1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

oops... advice please

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by busyrosy, May 21, 2006.

1. busyrosy

busyrosy New Member

I was grocery shopping today, and when I returned, someone had left a postcard sized flyer on the driver side window. The postcard was wedged in between the glass and the black seal, and I onlly noticed it after I got in the car and was about to leave the parking lot.

I did something stupid, which was that I thought I could open the driver side window maybe 3 inches down and pull the post card away with my hands (I have skinny arms). Just as I rolled the window down about half an inch, the post card just slid in and fell through the gap between the glass and the black seal.

So my question is... how do I remove a postcard that's now stuck inside the driver side door? Is this something that's easy to do at home? If it can't be done at home, how much do you think this will cost me? If this is something that's expensive to do, is there a consequence to having a post card permanantly stuck inside your driver side door?

ugggh! I don't understand why people leave flyers on your car in the first place. No one looks at them :p

2. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I wouldn't think there would be a problem from having the postcard in there. If you do want to get it out, do a search in the audio/electronics forum for instructions on removing the door panels (done when replacing/upgrading the speakers).

3. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I agree, the time and aggravation isn't worth going after the thing if it's not causing any problems.

4. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    It is sitting down there as happy as a clam in the sand. Very much better than a Coke bottle in the side panel, and that is what you may have had in a early 70's Ford!

5. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Are you all crazy?! Take that thing out as quickly as you can!!

Do you have any idea what that extra weight is doing to your mileage?! You have to compensate by removing something else. Do you actually NEED the manual in the car while you're driving it? Take it out!!

It would be bad enough if it was 20# OCR paper but thick cardboard. Say it ain't so.

oh yeah, I'm just kidding.

6. mike0422

mike0422 New Member

Have it removed and send the bill to the company who put it on your car, or the shopping center if they gave them permission.

7. Marlin

Marlin New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Has anyone else thought it is kind of shoddy that there is a gap between the glass and the weather seal at the bottom of the window, at least when the window is partially open. What's the point of the rubber seal at the bottom if it doesn't touch the glass? Wouldn't it be better if water didn't just run down into the door?

On other cars, I could clear water from the door windows by lowering and raising the windows. On the prius, that doesn't do anything because the glass doesn't touch the rubber when the window goes down.

8. ScottY

ScottY New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Marlin @ May 22 2006, 03:03 PM) [snapback]259313[/snapback]</div>
    I noticed that too. That's the only thing i miss from my old car, able to clear water from windows....

9. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Use Rain-X and the water clears itself . . . at least to the point where you don't feel the need to roll down the window for the squeegee effect. :)
    I like the fact that the window does not rub on the seal . . . my Rain-X lasts longer, and I can see out my windows. :p ;)

10. busyrosy

busyrosy New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TonyPSchaefer @ May 22 2006, 02:27 PM) [snapback]259295[/snapback]</div>
    Hahaha .. don't worry. I always go pee before I hop into my car ;). That should compensate for the milege.. oh yeah and the skimpy clothes...

11. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(busyrosy @ May 22 2006, 05:56 PM) [snapback]259468[/snapback]</div>
    Drrrrrrrrrr!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(busyrosy @ May 20 2006, 10:44 PM) [snapback]258757[/snapback]</div>
    Leave it. If you ever desire to make your Prius quieter, then remove the front door panels and install some sound-deadening stuff. While the doors are opened, take out the offending paper bit. Until then, nothing.

12. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Sufferin' Prius Envy @ May 22 2006, 04:23 PM) [snapback]259431[/snapback]</div>
    OOPS! I may have spoken too soon. <_<

I washed, waxed, and re-applied Rain-X today.
    On my 2005 the windows DO rub the seal all the way up and down. Was that a redesign for the 2006 not to rub?

13. Liam

Liam New Member

I once read a tip in the AAA magazine that said you should write the car's VIN on a postcard and drop it down the window so it will be inside the door. If your car is ever stolen and someone tries to remove the VIN, that one will still be there.