1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

One week into ownership

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by abeagler, May 29, 2006.

1. abeagler

abeagler New Member

Bought my 2001 Prius a week ago. With a few minor exceptions I am loving it! We're hovering around 43.8 mpg after about 700 miles so far, a lot of that in short, somewhat hilly in-town driving with the AC blasting. I'm finding these forums very informative

The minor exceptions:
    --We bought in a private sale. We asked the seller to get the check engine light checked, as it was on. He took it to the dealer, they said it was a loose variable valve something or other (P1436 and P1437, I think). They tightened things up, it went away. I bought the car. Light came back on the next day. Doh! It's driving fine, but I need to get that looked at.
    --Funky smell. When we get in, though we don't notice it after a few seconds
    --CD player doesn't work; we knew this when we bought it, I may or may not see if I can get it fixed

All (hopefully, in the case of the check engine light) pretty minor stuff. Overall, though, it's tamed my lead foot, which will likely help me in the long run :)

2. ghostofjk

ghostofjk New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(abeagler @ May 29 2006, 11:55 AM) [snapback]262407[/snapback]</div>
    Welcome to PriusChat, and congrats!

Did your seller pay the dealer to "tighten things up"? If so, I assume the dealer'll make it right at no additional charge.

There were a few complaints about funky smells on '01s originating from the "big" battery (just behind the rear seat). I myself had it on my '01---but very occasionally. Yours sounds like a constant smell. You might want to stick your head all the way in the trunk and sniff around the base of the back seat.

3. abeagler

abeagler New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ghostofjk @ May 30 2006, 02:05 AM) [snapback]262648[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks! It doesn't seem as strong in the trunk, but maybe I just haven't paid too much attention in there. hanks for the tip.

Likely will take it to the dealer tomorrow, we'll see what we hear.

It's real nice to have such an extensive forum for a car!