1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

One week into ownership...the good and the niggles

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by richbaxter, Oct 22, 2017.

1. richbaxter

richbaxter Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So I've had my Prius Gen 3 T-Spirit now for just over a week. I'm thoroughly impressed with it so far! Yes, it is a completely different driving experience but it becomes somewhat addictive to drive and I'm still learning things as I didn't even know there was a normal mode (with everything off) until today! I tend to keep it mostly in Eco mode so far with a mix of town driving and a few longer journeys. I've not had one person say they don't like the car when inside and myself and my partner both thing the interior is nicer then the new Prius.

There are a few niggles though. Firstly, for a car with so much tech and gizmos and being the T-Spirit model, I am utterly baffled as to why it doesn't have automatic headlights, auto dimming rearview mirror and even more bonkers, no heated leather seats! How can a car with leather seats not have heated seats?? Every car I've owned since the late 1990's with leather seats has had heated seats. I find the lack of these in such a high tech car pretty poor to be honest.

The final thing that is a little frustrating is the awful boot liner. OK, I can sort of see why it can be useful...if you want to leave a boot full of stuff on show to the general public but I've never had a car with a soft boot liner before and i am not a fan, especially when you own a small Shiht-zu who has a habit in previous cars of jumping on it. Is there a hard (even 3rd party) parcel shelf available? As a full time musician, I constantly have equipment in the back and the boot liner is not ideal.

Other then these niggles, I really love the car and yes, i will be spending that £170 to get the sat nav updated too!

2. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The heated leather seats, auto-dimming mirror, and automatic headlights are all standard on packages IV and above for the Gen3 state-side. The UK has its own import packages, and that's Toyota UK's decision to not import lots of things everyone else gets. I guess you also don't get the HID lights on any packages right, because of some washer requirement? Anyways, all of those are things that can be solved by swapping in original Toyota parts from outside your local area or aftermarket if you want. It is silly that the "t-spirit" model which is supposedly the touring equivalent doesn't have all this stuff, but that is true in all the UK and during some previous generations all of Europe. You probably also have rear disk brakes versus the drums in the US right?

For the cargo-space liner lots of companies make hard sided covers for them. Weathertech makes them for the Gen-3, here is the product page. As the BBC would say, other brands are available.

2010 Toyota Prius | Cargo Mat and Trunk Liner for Cars SUVs and Minivans | WeatherTech.com

3. richbaxter

richbaxter Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the reply 2K1Toaster! If I could get the auto headlights, auto dimming rearview and heated seats upgraded in my car, I would love to! Not sure how to go about that at the moment though. You may have misunderstood me about the boot liner though. I have that floor liner (which i have removed as i need regular access to the hidden compartments underneath and having that in place isn't useful) what I meant was the roller cover. I've never had that on a car and prefer a hard parcel shelf. If there is a 3rd party one of those, that would be my first upgrade!

4. 2k1Toaster

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The cargo cover like this?

[​IMG]

If so, then not that I know of. I don't think there is much demand for anything of that sort. I've never seen one, or seen anyone use it. That's the first thing in all our vehicles that gets ripped out and put in the garage until the car is sold or traded in. Completely useless for most things. It is not meant to store anything. It is meant to provide shade or security cover to what you have back there. 99% of the time it just gets in the way of putting actual stuff back there. The plastic bits that it rests in and clips onto are not meant to hold any weight at all other than the cover.

5. richbaxter

richbaxter Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, thats the part. As you say, totally useless! I'm going to tint the rear windows anyway as i do travel with s lot of gear for my live shows. Just a shame there isn't a hard parcel shelf.

6. CNYhybrid

CNYhybrid Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    As far as the cargo mat the Weathertech is a one piece which blocks access to both the tray underneath and the clips if you get the cargo net. The genuine Toyota all weather cargo mat is a two piece unit which allows easy access to both. I am not aware of any hard cargo cover, nor how you would even mount one. I agree that the Gen 3 interior is nicer than the Gen 4 but I really like the Prime interior.

SCH-I545 using PriusChat mobile app

7. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Appears that full time musician didn't do part time investigation on trim options. Prius 4 and 5 have all those trim options.

8. 2k1Toaster

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    True, however if you had read the rest of the thread you would notice that the OP is in the UK. Toyota UK does not have a Prius 1/2/3/4/5/Touring/ATP. Your 3 choices are T-3, T-4, and T-Spirit. The T-Spirit is the highest package and while leather is an option, it is a 1500GBP option on all 3 packages, not standard on any of them. And the leather does not come with heated seats on any of them.

The T-Spirit has automatic headlamp leveling, but not automatic headlamps. You have to turn them on/off. Another difference from the USDM packages.

Auto-dimming rear view mirror is also an option completely missing from the UKDM options.

9. richbaxter

richbaxter Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks 2K1Toaster. I thought grid's comment was a tad harsh considering we don't have the same versions here in the UK and the T-Spirit I have is the top model. I don't even think my headlights self level as I have the manual adjustment just right of the steering wheel.

jerrymildred likes this.
  10. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Try that (newly discovered) "Normal" mode more, I think you'll like it. After switching between ECO and Normal for a bit, I found Normal was getting similar mpg, and the pedal feel better too, by no means touchy. If anything, it's EASIER to modulate.

Merkey likes this.
  11. richbaxter

richbaxter Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Absolutely agree with you. I was using it today and it felt a lot better to drive all round and more responsive. I didn't notice the miles left in the tank dropping any quicker.

12. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Sorry Richbaxter, just learned from your post that the line of UK prius is not the same as US.

I retract my statement above, apologies my friend.

13. 2k1Toaster

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Then you don't have a T-Spirit, that simple. T-3 and T-4 have the manual headlamp adjuster only. T-Spirit has auto-headlamp adjust only. There is no option here. So if you don't have auto-headlamps, you don't have a T-Spirit.

You mention you had the nav package because you are going to upgrade your maps. If you have navigation and a T-Spirit, then you should also have the IPA (Intelligent Park Assist). If you don't, then again it is not a T-Spirit.

Do you have cruise control? If you do, then you have a T-4 as it is not available on the T-3 but comes with the T-4 and T-Spirit. Same with the rain-sensing automatic wipers, only on the T-4 and T-Spirit and the 3-door ("All Door" in Toyota speak even though it isn't) SKS (Smart Key System). Do you have the SKS on both front doors and the hatch? If so, then a T-4. If not, then a T-3.

14. richbaxter

richbaxter Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    No worries grid! We can blame Toyota for being so confusing! :)

15. richbaxter

richbaxter Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I love the way I'm being told what I have rather then listening to what I'm saying and treating me like an idiot. I HAVE a T-Spirit. It has Intelligent Park Assist, cruise control, HDD music server (which is rubbish) maps stored on a hard drive and not a DVD blah blah blah....its a Gen 3 T-Spirit! But yes, to the right of the steering wheel, I have manual headlight levelling adjustment.

I'll post some pictures if there is still questions over my sanity....

16. 2k1Toaster

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Toyota UK does not sell a T-Spirit model with manual adjust headlamps. If you have it, they didn't come with the car. I am only going off of what you said. It is extremely common for dealers (even Toyota dealers) to accidentally sell a used car as a higher package than it is because the people making the window sticker can't possibly memorize all the minutia for each and every model that comes across their lot and they only have so long to do it. We get posts on PC all the time that "I bought a Prius package 4 but I don't have 3 door SKS" and stuff like that. Answer is, you didn't buy a Prius package 4, because then you'd have 3-door SKS, but the dealer mis-sold you something.

In your case, something is wrong. The T-Spirit never has, ever, come with manual level headlamps. The T-3 and T-4 do. If the car was in a front end collision and repaired with the cheaper lights and they added the manual control? Maybe. Could be a T-4 model that they added factory or aftermarket extras to. Either way, Toyota UK did not receive it that way. That's the entire reason for packages. Unlike most German cars you can't willy-nilly add options to a Toyota. They sell them in packages, and that's the only way they leave the factory. Even dealerships can only request certain build specs (aka packages) with perhaps certain details (like paint colour) and they may get one allocated to them, or they may not. Toyota will not make a car to a spec. They make cars how they want in certain packages, and you get what you get. This is in stark contrast to like a Porsche where you can customize everything down the contrast colour stitching in the upholstery and the dealership puts your order into the factory and the factory builds your car for you for your delivery. Toyota don't play that game.

Of course it could be another lost in translation issue.

Does your leveler switch look like this (the one the finger is adjusting)?

prius_rocker.jpg

17. richbaxter

richbaxter Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The car hasn't been in an accident and repaired. The car is as it is. I'll take pics and upload them but the IPA, cruise control and all the other features only the T-Spirit has proves it is a T-Spirit. Considering its missing basic functions such as the heated seats, auto on/off headlights and auto dimming rearview mirror (all of which is tech that I have had on cars much older then this), then the lack of auto levelling headlights isn't much of a surprise either really.

18. 2k1Toaster

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Yes there is a marked difference.

"Missing" items that no Toyota Prius in the UK has (the heated seats, auto on/off headlamps, and autodimming rearview mirror) is very different than missing a feature that is one of the key separating items in a package.

Does the control you are talking about look like the image I posted?

19. 2k1Toaster

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Here is the full list. Again, this is definitive.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

20. richbaxter

richbaxter Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Here you go:

Attached Files: