1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

OnStar FMV mirror

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by ladycdw, Dec 29, 2011.

1. ladycdw

ladycdw Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Has anyone installed an Onstar FMV mirror to their 2010 Prius? If so, did it cause any problems with your car? I have one and wonder if I should get it installed or not. :confused:

2. ladycdw

ladycdw Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II

There is a list of things on a disclaimer that comes with the mirror that it can cause to quit working in your car. I was curious if anyone had experienced any of these things.

3. car compulsive

car compulsive Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I looked at the mirror on my Two and saw that the only functionality on the mirror is a manual day/night lever. My understanding is that the OnStar FMV has day/night capability built in and all functionality is self-contained in the mirror. (There doesn't appear to be a brain-box that needs to be placed elsewhere in the car.) I don't think you should have any issue with the OnStar list of possible areas of interference.

I think the loss-of functionality issues arise when replacing a mirror when the carmaker has installed additional features / sensors on the factory mirror because it's a convenient place for them. Examples would include:

- Backup camera display
    - Detector for oncoming headlights for auto-dim feature
    - Bluetooth microphone
    - Front cabin lighting
    - Compass display
    - Cabin temperature sensor
    - Windshield rain sensor for automatic wipers.

I don't know if higher trim levels of the Prius have additional functionality built into the mirror or not.

4. SocialLisa

SocialLisa New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi ladycdw - I do digital work for OnStar and wanted to see if I could help answer your question!

The 2010 Prius should have no issues having the FMV mirror installed. The only thing you have to be wary of (as car compulsive stated) is that you will lose features that are embedded in your current mirror, such as a temperature reading or compass. There's an FMV fit guide on OnStar's website with a whole list, here onstar.com/fitcriteria

If you're interested in seeing what other people think about the FMV, we have a bunch of reviews posted on our blog site, OnStar Connections. Here's one from owners of a Ford Mustang and a Subaru Forester onstarconnections.com/2011/09/buyers-review-their-onstar-fmv-mirrors/

Let me know if you have any questions and I will be happy to help answer them! :)