1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

One week old 2011 Prius owner.

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by Cyberous, Aug 13, 2011.

1. Cyberous

Cyberous Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I picked up my new Prius last Saturday with 9 miles on the OD. Traded in a 2004 Volvo XC70 that I just loved (with the exception of mpg's.)

Went to go look at a used 2010 with 20K miles, but they wanted way too much money so for a few grand more I end up with a new 2011 p2. Only thing I wish it had that I'm still trying to figure out is Sirius Radio. I pulled the receiver unit out of the Volvo prior to trading it in but can't find the parts I need with out purchasing the entire TOY kit.

On a side note I got the Prius for the amazing mpg, but I'm finding my self trying to squeeze more miles each day. Mind you I've only filled it up once in the past week and didn't really need to just wanted to reset the trip. I'm currently avg 54mpg,.. good right? well not compared to hypermilers but...

D

Attached Files:

2. car compulsive

car compulsive Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Welcome. I agree that buying a used Gen III doesn't currently make a lot of economic sense. I assume they must get people who want one RIGHT NOW to buy them at those prices.

3. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Welcome aboard D! 54 is great.

4. Cyberous

Cyberous Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks Spiderman, I know I can do better.

Ever hear that story about walking up hill in the snow both ways. Seems to be one of my biggest hurdles to better mpgs. I live fairly close to the ocean so my morning commute is very cool 50-60 in the summer. By mid day it will warm up 70-80's but by the time I get off work the hi/low pressure of ocean and land create horrible wind that I have to drive into that really sucks for mpgs. On top of this the area I live in is hilly, so all these factors are huge challenges to get better mpg with out going 20mph and pissing off every other driver on the road =)

D

5. The Critic

The Critic Resident Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Welcome, I live in your area as well. 54 is pretty good, but you guys must have a lot of flat roads in Hollister in order to get that kind of mileage.

With my lead-foot, I average about 44 on my Prius on my commute from Marina to Monterey everyday.

6. Rokeby

Rokeby Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Re: thread title

Can't help but envision

[​IMG]

You need to buckle-up there, Bucko! ;)

7. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    :welcome: Welcome to Priuschat and Prius ownership.
    I've said it before and I'll say it again: I never cared for white cars but the white Gen3 is a really sharp looking car. Good call on going new rather than overpaying for used.

In terms of getting better mileage, it's my opinion that you should drive the car for now. To me, getting the car and immediately trying to hyper mile is like buying a new table saw and expecting cabinetry that afternoon. Get to know the car first. Besides, when you worry too much about the mileage you risk losing track of how fun it is to drive. So my advice is that you just drive the car for a while and enjoy it.

Congrats!

8. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Congrats. If I may add, leave your "Trip B" alone to keep a running life time MPG.

1 person likes this.
  9. Cyberous

Cyberous Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    @ The_CriticYea I'm taking back roads on the way to and from work, they are thru the flat(er) farm lands, but they are very bumpy and lots of stops (signs, tractors, labor workers.) This is where I can go 40-43, anything slower than that I just can't do. I did learn a neat trick however, since I live on a hill the last 1/3 mile is really steep and an MPG killer but figured out if I put it in EV mode prior to starting up and as long as the battery is full it gets my to my garage before it shuts off =) granted I can only go 10-15mpg but that's ok since its private property.

Rokeby-Love the picture.

Tonypshaefer- Everyone I know was surprised to see me get a white car. My XC70 was black, my Merc is Black, and the past 4 cars prior were black. I think I went white to be a contradiction of my gas guzzling past you know white=good, LOL also easier to keep clean.

Good suggestion Fodz737, I will do that!

Here is a pic of good and evil...

Attached Files:

10. NYPrius1

NYPrius1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
  11. pakitt

pakitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    :welcome:

After 2 years, I am currently seeing that the best way to improve MPG is to make sure you "never" brake - that is, make the ride as smooth as possible and try to predict traffic and traffic lights the most to avoid abrupt braking. Accelerating with "eco" light still on is OK. I haven't tried to go beyond that. I have noticed that accelerating like a granny looking never to get the HSI bar just a little beyond the middle line, does not help at all. Predicting traffic, it does.

I would simply drive the car and look out what happens out there with the other drivers to drive smooth, but following traffic flow.

Maybe setting the tires around 39/37psi can help. Also I have noticed that A/C on or off makes a difference (maybe 0.2-0.3L/100km).

I am currently getting in town in my commute an average of 4.6L/100km (51mpg) with temperatures about 13-25C, cold engine, by following the tips above. I have my display set to 1-minute consumption but I am not looking at it and my head-up display now shows only the speed and not the HSI bar anymore.
    My past tank and current one (100% city traffic with *very* short highway driven at 85km/h max) are on 4.48L/100km (52.5mpg) and 4.34L/100km (54.1mpg) respectively. My return leg is always better in terms of fuel efficiency because the engine does not start cold (I can park my car in the company's underground car park).

Before doing this my average was 4.7L/100km (50mpg), but driving like a granny. So now I am consuming on average a tad less, but I am getting faster to where I want without (supposedly) annoying anybody... ;)
    All the numbers above are strictly city traffic and calculated (6% overestimation from MFD) with a few 2-3km stretches without traffic lights where I can drive up to 70km/h. Your 54mpg is in my opinion pretty good, but average speed and type of route would make my statement more qualified.
    Moreover, you could check this out as a reference of what you can achieve with the Prius is the real world and without hypermiling:
    What to expect from the Prius – a (very personal) table overview on fuel consumption
    and here also a few additional tips for the "normal" driver:
    Tips & tricks for the “normal” driver to achieve satisfying fuel efficiency on the Prius Gen 3

12. Cyberous

Cyberous Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hello all,.. I'm in Austin Tx and missing my little car. I drove it to the airport on Sunday and parked it with 55.8 (woot.)

Did you know National (its my company rental carier of choice) does not have hybrids,.. that totally sucks I'm driving a Camery, but my driving technique is the same as when I drive my Prius, not too hard on the gas, coast down hills, don't break LOL, I'm obsessed with MPG's!!

Anyway I appreciate the feedback and will go take a look as soon as I get a chance.

Hope your all doing well.

D

13. Cyberous

Cyberous Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  14. tedjohnson

tedjohnson Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Welcome, you will love it. Our 2010 has 24 k miles right now with a lifetime average of 58 from the display and 56 from the pump calculations. The Prius does well without any hypermiling. My S.O. put about 3,000 miles on it driving normally and got 59 mpg indicated. With hypermiling I would do maybe 64 mpg, so not a big difference. Do keep the tire pressures at sidewall max - it makes a big difference on how the car rolls along on electric. I do not find hills bother the mpg, daily run up a 1000 ft climb and down again gets 65 mpg doing this, since it coasts down with the engine off. Great car , don't know why anyone would buy anything else, in this price range

15. Mark57

Mark57 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR AWD

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Welcome to the forum and to Prius ownership. As you've already found out, getting good mpg is addicting.;)

16. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    +1,

I was thinking, wow! I was 18 years old before I bought my first car.

17. Rokeby

Rokeby Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    xs650,

I got my first vehicle, a Honda S-90 at 16:

[​IMG]
    My best buddy also drove one. We called them "Hardly Davidsons."

I got my first four wheel vehicle, a '40 Ford Panel Truck at 17:

[​IMG]

I needed the truck to take the Cycle to Pete's Cycle, then in Cockeysville,
    MD, for it's 1000 mi services. In ways I can no longer remember, never
    mind comprehend, I was able to run up 1000 miles weekly despite an
    AM job before school and on weekends, high school, and sports team
    practices/games after school. (Mine was the color of the fenders in the
    picture above.)

Hey! This sounds like a new thread! :rockon:
    I'm gonna start one ASAP.

18. txl146

txl146 Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    How does solarshield dash protector work and where can I purchase it?

Thanks!

19. Cyberous

Cyberous Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two