1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

"Only a fool would buy a Prius!"

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by dzitlow, Jun 26, 2005.

1. dzitlow

dzitlow New Member

When my son--Summa Cum Laude graduate of the University of Wisconsin in computer science--was told that I had bought a new Prius a week and one-half ago, he comment was that "only a fool would buy a Prius!" He likes his Toyota 4Runner V8 4WD but is complaining that he cannot visit home as often as before since he cannot afford spending $60 on gasoline for the round trip.
    Any suggestions on what I might tell my son? :?:

2. GreenLady

GreenLady Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Tell him that only a fool would own a car that uses $60 in gas for a x mile round trip journey.

He's also young, and newly graduated (with highest honors). Right now, he feels that the world is his oyster. After a while moaning about high gas prices and having to support himself, he'll probably realize that having a car that uses little gas is a good idea. (Though, he may not admit it.)

Also, he may not have ever seen the inside of a Prius. Being a CS major, he'll probably appreciate the MFD and other geeky accessories. (I think they're pretty cool)

By the way, I'm 25 and got my masters last year, so I understand the feeling of euphoria that comes from finally finishing school. Then you realize that you have to get a job. :/

3. Charles Suitt

Charles Suitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    :? Recent "Graduates" are a special case not having experienced the "real world" yet. The arrogance will moderate in time, so patience on your part is the prescription. Just keep your mileage and service records for later reference and possible comparison to his "gas guzzler."

Here's an illustration and good advice for your graduate: "When you 'point' at someone else, note that three fingers are pointing BACK AT YOU." A great way to say "Look first at yourself before criticizing another."

4. victor

victor New Member

Gilching Bavaria Germany, & Drapanos, Crete, G
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dzitlow\";p=\"101751)</div>
    As "like Father like son". In other words, if you are an idiot, then he must be as well!

Each month point out how much you gas bill was.

5. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Member

Don't say anything to him yet. Surprise him later at the reading of your will ;-)

Leave him nothing but your (hopefully) 40 year old Prius.

6. Kablooie

Kablooie Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    We're all Bozos on this bus.

7. prius04

prius04 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Kablooie\";p=\"101760)</div>
    Wow, that's one of my favorite quotes!

Usually it's in the context of "In the words of a great man, "We are all bozos on this bus".

8. bookrats

bookrats New Member

God love us Firesign Theater fans. (The F.T. guys are geniuses.)

"A power so great, it can only be used for good or evil!"

"Beware - your brain may no longer be the boss!"

9. bookrats

bookrats New Member

Recommendation from a 20-year vetern C.S. graduate: blanket statements and generalities are rarely correct, and will come back to bite you.

(Well, except the one I just made. :lol: )

10. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    its hard for me to believe a CS grad would think that of the Prius.

forget the gas money issues. with his degree, getting a job would be easy for all but the lamest of candidates.

i have to believe his statement was born of ignorance and not research. if this isn't the case, i would be very interested in hearing how he came about his opinion or is he too busy trying to get his foot out of his mouth?

11. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    A bit hard to know how to respond to him without a little insight to his reasoning.

I suspect the statement was made out of ignorance and misinformation.

12. chrism07924

chrism07924 New Member

I'd tell him only a fool would graduate with a Computer Science degree if they're American! ;)

B.S., M.S. Computer Science, 16 years IT experience. My prius is the only positive thing involved with my daily grind.

13. KS

KS New Member

Well I said to my daughter (with a roll of my eyes as well) that youth is wasted on the young. Oh to be right all the time !

14. Bob Allen

Bob Allen Captainbaba

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Offer to come and visit him and have him PAY YOU for your gas. Then, he can take you out to dinner at a nice restaurant with the money he saved.

15. prius04

prius04 New Member

One major misconception about the Prius, or all hybrids, is that it runs the engine to make electricity. This is a waste because it takes a full gallon of gas to get 1/2 gallon of energy stored, or so I've read. Thus, on the face of it, the hybrid makes no sense. As john1701a.com and others have pointed out, this is not actually how our car makes electricity. Out car actually uses wasted ICE output to charge the batteries (most of the time). In other words, our ICE uses more of the energy that the non hybrid just wastes. It also uses the wasted energy of stopping to charge those batteries. This allows us to have a smaller ICE than we would otherwise need for a car the size of the Prius.

So many uninformed engineers, and quite possible many uninformed teachers don't realize this. These people are not idiots, they are just uninformed.

Another myth that these engineers and teachers are still probably still relying on is that the batteries are very expensive and will need to be replaced in 2 or 3 years.

They don't realize the guarantee that we have, and they design that Toyota has that minimizes obsolescence. Our battery will probably outlast the car. And even if it doesn't, it's going to be a good deal cheaper than it costs now.

So if you were a scientist type person, and going on 5 or 10 year old knowledge, the Prius would seem to make no sense.

16. Herb

Herb New Member

So says Ralph Spoilsport in the city of Emphysema. (I get my best mileage on the Antelope Freeway while listening to a radio station in Tierra del Fuego.)

Herb

17. Herb

Herb New Member

Just be proud of his accomplishments and let him drive the car, challenging him to best your mileage.

This 'fool' only paid $25K for a car with all leather interior, awesome sound system, is the most comfortable ride I have ever owned, power everything, passes anything on a steep incline, has airgabgs for both front and rear seat passengers, and saves me over $100/month in what I was spending on fuel.

Herb

18. mehrenst

mehrenst Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    No suggestiions, but this is the very reason that business generally doesn't let C.S. fresh-outs do any serious work on computer systems or programming.

19. yoda

yoda Member

Heya all,

Wow - this is an easy one.

Let's see.... Before my Prius, the average money I spent on a new car was about $32,000.

My fully loaded Prius was about $26k and has awesome technology NOT found in my previous more expensive cars.

Your son bought a car that won't get him where he wants to go for what he considers a reasonable price.

Only a fool would buy a Prius? Hmmm.... Me thinks it is the FOOL who spoke those words.

Yoda

20. Ray Moore

Ray Moore Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Guess I'm a fool driving to work at 64 MPG.