1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Only $76 for new cabin/engine air filter....

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by cyberpriusII, Oct 2, 2020.

1. cyberpriusII

cyberpriusII Prodigyplace says I'm Super Kris

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Took my 2019 Subaru into the dealer as it has the dreaded -- very well known -- passenger window problem....which means you close the window, it goes up and then goes back down to half-closed.

Anyway, under warranty. Service advisor calls. Says -- wait for it -- Cabin filter and Engine Air filter are horrible and need to be replaced immediately at a low price of $76.

LOL :p:p:p:p

I checked them three days ago and they were a bit dirty, but no issue. Indeed, because of the Oregon wildfires, I ordered new filters from RockAuto last week for a total of around twelve dollars, delivered....

So. politely refused the filter service.
    kris

2. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    "Only $76? Could you change my filters two or three times? I'd like to stock up while that price lasts!"

3. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah, but Toyota OEM air filter Part Number: 1780121060 and cabin filter Part Number: 87139-58010 are $18.65 and $51.90 list price. How much were yours?

4. cyberpriusII

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Look above, around $12,.,,,,They are not Subaru filters, but Wix.

Salamander_King likes this.
  5. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That's price gouging! Buy Toyota then it would have been a fair price!:p

6. cyberpriusII

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Aye, me GEN II cabin filters are horrible priced from Toyota. I use TYC from Rock Auto for $3.xx

kenoarto and Salamander_King like this.
  7. cyberpriusII

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sorry, distracted in my last post. For the Prius, I use the TYC cabin filter for about $3.75 from Rock Auto and the Denso Engine Air filter (OEM FOR SURE) for about $8 from Rock Auto.

8. Kenny94945

Kenny94945 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four
    Wow those prices from Rock Auto are attractive.

I've found OEM cabin charcoal filter for most brands run about $50.
    Aftermarket charcoal like Fram or NAPA run $20 and non charcoal cabin can be $10 or so from local Walmart, O'Reillys etc.

Air filters IMO from OEM are designed not to flow air as well as aftermarket, BUT OEM have superior dust filtration and always fit perfectly.

Good cost saving info posted by the OP.​

9. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    There is cut to fit charcoal filters of various sizes that might fit on the cabin filter. Depending on how it fits, it can act as a prefilter to a HEPA one.

I ended up just washing the factory engine air filter with as the filter I had ended up not being the correct one. Some ammonia and a little detergent did a good job.

10. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Toyota's are suggested list around $35, more like $24 discounted at dealers:

Gen 1 / Gen 2 fit

Gen 3 to current fit

I'm not positive what "current" means; the part numbers come from here but here doesn't have a date (well, there's a 2018/02 in the URL).

I like the way one of their selling points for "Toyota Genuine vs. Aftermarket" is "sized to fit each model vs. aftermarket's general fitment", and then they list all of four different part numbers covering twenty years of twenty-five different models.

11. Higgins909

Higgins909 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I know some motorcycle filters a expensive like that and there is no real alternative and they say to replace them every 10,000~ miles. I've been buying EPAuto filters off Amazon. For my Gen 3. I bought a 3 pack of cabin filters that comes out to $6.29 per filter and the engine air filter $9.47. I probably didn't need to change the engine filter but I did because it had been a while. I wonder how my cabin filter gets so dirty considering I'm on recirculate 99% of the time and the screen at the bottom of the window wouldn't let leafs in, but I find leafs in my filter.