1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

ongoing issues

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by misterdean, Jan 7, 2023.

1. misterdean

misterdean Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    posted here several months ago about the triangle and several service lights coming on while driving. after i turned the car off it would not start again. after i disconnected the battery it started and the lights never came back on. a few weeks ago i drained my 12v while using an air compressor to put air in my tires. you guys said i don't drive it enough to keep the battery charged so i bought a charger. i just got done charging the battery and it seemed to be running fine. while putting the battery back in i noticed more than a little bit of water pooling up in the battery compartment. i read something a few months ago about water getting in and one guy said he suspected this was the reason his service lights came on. i noticed water dripping on the inside rear window. i'm guessing the seal around the glass is the where the water is getting in. what do i use to fix this? while i was driving i noticed my dash went out. no speedo gas gauge or anything. when i got home and turned the car off the radio and center console stayed on. i turned the car on and off a few times but it would not turn off. had to disconnect the battery and then it was working normally. sounds like i have an electrical problem. not sure what to do with it. any suggestions?

2. highmilesgarage

highmilesgarage Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    the capacitor died on the instrument cluster, it's a very common issue and that's the symptom. It's easy to DIY if you know how to solder. Lots of videos on youtube and on this channel that shows how.

ColoradoCrow likes this.
  3. misterdean

misterdean Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    it came back on after i disconnected the battery. that also doesn't explain why the radio and center console would not turn off.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    rodents

5. misterdean

misterdean Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    no evidence

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    good to hear. connector corrosion?

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    get a free load test on the battery at auto zone, and check the 3 connections for cleanliness and tightness

8. misterdean

misterdean Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    not sure if there is a difference between rusted and corroded so i attached pics. there is rust at the bottom of the battery compartment.

Attached Files:

9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    ya, that's corrosion. definitely worth a good vinegar brushing and cover in petrolium jelly when done.

check the negative to body connection as well

ColoradoCrow likes this.
  10. misterdean

misterdean Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    curious about the jelly. i know you know more than i do but makes me nervous.

11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i don't know much, believe me. try googling car battery connection protection or similar

12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
  13. misterdean

misterdean Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    well i didn't know this thing doesn't have an alternator until a few weeks ago so you know more than me.

i did google, i see all kinds of stuff from baking soda to coke. i see they make battery terminal cleaner. i'm sure they all work but the product designed for this sounds better to me.

bisco likes this.
  14. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
  15. misterdean

misterdean Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    is this just basic troubleshooting or do you really think this can potentially be whats causing these problems?

what do i do about the water getting in? that sounds like it can be disastrous. i hear silicone around the window, but want to get some feedback before i do anything.

#15 misterdean, Jan 7, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2023
  16. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    The water leak is very likely to be cracks in the body filler around the top corners of the tailgate opening. It usually runs from below the tailgate lift piston mount up to the drain channels under the rubber strips on the roof.

It often causes corrosion of the HV battery fan connection in the harness on the right side.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

Prius Rising likes this.
  17. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i think it's potentially the problem, but idk if it is. i don't think the water is causing the problem, but there are threads here on where to find the links and how to stop them.
    under the rain gutter trim is common, as are the hatch hinges and gasket. even the tail light can be susceptible

18. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It does actually when you understand the significance of the interaction of the combination meter. The repair is easy enough if you can do board-level repairs. If you can't do that you can take the combination meter to a local electronic repair service with the information that is linked at the top of the "Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting" forum. Look for the thread "Combination Meter repair - DIY".

19. ColoradoCrow

ColoradoCrow Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    I
    You can buy Terminal grease at any auto parts store for $2. Prevents corrosion looks like petroleum jelly. Works well.

20. ColoradoCrow

ColoradoCrow Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Or you can send it off to texashybridbatteries and have them repair it for you. Had him do both my Prii. Well worth it.