1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

one organic apple takes one cup of gas

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by kDB, Jun 30, 2006.

1. kDB

kDB New Member

Do you like the taste of juicy organic apples from Washington? They're not bad, but they could taste sweeter if each one didn't involve a cup of gasoline.

In your quest to eat healthier food and do better by the environment, you might want to place more value on local food products than on organic foods...

...Supporting local farms, organic or not, also fights our perverse global food market in which $20 million in U.S.-grown lettuce is exported to Mexico while $20 million Mexican-grown lettuce is imported to the United States each year, as reported in the May-June issue of Mother Jones...

16 Organic Apples and a Gallon of Gas

2. SSimon

SSimon Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    thanks for reinforcing this concept. the nice thing about Whole Foods is that they list the location of origin on all their produce. the bad thing is that organic produce there costs over 100% more than Trader Joes! it's not hard to find locally grown produce if you visit farmers markets but i dont' think they have a whole lot of selection in the organic venue. short of growing your own, what is one to do?

i think the fda has loosened the regulations and the definition of organic foods. this is upsetting to me. if one wants to spend the extra money for a pesticide free product, why shouldn't we be assured that that's what we're getting. i think they're even trying to allow GMO's under the organic label. hmf.

3. tripp

tripp Which it's a 'ybrid, ain't it?

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    That's the nice thing about a home garden. There's very little gasoline involved. I made short trip to buy the seeds, but that's it (and yes, the seeds were probably transported but at a FAR less cost then the finished product). Next year I could even use seeds that I've kept for the purpose and not have to drive anywhere. Of course, there's no way in hell I could possibly feed a family of 4 with my little plot, but if more people had their own small gardens then there would be less demand for many types of produce.

4. burritos

burritos Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(kDB @ Jun 30 2006, 01:57 PM) [snapback]279246[/snapback]</div>
    I wonder how much gas it takes to grow a typical american from birth to death. Let's start with that first gallon of gas to get your mom to the hospital to deliver you. That's the first gallon. Next.

5. MarinJohn

MarinJohn Senior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SSimon @ Jun 30 2006, 12:49 PM) [snapback]279278[/snapback]</div>
    Am I incorrect in that GMO IS alerady allowed in 'organic' milk products?

6. tnthub

tnthub Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SSimon @ Jun 30 2006, 03:49 PM) [snapback]279278[/snapback]</div>
    Whole foods is the company that recently decided not to sell live lobsters, correct? Something about cuelty to animals or something... I think that is what I heard on the news. Our local fisherman were less than impressed.

My wife and sister like to go there to shop. I tend to find the local farm stands, local butcher shops, and local fish stores, plus local prices are often much less expensive.

7. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(burritos @ Jun 30 2006, 11:54 PM) [snapback]279577[/snapback]</div>
    Don't have to start with that first gallon. My wife was taken to the hospital in an EV, and my new daughter was brought home in an EV. Of course that's today's generation... not *our* generation. I've used WAY more gasoline than my daughter ever will... if all goes according to plan.

8. SSimon

SSimon Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MarinJohn @ Jul 1 2006, 10:49 AM) [snapback]279691[/snapback]</div>
    I believe that it is allowed. I also read that there's a movement in trying to strong arm the FDA into weakening restrictions for labeling "organic". The industry is also taking legal action on small local farms that are marketing their dairy products as being free of growth hormones.

9. Marlin

Marlin New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(burritos @ Jul 1 2006, 02:54 AM) [snapback]279577[/snapback]</div>
    How about this attempt... The US consumes 360 million gallons of gasoline each day, yielding 1.2 gallons per capita per day.

So, ignoring the fact that gasoline usage has increased over the past 4 decades, then a 40 year old, like me, will have consumed over 17,000 gallons of gasoline.

10. MarinJohn

MarinJohn Senior Member

Is Human Wastewater Organic???

A West Marin Dairy received organic certification even though it was using grass irrigated with human wastewater.

The article then goes on to state that this kind of process is prohibited under organic management. But the USDA National Organic Standards Board places no further restrictions on reclaimed water...and that there are many loopholes as large companies attempt to relax standards. (my paraphrasing).

excerpted from Point Reyes Light
    http://www.ptreyeslight.com/cgi/news.pl?record=113

11. withersea

withersea DNF is better than DNS

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III

12. SSimon

SSimon Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MarinJohn @ Jul 5 2006, 02:06 PM) [snapback]281561[/snapback]</div>
    I guess the"Organic" labeling is now being diluted.

In late 2005, despite receiving over 350,000 letters and phone calls from OCA members and the organic community, Republican leaders in Congress attached a rider to the 2006 Agricultural Appropriations Bill to weaken the nation's organic food standards in response to pressure from large-scale food manufacturers.

This rider was voted on in conference committee. Here is a list of the members of that committee who pushed this rider through:

* Sen Robert Bennett (R-UT)
    Sen. Thad Cochran (R-MS)
    Sen. Arlen Specter (R-PA)
    Sen. Kit Bond (R-MO)
    Sen. Mitch McConnell (R-KY)
    Sen. Conrad Burns (R-MT)
    Sen. Larry Craig (R-ID)
    Sen. Sam Brownback (R-KS)

"Congress voted to weaken the national organic standards that consumers count on to preserve the integrity of the organic label," said Ronnie Cummins, National Director of the Organic Consumers Association. "The process was profoundly undemocratic and the end result is a serious setback for the multi billion dollar alternative food and farming system that the organic community has so painstakingly built up over the past 35 years.

As passed, the amendment sponsored by the Organic Trade Association allows: Numerous synthetic food additives and processing aids, including over 500 food contact substances, to be used in organic foods without public review. Young dairy cows to continue to be treated with antibiotics and fed genetically engineered feed prior to being converted to organic production. Loopholes under which non-organic ingredients could be substituted for organic ingredients without any notification of the public based on "emergency decrees." OCA will work to reverse this rider with an "Organic Restoration Act" in Congress in 2006.

13. Somechic

Somechic Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    This is a great topic. I actually just read either in my AAA World magazine or Sierra Club magazine about the costs of certain foods. It was a good article and talked about the long term benefits of supporting local growers.

14. AnOldHouse

AnOldHouse Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tnthub @ Jul 2 2006, 06:59 AM) [snapback]280039[/snapback]</div>
    Yes, it was Whole Foods. No more live lobsters or live crabs. It didn't impress local lobsterers, but it certainly appealed to their wacko-PETA-vegan clientele. I'm surprised they still sell meats.

15. sdsteve

sdsteve New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SSimon @ Jul 5 2006, 10:48 AM) [snapback]281515[/snapback]</div>
    You are unfortunately correct. Another case of Republicans bowing to big business at the expense of the consumer. My suggestion? If you buy organic, specifically look for ones that are still truly organic (GMO in the case of milk, but look at the labels). Call the companies that market thier stuff as organic but isn't and tell them it's not acceptable. Tell them WHY you are not buying thier products, and call the comapanies that are still truly organic and tell them why you are buying thiers.

Here's a link to info on the changes:

http://www.organicconsumers.org/sos.cfm

Caveat emptor

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(kDB @ Jun 30 2006, 11:57 AM) [snapback]279246[/snapback]</div>
    Let me preface my comments by stating that I'm a sports nutritionist, and strongly believe in organic when possible... that said, the following is a post I prefaced this article with in a nutritionist newsgroup.

This is an interesting article relating the real costs of food. I have long been an advocate of
    organic food, not only because of the health issues, but because it doesn't have artificial
    preservatives it necessarily needs to be fresher (i.e. less transportation costs) and therefore
    has hidden economic benefits.

I agree with the author on his point that buying locally grown produce, organic or not, has less
    hidden society costs than produce (or any products) that are imported. HOWEVER, since most fresh
    organic produce is grown locally, I'd still recommend organic when practical, and locally grown
    produce when organic is too expensive. I cannot say that about "organic" processed food, but I'm
    generally against most processed foods anyway.

This leads to an interesting point - how many of us modify a menu throughout the year based on
    what is in season locally? Do any of us take the time to think on what can be grown locally and
    specifically use those items on a menu?? I think as nutritionists, we should be spokespeople for
    local (and still preferably organic) farmers.

Steve

PS: As gas prices rise (thanks to the rise of the Stupid Useless Vehicle :), I think we may even
    see an inversion in the cost of produce, where locally grown organic is cheaper than the produce
    from the large, long-distance biohazard farms. Thoughts?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tripp @ Jun 30 2006, 01:55 PM) [snapback]279313[/snapback]</div>
    Tripp:

I thought they had huge plots of land there in CO.... it's us people in CA that get a 1/2 postage stamp.

Here in CA there are a few local organic farms that you can "join". By joining, you get a box of random produce every week or every other week (depending on what plan you sign up for). It's whatever is in season, and sometimes you have to be creative in figuring out what to do with some of it, but it's a direct support of local (and organic) agriculture with no middle man (makes it more affordable). In San Diego, one such place is called "Be Wise Ranch", which may have some contacts in other areas of the country.

As for growing your own in a garden, I'd suggest growing stuff that may produce alot with little space. Tomatoes are relatively easy, and since they grow up on vines, you can produce a fair amount with little land. Fruit trees if you have a little space and they will grow in your area are also a great idea. Fresh herbs are easy enough to grow in a pot, even indoors.

BTW, nobody's brought up the related subject of getting rid of the waste with produce. You don't eat the core of your apple, base of your lettuce, etc. Carting this stuff away has significant economic costs as well. If you have a home garden, consider a small composting bin - you can use it as fertilizer for the garden and don't have to haul as much away. Talk about sustainable agriculture!!

16. kDB

kDB New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(San Diego Steve @ Jul 6 2006, 11:43 AM) [snapback]282057[/snapback]</div>
    why wouldn't you eat the apple core? i always have... seeds and stem too.
    as for other stuff, it usually gets fed to the local rabbits, squirrels and birds. but i usually don't have much to toss.

17. sdsteve

sdsteve New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(kDB @ Jul 6 2006, 06:05 PM) [snapback]282304[/snapback]</div>
    Hmmm, nutritionally speaking it's arguably got a lot of fiber (a very good thing), but little taste. I think most people toss those parts in the trash. But it's up to the individual (I can't think of anything unhealthy about it).

I'm personally not big on leaving it for the local population - they eat enough of my garden :) There are tons of rabits around that I have to spray stuff that smells like fox urine. Now I seem to be being invaded by lizards (I live by the coast, not the middle of the desert!). But I get your point, you're not tossing it in the trash, which is a good thing.

Some of the possible compost things are:
    Melon, orange, lemon rinds
    banana peels
    apple cores
    bases for celery/lettuce
    ends of tomatoes/cucumbers/squash
    I've heard of some people composting leaves

Basically any part of produce that you don't eat, you can compost. Even stuff that's "gone bad", like bruised areas of apples or browned lettuce (it's got a head start on what's going to happen in the compost bin anyway).

18. SSimon

SSimon Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Or, you can leave your rotten fruit out when you make a butterfly feeding station. Lots of butterflies that don't visit flowers will be very attracted to rotten fruit. :)