1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Only in a Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by kfarad, May 4, 2006.

1. kfarad

kfarad Junior Member

Driving with my girlfriend on HWY 101 towards SF in my new 06 Prius... suddenly we hit a slow patch... goin 10 mph

ME: Whoa! look! in the last 5 minutes we've been getting like... 100 MPG!!

SHE: Um... yeah... ur also not really goin anywhere.....

I love it... suddenly traffic jams make me happy! B)

2. jmpenn

jmpenn New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(beeri @ May 4 2006, 02:36 AM) [snapback]249565[/snapback]</div>
    Did you let her know in a regular car you would be getting about 2 MPG and still going no where? :p

3. Rancid13

Rancid13 Cool Chick with a Black Prius

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(beeri @ May 3 2006, 11:36 PM) [snapback]249565[/snapback]</div>
    Same here! Yesterday on my way home from work there were several accidents in the 5-6 mile stretch of freeway. Traffic slowed to a 10-15mph crawl. I cruised on electric most of the way managed to get 2 100-mpg bars and 1 75+mpg bar during that time. Sure it took me about 15-20 extra minutes to get home than normal, but I was thrilled!! :D

4. bgdrewsif

bgdrewsif New Member

Phoenix, Arizona (formerly Bowling Green, Ohio)
    Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I had a similar experience this weekend coming back to Ohio from Maryland when we hit a construction zone east of Wheeling, West Virginia. We sat for quite a while... fortunately I had my digital camera, heres a pic of what happened as we sat in construction:

[attachmentid=3223]

And what my mileage was:

[attachmentid=3224]

Just more proof that the prius does what it was designed to do and that all the naysayer are dead wrong about our priuses not saving money, etc...

BTW, I keep my didgital camera with me everywhere i go and keep taking mileage bar pictures as proof... :)

5. Rancid13

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bgdrewsif @ May 4 2006, 09:49 AM) [snapback]249742[/snapback]</div>
    I would love to do the same, as my cameraphone doesn't take very clear pictures at all. But unfortunately my husband also uses my digital camera on a near-daily basis (Ebay listings) and anytime I need to use it, this requires a search for the camera itself, then for the memory card, then a verification that the battery is not near-dead. :rolleyes:

6. Trevor

Trevor Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bgdrewsif @ May 4 2006, 12:49 PM) [snapback]249742[/snapback]</div>
    I'm glad I'm not the only one who does that.h

7. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Best partial tank I have ever had was in a Traffic jam from Seattle to home. Really ugly, for them! I got 68 mpg on that stretch. It is amazing how you can mellow out in a traffic jam!

8. kfarad

kfarad Junior Member

Now the question is:

You're in a traffic jam, you're not in a hurry, u have HOV stickers and the HOV lane is wide open

Do you speed past the SUVs stuck in traffic? or do you coast along at 15 mph and get 125 mpg?

9. Bill Lumbergh

Bill Lumbergh USAF Aircraft Maintainer

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I cruised down to the Portage Glacier today (couldn't see it, was fogged in) and had a massive headwind going down, and a fantastic tailwind coming back. I was able to push my average over 50 MPG for the the tank and got a couple decent shots.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Priuseely

Priuseely Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Wow this is a terrific picture! It looks like a Toyota promo shot--nice job!!!

[​IMG]
    [/quote]

11. bgdrewsif

bgdrewsif New Member

Phoenix, Arizona (formerly Bowling Green, Ohio)
    Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Boxter, what on earth is all over your dashboard??? Carpet???

12. kfarad

kfarad Junior Member

Do you have a bigger version of that pic? I wanna make it my desktop background!

and yeah... is that a fur coat for your Prius so it won't freeze in Alaska?

13. Rancid13

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(beeri @ May 4 2006, 10:51 PM) [snapback]250103[/snapback]</div>
    I usually don't use the HOV lane when I'm in traffic unless I need to be somewhere at a specific time or am in a hurry. Most of the time I'm just using the freeway to get home from work, no rush there for me. So I stay out of the HOV lane, cruise along in one of the 2 rightmost lanes, and get higher mpgs. Sometimes I like to follow behind big rigs so the people behind me can't blame me for being the one going so slow.

I chuckle at the Priuses I see that fight thru 4-5 lanes of heavy traffic to get into the HOV lane, only to travel a couple miles and have to fight across lanes to get off at his/her exit. I usually only travel ~5-6 miles anyways so it's not worth it to me to make so many multiple lane changes (sometimes the 405 is as wide as 7 lanes not including HOV approaching the Seal Beach area from the south) to save 2 minutes off my drive.

14. finally_got_one

finally_got_one New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hdrygas @ May 4 2006, 07:38 PM) [snapback]250033[/snapback]</div>
    All one needs is the proper music, and mellowness is not a problem... :D