1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

One House term is too short to be Prez

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by daniel, Apr 2, 2007.

1. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Abraham Lincoln's political experience before being elected to the presidency was a single term in the House of Representatives. Soon after he was elected, he faced the greatest crisis our nation has ever seen: the secession of seven states from the Union, followed by the rest of the South. When war broke out he had minimal military knowledge, but he listened to his generals, he read the books they recommended to him, he educated himself on military theory, and once he recognized which of his generals were competent, he listened to them and gave them significant latitude.

In spite of his very short prior political experience, he is universally recognized as one of the best presidents the country has ever had, and plenty of people consider him to have been the best.

Let nobody say that Barak Obama is too inexpereinced to be a good, or even a great president. He is honest. He is intelligent. He reads books. And he has a history of working with the opposition to find mutually-acceptable solutions, rather than name-calling to divide the nation. Nobody else on the political scene comes close to his qualifications.

2. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I think it comes down to character.

For some, a single term is enough.

For others, no amount of terms is enough.

I agree about Obama. Whatever ticket he ends up on in whatever capacity it is....that's the ticket I'm voting.

3. huskers

huskers Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Agreed. Some don't have any experience in Washington before being elected president.

4. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(huskers @ Apr 2 2007, 07:48 PM) [snapback]416708[/snapback]</div>
    It might be an advantage. :D

Tom

5. larkinmj

larkinmj New Member

The only prior experience that Bush had (OK, I know the bar is set low here) was governor of Texas. In Texas, the governor is more of a figurehead than a chief executive; sort of like the Queen of England. Oh, and he owned a baseball team. Prior to that, he ran a couple of companies into the ground.
    I have no qualms about any deficit of experience in Barack Obama. And unlike the current president, I'm pretty certain that he would surround himself with advisors that would give him good counsel on matters such as national security. I have not made up my mind 100% (I think I'm rebelling against the early campaign this time around), but among the leading candidates at the moment I don't see anyone better.

6. daronspicher

daronspicher Active Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ Apr 2 2007, 06:20 PM) [snapback]416697[/snapback]</div>
    Do you just make this crap up, or do you just repeat this crap because you have nothing better to do?

How do you know he's honest? I've looked into some of his dealings and am not shy to say Obama is anything but honest.

Intelligent is subjective. He's not really any brighter than your run of the mill office worker. He's reallly nothing special in this category.

He reads books... I guess I don't know if he does or doesn't. I don't think you know either, and if he does, it doesn't qualify him to work at Starbucks much less president.

He's good looking (again subjective since I wouldn't pick him for a magazine cover), tall (er than many), he talks slow and reads from a prepared script. This has your eyes glazed over.

The man would make a horrible president. He's a big empty shell if you take a look beneith the surface.

7. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daronspicher @ Apr 2 2007, 08:35 PM) [snapback]416805[/snapback]</div>
    Read the books he's written instead of just spewing venom based on what you hear from Rush Limbaugh.

8. Wildkow

Wildkow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ Apr 2 2007, 04:20 PM) [snapback]416697[/snapback]</div>
    He smokes tobacco and supports partial birth abortions.

Wildkow
    * Crossout editing on quoted text done by this poster.

9. zapranoth

zapranoth New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Ehh...

So?

10. Stev0

Stev0 Honorary Hong Kong Cavalier

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ Apr 2 2007, 10:37 PM) [snapback]416840[/snapback]</div>
    Now look what you did! You suggested a Republican read a book (other than "My Little Pony")!

11. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Stev0 @ Apr 3 2007, 01:05 AM) [snapback]416894[/snapback]</div>
    "My Pet Goat."

12. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ Apr 2 2007, 07:20 PM) [snapback]416697[/snapback]</div>
    Why are you so insecure about your support for Barrak Hussein Obama? And please do not compare him to Abe Lincoln - the least you could have done was choose a democrat to compare him to - perhaps JFK or FDR - oops all those dems were pro-America and pro-democracy. And there are other comparos - Jimmycarter - no experience, BRILLIANT, read a lot of books etc etc - and he was a miserable failure as president - which i personally think B. Hussein Obama has a better chance of emulating than good old Abe.

13. larkinmj

larkinmj New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Apr 3 2007, 08:35 AM) [snapback]416954[/snapback]</div>
    Barack Hussein Obama was named after his father, who was from Kenya. The name "Hussein", which is Arabic for "good" or "handsome", is as common in Arab and Muslim cultures as "Smith" is here. Yet Fox "News" ceaselessly uses his middle name when referring to Obama, with the intent that it will somehow tie Obama to Saddam Hussein in the minds of their audience. Apparently, for Fox "News" fans, it works.

14. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(larkinmj @ Apr 3 2007, 08:47 AM) [snapback]416957[/snapback]</div>
    i could not care less about his name or religion - just his inexperience. His, for example, setting some pie in the sky date for US retreat from Iraq startles me - a leader would want to consult with his advisors - perhaps military advisors - perhaps those already there and on the ground - perhaps seek outside expert advice -- lets see what abe lincoln did since he was the example offered - did he run and retreat during the darkest days of the civil war?? perhaps that was because he was a republican or he was pro-freedom/pro-America/pro-human rights for all -- in spite of many people back then who thought that African-Americans could not handle freedom.

would it not be nice if B. Hussein Obama believed like Lincoln - that all people deserve to be free?

15. KMO

KMO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    Mmm, freedom=occupation, war=peace. You're mad, doberman. :blink:

And as for "consult with his advisors"? You mean like Bush did prior to invading Iraq? The ones he sacked for telling him and Rumsfeld he needed at least twice as many troops to have a hope of securing the country? :eek:

16. larkinmj

larkinmj New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Apr 3 2007, 09:54 AM) [snapback]416973[/snapback]</div>
    Then why do you repeatedly refer to him as "B. Hussein Obama"? That is not what he calls himself.

17. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Apr 3 2007, 05:35 AM) [snapback]416954[/snapback]</div>
    I am not insecure at all. I am quite confident that he is the best candidate on the horizon. And I'll compare him with a Republican if I like. Once upon a time, Republican politicians were not all crooks.

Carter was not "BRILLIANT." He was intelligent, but indecisive. Obama has shown himself to be decisive and resolute, two characteristics Carter lacked.

I think you are the insecure one. You are terrified that a progressive thinker could actually be elected, motivating you to spout irrational, venomous, hate-filled tirades which have no connection to reality. Face it, David: You're shaking in your boots at the thought of the mere possibility that the American public might turn away from the failed policies of the religious bigots currently controling the Executive branch, though why a Jew should be so enamored of Christian extremists I cannot fathom.

18. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(KMO @ Apr 3 2007, 10:25 AM) [snapback]416981[/snapback]</div>
    ask the germans and the japanese about freedom and war and occupation, perhaps the slaves down south, etc, etc. lets see -- war ended nazism, fascism, japanese imperialism, slavery - -- doing nothing got us Hitler, Stalin, a nuclear NoKo...... and 9/11 -- oops.

If i am not mistaken, both Houses voted on the articles of war, no?

war does = peace

perhaps pacifism = slavery, genocide (how are you going to end darfur?), nazism......

perhaps instead of blinking , open your eyes to reality.

Q? can you identify evil?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(larkinmj @ Apr 3 2007, 10:40 AM) [snapback]416988[/snapback]</div>
    What does he call himself, inexperienced?

19. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daronspicher @ Apr 2 2007, 10:35 PM) [snapback]416805[/snapback]</div>
    Please, share some of these sources with us... Tell us how he isn't honest.

Please, tell us where you got testing scores to show he's not as intelligent as he sounds when he gives speeches and talks off the cuff.

Please, tell me how someone can write successful books without actually reading some to know what makes a literary success. (and your right - literacy doesn't mean anything to the Presidency - just look at Bush!)

As for the rest... you're just trying to distract the issue in a desperate attempt to make him look bad because you're concerned that your party is going to flop in the next election, and can't seem to understand that party is much, much less important than character. Both parties do the exact same stuff, in the exact same way. They both have their pluses and minuses. What we need in the presidency is someone who can listen to intelligent advisor's and work with people of all parties to create a unified government, instead of one that bickers and back-stabs at every chance we get. Of the individuals currently running, that man is Obama.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Wildkow @ Apr 3 2007, 12:11 AM) [snapback]416856[/snapback]</div>
    OMG, he smokes! guess what? i know a ton of people who are smarter than me who smoke. go figure.

OMG, he supports freedom of choice! However, despite your claims he's never supported anything as horrendous as that. The best you and your ilk have come up with so far is a bill he voted against that threatened to infringe on a very important supreme court ruling over a subject that was already covered by law.

Get some new material. And get your stories lined up with your other party members - You indirectly say that Obama is for freedom, then Berman says he's against it. which is it?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Apr 3 2007, 08:54 AM) [snapback]416973[/snapback]</div>
    Berman, your own words betray you. In the very same post, you say you don't care about his name or religion, and yet go out of your way to highlight his middle name in a vain attempt to compare him to a monster and a religion that is very misunderstood and feared by many. Good job.

And just a quick question - How do you know that Obama didn't consult with some military advisor's prior to making his decision? How do you know he didn't talk with those same military advisor's Bush canned for not being yes-men?

You don't, but you act like you do. You try to pass your word off as fact, when it's only fiction.

20. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ Apr 3 2007, 11:36 AM) [snapback]417025[/snapback]</div>
    Wasnt jimmycarter validectorian from anapolis in nuclear physics?

Giuliani is a crook, Romney is a crook, Mcain in a crook? and hillary is sqeaky clean - geez.

OHB is decisive - how can you say that? resolute? about what - funding the war only to have a date pulled from some astrological expert when we should declare defeat and support our troops and withdraw with our tails between legs?

progressive thinker - about what? health care - jeez, name one original concept of his there - or the war on terror.... i am terrorfied about a guy like b. hussein obama with his finger on a $16 TRILLION economy and a bunch of nukes - who is he going to call for help - ghostbusters?

funny thing about your christian extremists - they support israel more than my liberal jewish friends and support freedom and democracy while my liberal friends see nothing wrong with....

women having no rights at all
    stoning people to death
    no free press
    no blind justice systems
    no access to unfiltered news or information
    sending kids to blow themselves up to kill innocent people

in other words they support all the liberal principles i would fight and die for while they blindly support a system that enslaves others and worships death.

liberals canNOT identify evil much less muster the courage to fight it. funny how they support those who are trying to remove from us all the things we take for granted.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(eagle33199 @ Apr 3 2007, 11:50 AM) [snapback]417032[/snapback]</div>
    what monster are you referring to please?