1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

One reason for backup alarm

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Bob Allen, Oct 30, 2006.

1. Bob Allen

Bob Allen Captainbaba

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I disconnected the backup alarm because it's annoying while parallel parking. That said, I discovered a good reason for leaving it connected........ I was stopped at an intersection of two four-lane streets. Because of the angle of intersection, cars coming from my right wishing to turn onto the street I was on were given a wide left turn area and the stop line in my lane was appropiately painted far back from the actual intersection. I ended up stopping somewhat beyond that stop line so I backed up slightly before cars coming from behind me trapped me in the path of left turning cars. It was a long light, and I forgot that I was in reverse. Fortunately, there was no one behind me as I began backing up instead of moving forward when the light went green. Could have been an awkward situation in which I almost "front-ended" someone. The beep would have alerted me.

Just a thought
    B

2. PA

PA Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    Yeah, I thought about disabling the backup alarm, but there have been a few times when I've been distracted and "forgot" to shift back into D. So, I guess I'll put up with it if that's what it takes to keep me from backing into someone/something accidentally.

3. DavidTO

DavidTO New Member

I like it. I mean, how long is it on at any given time?

4. EddieF

EddieF New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DavidTO @ Oct 30 2006, 06:16 PM) [snapback]341008[/snapback]</div>
    I agree. Until I got my Prius (now almost a month ago), I drove a stock. I always knew I was in gear to move forward just because of the position of the shifter.

5. fphinney

fphinney Member

I have to agree with most of the comments above.

I think Toyota did good -

It feels like someone up there is constantly reminding me to a little more careful when backing. Lord know most of us could use a little extra oversight?

[​IMG]

6. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DavidTO @ Oct 30 2006, 04:16 PM) [snapback]341008[/snapback]</div>
    It stays beeping until you shift out of R.

7. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Bob Allen @ Oct 30 2006, 06:51 PM) [snapback]340942[/snapback]</div>
    Just remember, if this ever happens, to jump out of your car and yell at the driver behind you: "What the hell are you doing! I'm just sitting here and you drive into the back of me? Where the hell did you learn to drive..." ;)

Tom

8. DavidTO

DavidTO New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Oct 30 2006, 11:27 PM) [snapback]341149[/snapback]</div>

You're joking, right? :D

In case you're not: my point was, it's not like I spend my life driving in reverse. It's on, it serves a purpose, it goes away.

9. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    never had the reverse beep on any car i have ever owned and dont see a reason to start it now. first thing i did when i purchased both my Priuses was to disable the beep

10. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(qbee42 @ Oct 31 2006, 08:14 AM) [snapback]341201[/snapback]</div>
    LOL! I like that. :D

11. Charles Suitt

Charles Suitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <_< I did disable the "reverse alarm" because it was irritating to me. HOWEVER, after nearly backing into my wife (Definitely not a GOOD IDEA !), I snooped around on PriusChat and found a simple modification which would re-enable the reverse alarm to sound both inside AND outside. Since the Prius is so 'sneaky' in reverse, people near your back may not realize you are in reverse gear.

:unsure: Can't find the reference right now, but basically it's a RadioShack intermittent buzzer wired into the left rear tail light enclosure from inside that buzzes when the backup light is actuated. As I recall, about a $10 modification simple to install. I haven't done that since I'm trading my 2004 for a 2007 and wanted to leave it 'standard.' If I can locate the reference, I'll post it here.

12. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PA @ Oct 30 2006, 07:04 PM) [snapback]340998[/snapback]</div>
    I think there's a "break even" point for safety items, and for me, the internal backup beeper crosses the line. It's intrusive and makes it difficult for me to concentrate while backing, and, frankly, I don't think the Prius is any easier to leave in reverse than any other car.

Next: a warning label on boxes of Pampers that says, "CAUTION: remove baby before disposing of diaper."

13. PriusRos

PriusRos A Fairly Senior Member - 2016 Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Bob Allen @ Oct 30 2006, 05:51 PM) [snapback]340942[/snapback]</div>
    I think the backup alarm is a good thing for precisely the type of reason you mentioned -- it IS easy to forget you are in reverse, especially because the shift lever does not stay in in the reverse position.

However, I do think it is unnecessarily and rudely loud -- like you have done something wrong.

14. Allannde

Allannde Just a Senior

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I open the driver's window when I back up. Don't know why I started, just do. My wife tells me that she can hear the beep from outside (I always back into the garage). Toyota made it so it CAN be disabled for people like Dave. We can all be happy!

15. silentak1

silentak1 Since 2005

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    It's a great feature, but i prefer to have it disabled. Yes it increases risk but I find it somewhat annoying (eventhough it's only for a few seconds).

A funny thing about the beep is that people freak out and always tell me "why is your car beeping? we all have our seat belts on!" hehehe :)

16. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(silentak1 @ Oct 31 2006, 08:18 PM) [snapback]341619[/snapback]</div>
    I tell them the battery is going to explode... :eek:

Tom

17. Stannehi

Stannehi New Member

I JUST bought my 07 Prius. It was between that and the new MDX (how's that for a broad range?).

So far, like everyone else, I love it.

But the very first thing I did was disable the backup beeper (btw the easter egg instructions worked perfectly for me). At first I saw no reason for it, but some of the posts made me realize it's virtually silent when backing up, so at least now I know why they added it.

That said I have the rear camera so whenever I back up, the camera comes on, so I have no problem knowing I'm in reverse without the beep.

Some people have talked about disabling the seatbelt beeper, but I'm keeping that one. First of all it's not constant and secondly, I DO need to be reminded to always use it . . .

18. Stev0

Stev0 Honorary Hong Kong Cavalier

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DaveinOlyWA @ Oct 31 2006, 09:53 AM) [snapback]341216[/snapback]</div>
    Using that logic, you never owned a hybrid, why start now?

19. Tony_Min

Tony_Min New Member

There is nothing scarier than waiting at a red light behind someone with their reverse lights on. Yes, I agree, some people need a backup beeper.
    I don't...

20. Beryl Octet

Beryl Octet New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    It seems easier in a Prius to forget which gear you are in, because in a conventional (for want of a better term) car the position of the column or floor shifter is an immediate physical reminder of which gear you are in. But the toggle style gear selector stays in the same place for the most part. I turned the beep off for a while, but turned it back on.