1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

One week with BT Tech Plate

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by tyrael, Jul 27, 2006.

1. tyrael

tyrael Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The story: I find out that Brian from BT Tech is just a couple miles away from me so I get in contact with him and ask if he can install it for me. I don't have any tools what so ever here with me in Florida and just thought that it would be a great chance to meet another Prius owner. I scheduled a time to come in and he was ready right when I got there. He installed in about 5 minutes or so and showed me the bending of the original and the difference that the new one provided in strength. I also did show me the ones that he manufactures for Corvettes. (really impressive) To think that he went through his own R&D to manufacture these and then even produce them in quantities for the rest of us is just awesome!!! He's a great guy and thanks again Brian for everything.

The BT Tech Plate: On the way to Brian's shop, I went through some corners pretty harsh, did some aggressive lane changing, and just pretty much put the car to the test. Immediately upon leaving his store, I accelerated around corners like I never did before. I felt like I could just push it a little more, so I did. Day and Night!!! I come from a good driving background and have amateur experience in racing and I have to say that this plate along was just an awesome upgrade! For the price, it is nothing. Toyota should definitely buy into this because it proves to be one of the best things that I have done. I of course would like to go further with the TRD suspension and tower braces, but for this piece being so capable, it is a must for all other owners.

I'm not getting paid to solicit for him or anything, but Brian will definitely work with you. Try it before you deny it. It's awesome!!!

2. Presto

Presto Has his homepage set to PC

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I second the must-have recommendation for the BT-plate. If you are not into better handling then move along.

Tyrael, it sounds like you have been bit by the handling bug. The Sportivo shocks and springs will send you into a spiral of desire to purchase any suspension piece that's available for your Prius. I am hooked on driving my Prius excessively now. It handles as good as my Nissan Spec-V ever did, and the ride quality is far more comfortable!

3. NuShrike

NuShrike Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tyrael @ Jul 27 2006, 06:52 PM) [snapback]293571[/snapback]</div>
    If Brian is close to you, would it be fair to ask that you both do a double-blind test with the BT plate or the OEM plate on to test? Instead of pushing the car afterwards and coming to a conclusion without a controlled comparision.

I'm not disputing that the BT plate did something, just the way people measure it.

4. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm not into sporty handling in the slightest, but the BT plate made
    all the difference to what my butt was telling me, too. No more of
    that tail-wagging-the-dog feeling when going over bumps. Sort of
    amazing the plate can do that when it's got such a short lever arm
    on the rest of the car's hump... it must take a heck of a torsional
    strain sometimes. It would be interesting to instrument it...
    _H*

5. tyrael

tyrael Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(NuShrike @ Jul 27 2006, 10:09 PM) [snapback]293581[/snapback]</div>
    I have to say that I did push the car to where I felt like I couldn't push it any further without it slipping on me. On my way to Brian's shop, I pushed the car around a turn so good that the car behind me pulled up next to me and was shocked!!! I gave it a pretty good push as I usually do prior to installing any type of suspension upgrades. The same test was done afterwards and I was able to tell right off the bat that I could do more than before in terms of rounding a corner.

How would you like us to conduct the test? I mean, I guess the measurement would have to be done a skid pad or something? But more or less, you should try to find someone with it in your area. I will be back in SoCal in a couple of months and wouldn't mind if you wanted to take it for a test drive. :)

6. BT Tech

BT Tech New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    It was great to meet you last week and thank you for posting your impressions of our stiffening plate!!

Good luck with your piloting those jumbo 747 Jets and please stay in touch!!

BTW I love your choice of color for your 06 Prius :)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tyrael @ Jul 27 2006, 09:52 PM) [snapback]293571[/snapback]</div>

7. NuShrike

NuShrike Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tyrael @ Jul 27 2006, 07:29 PM) [snapback]293595[/snapback]</div>
    Ya, you did sorta give it a fair shake beforehand. Sounds like how I did the cornering/skid tests with my Integrities before I swapped them out.
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tyrael @ Jul 27 2006, 07:29 PM) [snapback]293595[/snapback]</div>
    Maybe some sort of flat area and cones setup specifically to test cornering handling, and a few blind runs with each plate and average times? Does this fairly test what the plate is supposed to fix?
    Sure! I would love to try it out like that too. Hopefully, I'll have my TRD sportivos on by then too.

Meantime, I'm looking into instrumentation. The GTech Pro doesn't cut it because it won't measure cornering Gs.
    [edit] Looks like it can. The old ones couldn't.

8. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    well i for one, still have my OEM plate. with a floor jack, installation is about the same time as removing a tire, and much easier (plate is lighter and bolts arent as tight) which is about 5 minutes.

when i installed my bt plate, i just ran the front tires up this curb at my old apartment, conveinient because its sloped about 45º.

i think i might be tempted to try a side by side just to verify what im pretty sure i know. mind you, i never had freeway wandering issues, or anything like that so i was generally satisfied with straight line performance and simply didnt take curves fast enough to worrry about anything else but we have a few nice freeway on ramps banked slightly and sharp. i regularly zoom thru them at 45 mph (sign says 25 mph) so im going to see how much i can push it with and without the plate.

will report back. will be doing this on my next group of days off, assuming no rain and reasonable weather. probably next tuesday