1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

One time good deal

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by AzWxGuy, May 21, 2017.

1. AzWxGuy

AzWxGuy Weather Guy

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    Received an email service coupon from my dealer (decidedly not "stealer") a week ago for an inspection and oil change. I was coming up on my 140K service anyway. It was from my Desert Toyota service manager here in Tucson, and advertised an oil change and multi-point inspection all for the ridiculously low price of $23.99. Made the appointment, and when I showed up my service writer said that the coupon deal was a "mistake" but they were honoring it anyway. I think it was clever marketing. While I sat and waited in view of my service writer's desk there were at least 7 more customers showing up with the coupon. The usual charge is about $60 for this service.

Rebound likes this.
  2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    To what extent did the service writer try to upsell you on other services?

I recently went to Precision Toyota to get the brake actuator on the 2007 replaced under the extended warranty. The service writer provided me a long list of recommended services which supposedly were developed by the tech who worked on the car. One of the services was a brake fluid flush.

However, the brake actuator service requires new brake fluid, and the fluid in the reservoir looks new. So that recommendation would be redundant...

3. AzWxGuy

AzWxGuy Weather Guy

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    When I purchased my first Prius, a 2008, at Chapman here in Tucson, the salesman recommended service with Terry at Desert Toyota. I have been going there ever since. I did practically all the maintenance on my 2008, and learned the Prius Way by studying a Haynes manual and spending quality time here on PriusChat. When I traded up to my 2011, which I purchased from Desert Toyota, I decided to continue with the excellent service I had been receiving from them. The oil change became quite a bit more of a job which I was more than happy to turn over to the excellent mechanics at Desert Toyota. Never got an upsell of any sort from Terry, but he knows that I know quite a bit about this vehicle. When my A/C compressor failed a couple years ago he tracked down a used part up in Phoenix, arranged for shipment, and had the shop install it. Sure, no warranty, but I still have great A/C today and for a fraction of the cost of a new compressor. I've got nothing but good things to say about Desert Toyota.

Patrick Wong likes this.