1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Online gift assistant

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by marjflowers, Nov 27, 2006.

1. marjflowers

marjflowers New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    it seems like I have seen at one time or another a "gift assistant" on the Internet. You know -- where you enter characteristics and it comes back with suggestions for gifts. Doe anyone know if such a thing actually exists and where it can be located?

Peace --

2. livelychick

livelychick Missin' My Prius

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    www.gifts.com

It's got a personality profile on it. Hope that's what you're looking for. I've never used it, but saw it on TV last week.

3. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I have a better idea: Gift donations. Most of the people on your gift list probably don't need anything, and an internet site probably won't be much help buying gifts for kids.

So, for all the adults on your list, you pick out the charitable organization you like most, add up all the money you would have spent on all those people, and send the money and the list of names and addresses to the organization of your choice, with a note explaining that this is a gift donation and asking them to send a card to each of the people.

All charitable organizations will do this (they may have a small minimum per person). Your friend gets a card saying a gift donation was made in their name.

Never the wrong size. Never useless. And only jerks get upset at receiving such a gift. And the best part is, next xmas, instead of getting another useless piece of garbage as a gift from those people, they are likely to do the same for you. You can even inform them in advance of your intention, and ask them to do the same beginning this year.

Older kids who have been raised right might appreciate such a gift as well, You probably know whether the kids on your list will or not.

4. Schmika

Schmika New Member

Another great gift is YOUR TIME. I find most gifts, except from my wife and kids, to be just another "thing". In fact, I would take an hour visit or talk on the phone with any of my kids, siblings, or close friends over ANYTHING I can conceive of them giving me.

5. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Schmika @ Dec 1 2006, 06:58 PM) [snapback]356531[/snapback]</div>
    This is an excellent suggestion as well. A gift of housework, cooking a meal, washing someone's car, whatever... no limit other than one's imagination. Use your computer to make a pretty card that says something like: "GIFT CARD. One free hand car wash." For a couple with young kids, it could be a free night of baby sitting so they can get out for some R&R away from the kids. ...