1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Only AWD for sale in Pacific Northwest region?

Discussion in 'Gen 5 Prius Main Forum' started by Rick Demers, Mar 6, 2023.

1. Rick Demers

Rick Demers Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    A salesman from Burien Toyota in Washington state told me today only AWD Prius’ are available for sale in Washington and Oregon. Can anyone confirm this for me please? I really didn’t want to spend the extra money on AWD. Was just gonna get the limited fwd. Thanks.

2. Kalianyia

Kalianyia Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Not true. They have them in the Rocky Mountain region (not sure of Toyota's official name for the region) as well. Probably 50% or something like that are AWD.

Toyota Inventory | New Toyota Inventory Search
    Zip code is Denver. But you can expand the radius to see that other cities in the Rocky Mountain range have them. I saw some in New Mexico, Utah, Colorado. I didn't check, but probably Wyoming, Montana. Maybe Idaho.

I also thought I read somewhere that they have AWD in some of the Appalachian states. I imagine anywhere where there are a decent amount of mountains with inclement weather. The more mountainous, rural, and bad winter conditions - the more likely AWD will be sold there.

As an opposite example. Again, I didn't check, but I'm guessing Florida doesn't get AWD :) :) :)

3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    North of the 49th (Canada) it’s nothing but AWD, officially. Maybe some connection, for northern States?

4. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    That is likely just a temporary situation with the model just starting to ship to dealers. Even if it proves to hold true for longer, you can always buy out of state. Plenty of Southerners went North for a Prime, because of their local supply and prices.

5. rth121

rth121 New Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    AWD Prius is available throughout the US, just that majority of the AWD models usually goes to states where it snows or rain a lot. Every now and then, you'll see a few AWD at some other states that doesn't rain or snow like California, just not as many though - so the wait might be longer.

6. Li W

Li W New Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    Most of the AWD end up in WA because CA gets the fwd. Just another annoying thing about dealerships.

7. Squirrely Dan

Squirrely Dan New Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    Using the inventory search on the Toyota web page confirms only AWD Prius' within a 250 mile range of Seattle. The closest non AWD is an XLE is Boise. Chances are it's already sold or still in transit though.

8. flarecde

flarecde Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    I'm in the NE and only see AWD models around. I wasn't too keen at first on the extra cost, space, and weight of the second motor but I guess it'll be useful in the snow if I'm dumb enough to drive in it.

Kalianyia likes this.
  9. Vneck

Vneck New Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I saw a fwd in Toyota of Seattle in built phase. If awd is the only option, WA will not have prime for sale lately, and hopefully it is not the case cause I am waiting for the prime.

10. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    The car has only been shipping for about a month. The first new cars made are nearly always fully optioned ones. That gives the factory employees experience in assembling everything, and they generally have higher margins.

While that sucks for those that can't wait on a new car, I suspect most people can.

11. TE37SL

TE37SL New Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    I can confirm that NO AWD models allocated to the gulf states sadly