1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Oops... Headligh issue, car does not turn off.. Ect

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Kody, Dec 19, 2015.

1. Kody

Kody Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Pawing around the hood today at the headlight system, I was playing and exploring the relay under the hood for the headlight system. At one point, i seem to have touched the line for the Body ECU that pulls the relay to ground to turn on the lights.
    There were no sparks or any sign that anything happen to indicate any issue. At this time, the headlights will not power, the relay slot that pulls the relay to ground is no longer doing so. Not only do the headlights not turn on.. but once hitting the power button, the car seems to power off but the marker lights do not power off at the driver door, and when closing the door with the key removed, the car chimes as if still in Ready with the Key removed from the car. I have tried resetting the car by leaving the battery off for an hour. Connecting the battery, the issue still remains, but the window, trip meter and clock all reset. The Fuel gauge also reads the full reset I am worried that i may have done something to the body ECU. Does anyone have any suggestions of what i can try? did i screw the pooch? SOS!!!

PS: The marker lights do respond to the light switch, but has no effect on the issue. I can not lock the doors with the fob or handle.

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    1. I understand that disconnecting the 12V battery did not help
    2. Try manually activating the headlight relay by grounding the appropriate pin, to see if the lights will come on. This would confirm that the fuses feeding that circuit are OK.
    3. if you are not aware of any damage to the wiring, then you might try replacing the body ECU

You should be able to obtain a replacement ECU at a relatively low price at autobeyours.com

#2 Patrick Wong, Dec 20, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2015