1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

One month old!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by mark_qv, Apr 26, 2005.

1. mark_qv

mark_qv Junior Member

It's now just over a month and 3,000 miles since I took delivery of the new Prius and I'm impressed.

It's T-Spirit spec here in the UK - with all the options, the Alcantara uphostery and is in Pure White. My previous car was a Honda S2000 and whilst the Prius cannot really be compared, the Prius is fulfilling its role as a comfortable and economical commuter car - and is saving me a bundle in company car benefit in kind tax.

My daily commute is a round-trip of almost 90 miles on some of the UK's busiest roads. The journey's a mixture of grid-lock motorway, fast motorway and crawlng urban roads - and my average MPG (imperial) is around 54! What I have discovered is that using the cruise control results in inferior MPG to using the right foot - I suspect due to the relatively harsh acceleration when using "Resume".

Minor niggles with the car are:
    - No Smart key option in UK
    - No HID headlight option in UK
    - Terrible looking wheels (the concept design's were great looking) and they should have been larger to disguise the bulk of the car
    - Parking brake is a sop to the US market - why no BMW 7 series (or Renault Scenic for that matter!) switch operated parking brake?
    - A head-up display for speed and fuel etc would be in keeping with the tech'
    - Faired-in rear wheels like the Honda Insight would look terrific IMHO
    - Graphics on the MFD are more in keeping with an '80's Commodore 64...

Overall the Prius is terrific at fulfilling the role I require it to perform.

More anon.

2. flareak

flareak Fleet Captain

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    yes... the honda insight's rear wheels are terrific. btw, terrific has more than one meaning and i definately mean the latter!!!

3. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

Yes, the MFD graphics is coarse, but it needs to be in order to be functional. Could you imagine workiing with a 1024x768 display that's only 5" viewing at about 1.5 feet away? You'd run yourself off the road before you figured out what you were looking at!

4. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Haha, you should see the Escape Hybrid's Energy Monitor or even the Type-10 Original Prius' screen