1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Online tracking?

Discussion in 'Order Tracking' started by sib1013, Dec 23, 2005.

1. sib1013

sib1013 New Member

Perhaps this is a silly question or one that's been asked before, but I did search using a number of keywords...

Is it possible to track the progress of a Prius in construction, shipping, import clearance, etc., given an order number (or VIN, once built)? If so, can this be done online, or must I call the dealer?

Thanks!

2. paprius4030

paprius4030 My first Prius

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I don't think so. I think even the dealer can only track it's progress once it leaves the factory for shipping.

3. Jeffcss

Jeffcss New Member

My salesperson explained it this way and he called it an "Allocation System", not an "Ordering System".

(BTW, I live in Southern CA)

On the 15th and the 30th of each month the dealership transmits their waiting list to Toyota. About a week or so later Toyota responds with what they are going to get including VIN numbers. About a week after that the cars show up at the port and some items such as floor mats and that plastic rear bumper cover (if ordered) is installed by a Toyota employee who works in a facility very near the port. After that the car is loaded onto a car carrier and it gets delivered to the dealer.

I waited for 2 months to get my car and I called 4 other dealers who all either gave me the same story as above or they would say, "call me before the 15th this month if you want me to get you one." But, they could never guarantee me one until after the 15th.

So it seems that even the dealer does not know which car they are getting until it is already built which is why you can't track it.

My dealership wanted $1000 (refundable) deposit and when they got the VIN number they had me come to the dealership and basically buy the car before it was actually in their lot! However, I paid MSRP LESS $100 dollars and my local dealer wanted MSRP + $3000! They also matched the Extended Warrany Price I found on the Internet (some dealer in Florida) which I later found about the same price here on PriusChat.com so I wasn't complaining.

Jeff

Jeff

4. Jack 06

Jack 06 New Member

Winters, CA: Prius capital of US. 30 miles W of S
    Advise you double-check the extended warranty. Is it the Toyota Platinum (zero or $50 deductible)? SE Region sells other, aftermarket warranties, which may or may not be honored in all other parts of the country. So, even if the price was good...

5. Jeffcss

Jeffcss New Member

Thanks for asking because I know it is easy to get sucked into the warranty game!

But I did my homework and it is the Toyota extended warranty. Once I told him I found it online at a real Toyota dealership he gave me the price and didn't argue. Then I read the Platinum brochure and the Gold Brochure and decided I wanted the Gold instead and he reduced the price some more.

I bought the car using their Internet sales dept and really didn't get any pressure from anyone. This particular dealership seems pretty easy going compared to others I have fought in the past.

Jeff

6. sib1013

sib1013 New Member

That's too bad. When I ordered my MINI (three years ago, at a time with long waits), I was able to track order, construction, transportation, and importation progress online, once the actual order went in from the dealer to the factory (which was something like 8 weeks before I received the car.)

:(

7. windstrings

windstrings Certified Prius Breeder

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Yep.. I'm ready now... If I could find my car anywhere I could access.. I would buy!....

Let me know if anyone finds a package 8 barcelona!

8. xraynano

xraynano New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    My dealer just gave me a VIN for a Barcelona #8 that I ordered in November. He said
    to expect it in 10-20 days. Our agreement is MSRP with $500 deposit. :)