1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

One more thread about snow cables

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by osiris12, Dec 13, 2007.

1. osiris12

osiris12 Owner of 3, yes three priuses

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
  2. Rangerdavid

Rangerdavid Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    actually, i've never even seen anything like those before... I also wonder how they work? It doesn't look like there is really enough cable to give good traction, but who knows? may work just fine, and an easy on - off would be a good thing... :D

3. osiris12

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V

I think for the price, I'll give them a try. They seem to be cables. I just have to find out the clearance they provide.

4. Tenebre

Tenebre Custom User Title

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Would the autosock be an alternative for you?

http://www.autosock.com/

I've friends who have used that product and are very happy with it.

5. osiris12

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I've seen this before and must admit I'm a little skeptical. Can it have the same bit as cables or chains when dealing with ice/snow?

6. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Their web site claims that it's better than chains "under certain conditions" but admits that chains are superior "under other conditions," and that the tire socks are not legal when chains are required by law; a tacit, if not explicit, admission that they are not as good as chains.

They don't look very useful to me. This would be kind of like putting burlap bags under the tires, except that they stay on. Sometimes people put burlap bags under the tires when they get stuck. I used to carry burlap bags with me, but they never seemed to help when I got stuck.

7. osiris12

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I kinda feel the same way. Besides, it would negate the grip of the snow tire. I want something that adds to the tire, not mask it. I think I'm going with the cables as a piece of mind equipment (POME).

Well instead of the first set of cables I mentioned, I am gravitating towards the Z cables from SCC.

Will the Security Chain Super cable Z6 SZ123 fit both a P195/60HR-15 and a 175/65-14 tire? I have a 2006 and 2001 prius and would like to interchange the cables between both if needed.

Thanks for everyone's comments.

:D