1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

One-touch window switch for all windows

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by SPEEDEAMON, Sep 23, 2008.

1. SPEEDEAMON

SPEEDEAMON Professional Car Nut

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I looked for this thread but couldn't find any. I would like the One-touch window switch currently available for the driver's window only for all windows. Is this simply replacing the standard switch with the auto up/down switch or is there more than that?

If there's a thread, please direct me to it.
    Thank you

2. wchardin

wchardin Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I looked around a little and found this thread, but it doesn't have a product or way for making your windows auto, but worth the read.

http://priuschat.com/forums/prius-modifications/33612-all-auto-window-switches.html

I remember looking for auto window controls when I was going to retrofit my 4Runner, I will look and see if I can find the website that sold them, although I don't know if they will work on the Prius. I thought maybe Coastal E Tech would have something like that, but they don't.

3. SPEEDEAMON

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Thanks for the reference. After reading that thread, it seems like I need to buy 3 sets of driver's window switches and motors to make it work. Probably an expensive conversion. :(

4. wayside

wayside New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    A pair of DEI's 530t window modules will do the trick. No need to change switches or motors, just wire them in line and provide 12V power and your good to go. These modules are generally used to automate window functions via an aftermarket alarm system but will do what you need. Also, if you can find a 'ground while armed' or ' ground while locked' you can have the windows roll up when your alarm arms or when you lock the doors.

5. SPEEDEAMON

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Thanks Wayside. have you installed this? It seems straight forward and inexpensive, a definite consideration.

6. wayside

wayside New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I have done this installation three times (camry, integra, yaris) but have not done it to the prius (yet). As long as you are not afraid to cut some wires and you have the schematic of the window system this job is not very difficult at all.

7. SPEEDEAMON

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Thanks Wayside. I guess together with the auto-lock switch this will make a good combination.

8. JoesMorgue

JoesMorgue Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I did this to my truck. It was a package: Remote start, remote/auto headlights, remote window control, and standard alarm. This system did it all, it was designed to work with diesels, and manual transmissions (mine was.) One of the big things I liked (miss) was the all dashboard features stayed on until you opened a door. (You could shut down, and wait for the song to finish, play with the wipers, windows, even heater controls worked!) Back to my point. I learned that if I parked with the A/C on, and set the remote start, when I came out of work, I would start my truck, roll down the windows, then roll them back up, the heat released by the time the windows cycled with the A/C pushing the heat out, the truck cabin was ALMOST comfortable (warm still, but not HOT) and for a black truck with the windows up in the sun, that was GREAT!

Point is: Set it up so you can roll down your windows with the remote too! (Maybe hit unlock a third time or something) Getting that heat out REALLY makes a difference!

9. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    For heat removal I came up with my own mod for the windows, which
    also addresses the "oops, I forgot to put them up before shutdown"
    problem. I like to open up all the *doors* and hatch to get
    the accumulated heat out; it lets a lot more breeze through at
    first [much less A/C load] and I defy you to find an automatic
    system that'll do *that*!
    As far as auto-up/down, we'll note that only one of the physical
    switches in the prius driver's door control has the little "extra
    click" that invokes the auto mode. To get true seamless
    functionality you'd need four of them, but the DEI modules sound
    like a nice workaround. It's slightly worrisome that Directed
    Electronics doesn't seem to have a site, i.e. directedelectronics.com
    goes to some "coming soon" domain-squatter page, and I can't find
    any manuals online for the thing.
    _H*

10. wayside

wayside New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
  11. jelloslug

jelloslug It buffed right out!

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Don't forget that the Prius uses the same window motors and switches as many other Toyota and Lexus vehicles. If one wanted to swap in factory style auto windows (2 step switches and anti pinch motors) you could do it rather cheaply with eBay parts.

12. fruzzetti

fruzzetti Customization-Obsessed

California (Pulled over 6x, ticketed 2x for tint)
    Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Working on it. But mine's expensive. Two computers are required.

13. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    I know that at least one Prius driver exists who likes to leave the windows (slightly) open on the parked car, but who does not like to run outside when the rain comes. Therefore, whoever designs these circuits, please make them so that a separate moisture sensing grid could advise the car to close up on its own. Thanks.

14. ibmindless

ibmindless Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I'd like to get the arrangement the Aptera uses: a roof mounted solar panel that always runs the cockpit climate control. So when you return to your parked vehicle on a hot, sunny day, instead of being greeted with 125 degree temp's, you get a cool 75 degrees.

15. talonts

talonts VFAQman

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I always leave the front windows cracked, it helps a little in the Florida sun. I just use Weathertech window visors on the front windows (I had them on the rear, but due to the shape of the window and how it lowers, cracking them leaves a gap at the back that rain can get in, so I just gave the rears to my dad for his 06).

As for the moisture sensing, I think there are aftermarket wiper add-ons that start them when they sense rain, you could probably hack one of those into the UP circuit.