1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Oops, left door open, drained 12V battery too much

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by Optimus, Apr 20, 2009.

1. Optimus

Optimus Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Oops, we (ok I) accidentally left a door open on the 2002 Prius and it wasn't discovered for a couple days. The dome light had been turned off, so the 12V wasn't completely dead, but the dash lights were dim and there wasn't enough juice to start the car.

So, what's the preferred method to charge the battery? In the car? Remove from car?

2. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I have a 2004 GenII so I can only speak from that perspective.

I drained my battery in the winter which I felt was even worse due to the cold weather so I went to my friendly Sears store and bought a trickle charger. I hooked it up - still in the car - and let it charge. That was a few years ago and I'm still on the same battery.

3. Optimus

Optimus Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I forgot I had a trickle charger. I should try that. Now, if I can only find it. I have a regular battery charger that will charge as low as 2A, but I don't want to risk ruining anything. I suppose my best bet is to remove the battery and charge outside the car.

4. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If you can set your regular battery charger to a 2A setting, then that should work well.

To be ultra safe you can remove the battery physically, but IMO it would be good enough to just disconnect the negative terminal connector first.

5. Optimus

Optimus Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Fixed. I removed the battery and ran it at 2 amps on the charger for 2 hours and it worked like a charm. Thanks!

6. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Glad that this helped. However, 2A x 2 hours = 4AH. Since the capacity of the battery when new is 28AH you haven't provided much charge into the battery. As your battery is 7 years old its capacity is probably more like 15 - 20 AH at best, however the point remains that your battery still needs more charging.

Hence I suggest that you leave the car READY at least for 3-4 hours or else take a drive of that length in the near future, to make sure the battery is charged up to its full capacity.

7. Optimus

Optimus Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The car has already had that much driven on it in the last couple of days, without issue. I don't know if the battery is original to the car or not, so I can't say for sure if it really is 7 years old or not. Either way, I'm likely going to replace it before winter just to be safe. I couldn't find any kind of date code on the battery.