1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Oops... How much will this damage cost me?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by TopThrill182, Sep 27, 2015.

1. TopThrill182

TopThrill182 New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Last night, while making a right turn, I cut the wheel too sharply too soon and hit / dragged the lower passenger side portion of my leased 2014 Prius III (the "side skirt?") against the curb. (Not that it matters, but I was trying to turn close to the curb so that I could parallel park immediately after turning.)

Per the below photos, there's now quite a bit of "curb rash" on my car. (The photos aren't the best, but I was having a tough time capturing the damage accurately.)

IMG_0001.jpg IMG_0003.jpg IMG_0005.jpg

I have a couple of questions for anyone familiar with auto leasing / body repair, as I'm totally ignorant on the subjects.

1. I'm assuming I'll be charged for this at the end of the lease, no? Does it matter that I have the Toyota Excess Wear & Use Protection Plan? (I'm led to believe the Plan covers up to $1,000 in excess wear per single event, up to $5,000 total. I'm not sure how Toyota would assess this damage in terms of cost and whether it happened all at once.)

2. If Toyota will charge me, would it be cheaper to have this handled by a body shop before the end of my lease? Does anyone have a rough idea of how much this repair would cost? I don't know which part is affected and whether it would need buffing, repainting, or possible replacement.

3. Is there any reason to have this dealt with immediately, or is it OK to wait until closer to the end of the lease? (It seems like the affected part is plastic, so I can't imagine any rust concerns associated with leaving this be for a while, but I want to be sure.)

I would appreciate any input anyone can provide! And sorry my car is so dirty... I've been trying to save money on car washes recently. ha

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    It doesn't look bad at all, it's not that noticeable. Wash it and try to use some black touchup paint and it'll even be less noticeable. That scratched part is not metal, it'll clean up nicely with a little touch up paint.

Try to sell it into CarMax instead of returning it to the dealer. They may overlook that little damage.

3. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    That is a rocker panel and on my car it is steel. What does the excess wear & use plan cover? Does it specifically include or exclude sheet metal damage?

4. sdtundra

sdtundra Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Where are you located? A good detailer might be able to mask most of it to make it nearly invisible

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    should buff right out...

6. KennyGS

KennyGS Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    You could see what a couple of paint shops say.

If the metal isn't really bent, and it's just scratched/scraped, I would fix it myself.

7. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Zero $ if you leave it alone! ;)

It will also depend how deep the damage is. On my wife's 4 month old Subie, it looked pretty bad.

[​IMG]

But with some rubbing and polishing compounds and a lot of elbow grease you can sometimes with some luck make things right again.

[​IMG]

sdtundra likes this.
  8. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Are you sure(question mark) Think it`s plastic.

Moderators:

Trying to type a question mark I get this:

É

9. Beachbummm

Beachbummm Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    ????????????????????????????????
    must be you, my ? mark is fine

10. Beachbummm

Beachbummm Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I think a reasonable price to sand, fill and color match would be in the $200 range but I would not do it until the month before I return the car, theres bound to be more damage by then, door dings, rock chips ect