rain a fair amount of condensation gets in there.

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    No coincidence, you should fix the leak or replace the headlight enclosure. That moisture probably caused damage to the ballast or corrosion in the connections.

3. mysta2

mysta2 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I'd like to repair the leak. Is there a particular type of silicone/ adhesive I should use in gluing them back up?

4. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  5. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
  6. Fifine

Fifine Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi Patrick

In case you still receive this thread: is the ballast in the enclosure on headlight assembly attached by 4 screws?

There's a DANGER label on this piece warning of "Shock, Burn" etc. Is it safe to remove to check for leak and water damage?

Also, the Super Glue you recommended in Post #4 is a permanent "sealant", correct? I'm not sure if/why I may want to open the headlight assembly in the future??? But just in case, can I use a lithium based sealant instead?

Thanks.

7. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I haven't had a problem with the headlight ballast in my 2004 so I don't have personal experience with this. According to the exploded parts diagram in my repair manual, the four screws hold an access plate. Then it looks like there is a gasket for that plate and then two screws hold the ballast unit to the headlight housing.

Yes, the warning label shows that you have HID headlights. I assume that the car will be IG-OFF, the headlight switch will be off, and you will remove the wiring harness connector to the headlight assembly before taking anything apart. If my assumption is correct then you have nothing to worry about with regards to high voltage.

I don't have experience with the sealant that you mentioned.

8. Fifine

Fifine Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The assembly is removed and many yards from the car :unsure:
    Just wanted to make sure there's no residual charge under that DANGER plate!!!

Thanks again : )