1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Ooookay, then how about no onboard diagnostics

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by ronlewis, Jan 22, 2024.

1. ronlewis

ronlewis Active Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    One
    One car isn't putting out cold air. Operates like it should - it will turn on and off in Auto when it turn the temperature up and down, as if its sensing cabin temps correctly. All the vents work as they're supposed to. The AC light isn't flashing. I see no bubbles or cloudiness in the sight glass. I get no codes using TorquePro.

When it try to use the on-board diagnostics for AC, nothing happens. The instructions seem clear: 1. Key OFF, AC off. 2. Key ON but not started. 3. Press AC button 3 times, then turn AC to AUTO. AC lights should flash 4x, then flash a code for the various DTCs.

Mine simply turns on the AC as soon as I switch it to AUTO after pressing the button 3x, just like it should if I was trying to turn on the AC. And the AC button works properly at that point, it turns the AC on and off.

The instructions I've read are not clear on one point - after turning the key ON, I'm just pressing the AC button 3x before turning it to AUTO. That's not the same as turning the AC on 3x - if it was already set to AUTO, I would have to press the button to turn it OFF, then again to turn it ON, so starting from off, once to ON, once OFF, a third time to ON, a fourth time OFF, then a fifth time to have "turned it on 3x."

I haven't tried that, it would seem odd since the AC is OFF, there's no light coming on and off while you press it all those times. But, nothing is happening the other way.

Overall, it seems odd - that I'm not getting codes. Is it just that TorquePro doesn't access the AC codes? The only thing I can see (without manifold gauges) is that it might be completely out of freon - thus no bubbles. But that should throw a code or flash the dash light, shouldn''t it?