1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Online Tire Recommendations

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by moshe_levy, May 16, 2010.

1. moshe_levy

moshe_levy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi All-

My 2008 Touring Package 6 just rolled over 50,000 miles and the stock Birdgestone Turanzas are toast. I noticed (not surprisingly) that they finished near the bottom of Consumer Report's latest ratings (Nov 2009 issue). I was looking for recommendations as to a good online source for buying some replacements. Likely I will go with Hankook Optimo H727, rated second in CR at a substantial savings to the first place Michelins. Haven't bought tires online yet so I was just wondering where to start. Thanks.

-MKL

2. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi Moshe,

I think the Hankook Optimo H727 would be my choice for a true 4-season tire too.

If you read the Consumer Reports' tests carefully, the Hankook Optimo H727 is really Consumer Reports' HIGHEST rated tire for real 4-season use.

It rates higher on snow and ice than the well-regarded (but much more expensive) Nokian WRg2. In fact, it astoundingly rates as well or higher on snow and ice than most of the winter tires tested by Consumer Reports.

Since the Consumer Reports tire tests came out in November 2009, several/many PriusChatters have gotten the Hankook Optimo H727, and have reported positively on them. (Do a search to read their reviews.)

Note, however, that the Hankook Optimo H727 does not come in the Touring OEM size of 195/55R16 (very few non-runflat tires come in that size).

But it does come in the 205/55R16 size, which is the size I would get if I needed replacement tires for a Touring Prius.

You might lose 1-2 mpg because of the wider than OEM treadwidth, but I think that's a small price to pay for improved handling and braking that a wider treadwidth promises.

AFAIK, the least expensive place to get the Hankook Optimo H727 is Gripston.com. The last time I checked, Gripston.com sold them for about $400 for four (with free shipping and no tax) in the 205/55R16 size. You should be able to find a local tire installer to install and balance the tires for you for $15-$25 per tire.

Note that when I ordered tires from TireRack.com, its site listed approved installers in my area and their installation prices. I chose among the $15 per tire installers, and had TireRack.com drop-ship the tires directly to the tire installer. I don't know if Gripston.com provides a similar service, but you can check.

Good luck.

EDIT: Here's a link to Gripston.com showing the Hankook Optimo H727 in the 205/55R16 size for $101.69 per tire (free shipping and no tax), plus there's a $30 rebate if you buy four:

http://www.gripston.com/search?q=205/55/16#1006123

3. HNDRICKS10

HNDRICKS10 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius

I have had great luck with the Goodyear comfort tread's,

over 150,000 miles on on three Prius's 2002, 2005 and 2009, tom

4. moshe_levy

moshe_levy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Boo-

Thanks - that's exactly what I was looking for!

-MKL

5. alekska

alekska Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Here is something that you might consider:

Falken ZE-912, 205/55/16 for $77 at vulcantire.com

Best,
    - Alex