1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Only half my heat vents blow hot air!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by freunb02, Oct 20, 2020.

Tags:
  1. freunb02

freunb02 New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    new problems i cant figure out. when i have the heat on only the passenger side vents blow out hot air. dirver side blows out cold air. it does the same if i have it on defrost or floor. its always passenger side hot air work but driver side blows cold air.

2. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Which drivers side vent? The one to the left of the steering wheel has a vent function that brings in outside air and the one on right does not. Does that explain your situation?

In general the best way to heat your car and prevent windshield from fogging up in Winter is the the setting on the far right that does windshield and floor combined. As long as that setting works, I wouldn't be too concerned about vents that blow on your face, which is best for A/C use in Summer.

3. freunb02

freunb02 New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    It is the vent on the left of the stearing wheel. But also when I have the defrost on the driver side of the defrost vent blows out cold air.

4. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That's very strange... Are you sure you're noticing this 15 minutes after driving after the engine has the cabin heat system running at its best?

5. freunb02

freunb02 New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    I drive 30 minutes to work and it is like that the entire trip. Heat is warm on defrost on passenger side but driver side it feels like outaide air temp.Wondering if it is pulling in outside air from the driver side vent? How do I replace it fix that driver side vent that brings in outside air? I replaced the cabin air filter but that has been it for now

6. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Keep the left side vent that takes in outside air closed and see if that helps. Also first thing I always recommend for troubleshooting these systems is make sure you've replaced the cabin air filter. The increased air flow from a new filter tends to solve many problems.

7. freunb02

freunb02 New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    cabin air filter has been replaced. is their a reason why that air vent is taking in outside air? is something broken that need to be replaced. Im thinking that might have something to do with half of my defrost setting on the driver side blowing cold air. makes it difficult to keep the front window cleared up.

8. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'm not sure of the exact specs... Maybe @Elektroingenieur could help us better understand?