1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

One smartkey for two priuses?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by spork3000, Jan 18, 2009.

1. spork3000

spork3000 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Hi - we just became a 2-Prius family with the addition today of a used 2005 prius to our existing 2006 model. Since the used Prius only came with a single key, I was researching into additional SKS fobs... when I came up with the question as to whether our existing 2006 fobs could ALSO be programmed into the 2005 car? I.e. could we use our existing keys to open/start both cars?

Has anyone tried this? It would seem that since the car is programmed to accept the fob, and the fob itself isn't programmed, this should be possible. Of course, the metal key stored in the fob would only open 1 of the cars, but that could easily be remedied through the "magnetic spare key" idea I've seen posted numerous times.

2. firepa63

firepa63 Former Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    There was a thread posted just a few days ago asking the same thing. Search for the thread. The short answer is NO.

3. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    The fobs use a rolling code. Each time a fob is used with a car the code jumps to the next value. The long and the short of it is that the fob gets out of sequence with the other car. In theory you could make this work if you resynchronized each time, but in practice no one has made it work.

A two car fob would be a nice option, just in case Toyota is reading this post.

Tom