1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Online Vendor for Nokian WRG3?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by MJ2005, Nov 2, 2015.

1. MJ2005

MJ2005 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    I'm looking to buy new Nokians to replace the Yokohama's that came with my 2013 Prius. At 28,000 miles, they're at 6/32 tread and I'd feel more comfortable with better winter tires since I live in Boston.

I had the Nokian WRG2's on my Gen 2 Prius and they were great. They ran between $500 - $550 installed.

Local vendor wants $800 installed (that's crazy). I've searched online and can get them for $370 from simpletire.com but there are some shaky reviews for them.

Is anyone buying these tires online and have a recommendation for a trustworthy vendor? Or experience with simpletire.com? Tirerack no longer carries the Nokians.

#1 MJ2005, Nov 2, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2015
  2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    This is what I see on Kal Tire site:

Capture.JPG

Those are Canadian prices, in greater Vancouver, BC area. Per tire there's an extra $26.48, for valve and balance.

The Nordman WR are rebadged WRG2, I think. The tread pattern at least is a dead ringer. The WRG3 are a new tread pattern. My daughter was looking for tires for her Pilot, ended up going with the Nordman. The WRG3 had a placard on them in the store, saying they were better for mpg.

I used WRG2 as a snow tire, had them on separate steel rims. They were passable, but I couldn't wait to get them off in spring, mainly due to their impact on mpg.

Looks like they're only in Canada, I see locations in Ontario, but... Anyway, maybe helps a bit.

3. MJ2005

MJ2005 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    Thanks Mendel. Price went up by $20/tire since I first posted. :( My mechanic has been trying to track them down too but not successful. Maybe I'll just get the Defenders instead. Will they kill mpg by that much?

4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Defenders aren't that good for RR either, and definetly aren't a winter tire.

I'm not sure what to recommend. Personally I use Michelin Pilot 215/45R17 (OEM's) spring thru fall, and for winter Michelin X-Ice 195/65R15 o separate rims in winter. The latter actually roll pretty good.

That's just me, but I think it's too much of a stretch: one tire for four seasons.