1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Oops! The 2010 Prius Manual Contradicts Toyota's Emergency Instructions

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Danny, Mar 12, 2010.

1. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    By now you've probably seen or heard from Toyota what you should do in the case of an emergency in your Prius. Shift the car into Neutral, apply brakes, pull over. If that doesn't work, hold the Power button for 3 seconds to shut the car down. There's only one problem with these instructions - they are exactly the opposite of what Toyota has written in the 2010 Prius manual. As you can see in the image above from the 2010 Prius owners manual, the manual says on Page 155 under Chapter 2-1 Driving Procedures:
    • Do not under any circumstances shift the shift lever to "R", "N" or push the "P" position switch while the vehicle is moving. Doing so can cause significant damage to the transmission and may result in a loss of vehicle control.
    • Do not shift the shift lever to "N" while the vehicle is moving. Doing so may cause the engine brake not to operate properly and lead to an accident.
    • Do not turn the hybrid system off while driving. The power steering and brake actuator will not operate properly if the hybrid system is not operating.
    It's not until 12 pages later on Page 167 that the manual clarifies its stance on emergency situations and says it's OK to use the Power button:
    Stopping the hybrid system in an emergency
    • If you want to stop the hybrid system in an emergency while driving the vehicle, push and hold the “POWER” switch for more than 3 seconds. However, do not touch the “POWER” switch while driving except in an emergency. If the hybrid system stops while the vehicle is being driven, this could lead to an unexpected accident.
    Obviously if you are in an emergency situation you're looking to do whatever will stop the car and aren't going to worry much about causing damage to the transmission if shifting to Neutral means that you'll be able to stop. Common sense and survival instincts should kick in and tell you a new transmission is worth another possible outcome. The 2004 Prius manual is known for being a horrible Japanese translation, but it at least goes in-depth enough to tell the driver that the Prius' "joystiq" needs to be held in the N position "for a while".
    With the following improper shifting, the rejection function operates and a beep sounds so the hybrid transaxle cannot be shifted. (i) When you attempt to shift the transaxle from the "P" position without depressing the brake pedal. (ii) When you push the "P" switch while driving. (iii) When you operate the shift lever from "D" to "R" or vice versa while the vehicle is moving. (iv) When you operate the shift lever to "B" from any position other than "D". In case of (i), the transaxle remains in "P". In case of (ii) through (iv), the transaxle is automatically shifted to "N". The shift lever always returns to this original position after shifting operation. You can operate the shift lever only in "D". Keep the shift lever in "N" for a while after you shift it to that position.​
    Remember, the quickest way to get into Neutral in the Prius is to hit the "P" Park button. Holding the Power button for 3 seconds will shut down the Prius and you will lose power steering, but the Prius does not have a locking steering column so you should be able to maneuver to the side of the road without incident. Thanks to PriusChat forum member Hobbit and his friend who pointed out this information in this post.

1 person likes this.
  2. Juanuchis

Juanuchis Fanny Foamer

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  3. Radiant

Radiant New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I would say they probably need to change "do not under any circumstances" to " do not under any circumstances except an in the event of an emergency".

Yes it needs clairification, however isn't this the driving part of the manual where they are talking about how to drive the car under normal circumstances? Am I correct in beleiving these instructions are to prevent unnecessary damage to the vehicle (in non-emergency situations).

This may have not been the best choice, but at the time of the writing there was no reason to believe there would be so much hype. If they has known there would be a runaway Prius disclaimer in the manual.

Emergency situations come later and I think in an emergency, to heck with damage save yourself first. Perhaps the what to do in an emergency part should be updated with the proper instructions.

4. Ogo

Ogo Prius Owner since 2008

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If you need a maximum braking power and your gas/enigine is not speeding away, manual is exactly right. Maximum braking can not be achieved while in N.

In a situation where theoretically you have a run away Prius due to engine revving up and powering the prius into runaway mode, putting into N is of course a solution.

You Americans ... :rolleyes:

5. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hopefully, it is clear that the 2010 Prius Owner's Manual is incorrect, and that the Toyota emergency instructions should prevail, without the owner worrying about causing a transaxle failure.

Unfortunately, the available Toyota customer documentation has a number of glitches. Here are a few:

1. The maintenance schedule differentiates between transmission fluid and differential oil, although this is one & the same with Prius.

2. That schedule also discusses inspecting the radiator, condenser, and intercooler. (Prius has no intercooler. The 2010 schedule was revised, and now reads "and/or intercooler")

3. The owner's manual says to select unleaded gasoline with an Octane Rating of 87 or higher (for example, p. 318 of 2007 Owner's Manual) although the Toyota tech training docs say not to use octane greater than 87, or risk no-start problems.

Although this is not a glitch: for those who have read the 2010 New Car Features Manual available on techinfo.toyota.com, would you agree that this volume was not as informative or as comprehensive as the 2001 and 2004 NCF? I was disappointed with the 2010 version of that publication.

6. DeanFL

DeanFL 2010 owner - 1st Prius

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    This is quite disconcerting:

1. That so many of us did not notice this pouring over our new car manual review after delivery. Speaking for me, I tend to skip through and read stuff that's interesting or new feature. And never all those warning sections...

2. That Toyota could make a (potential) error as this. Especially that Toyota knew of "unwanted acceleration" issue claims in GenII and other models. Engineers should have noted the failsafe measures of Neutral shifting.

3. That Toyota could be liable for legal claims if there is a valid UA issue with injury - "Gee I read the manual you supplied and was told NOT TO shift to Neutral or power off the car. Appears your instructions are incorrect and... meet my lawyer."

4. That Toyota will now need to correct the 2010 manual, and possibly previous years to every customer. Another cha-ching.

Toyota better send a big thank you to the person that found this....

7. Ogo

Ogo Prius Owner since 2008

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ahhh you Americans, sometimes I wonder, did you really put a man on the moon in 1969 ... :D

Like I have written. Manual is OK in normal circumstances, when you need to maximize your braking power. For example when pink elephant lands in front of your car. :eek:

In a hypothetical situation of a Prius which is running away due to gas / engine revving up problems, solution is to shift into N and therefore cutaway the engine from powering you wheels.

Shifting into N in normal emergency braking situations is not OK as it prolongs the breaking distance as in normal situations engine will actually help in breaking !!!!

8. ronhowell

ronhowell Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    The same caution wording exists on p.124 of my 2008 model Prius OM. They definitely need a competent tech writer to go over the entire manual, in my opinion.

It was obviously written originally in Japanese and translated. Good technical writers are extremely scarce, and it is obvious when reading the manual, which has some very strange wording in a number of places. Producing a manual that covers a range of configuration options just complicates the matter.

9. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Someone needs to fire Google Translate.

10. priusmuku

priusmuku Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Why so much publicity for shifting to Neutral ("N" mode)? Why not shift to Engine Brake ("B" mode) to slow down the car?

11. Crazy Canuck

Crazy Canuck New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I was also wondering about this... It would start engine breaking, then with harder braking switches to friction breaking. I'm guessing because it's a panic breaking scenario (ie standing on the pedal), that even if it was in "B" mode, it would go straight to friction breaking.

12. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Toyota has responded to PC about the article on Twitter:

2 people like this.
  13. TheSpoils

TheSpoils Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Oops, and I have continually shifted from drive to neutral regularly while moving, with both my hybrids to maximize FE.

14. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Because B mode doesn't slow down when the gas is being pushed. You can drive fast in B mode. A runaway ICE in B mode is still a runaway ICE.

Tom

15. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    There's no contradiction. It's what not to do while driving, not emergency instructions. Most obviously written for moronic drivers who will try to shift into other gears during normal driving.

16. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    You mean 'B' mode isn't the same as a jake brake ?!?

(sigh . . . . more & more I'm convinced we never went to the moon)

:madgrin:

17. Juanuchis

Juanuchis Fanny Foamer

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    IS TOO A JAKE BRAKE! IS TOO! :D

I tell everybody my Prius has a jake brake. My fellow rednecks are impressed. Well, maybe amused.

18. Pohaku

Pohaku Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Babblefish strikes again!!:D

19. ystasino

ystasino Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    WOW, My parents have only owned Toyotas, I have owned two of them, but Toyota seems to be all over the place with their reaction.

Funny thing is that based on prior experience of forum members as well as low insurance prices, the Prius seems to be one of the best cars around.

:confused:

20. a1a1a1

a1a1a1 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Well, I guess that does it for the RTFM fools. It's not too good of an excuse now that Toyota actually tells drivers not to use the only emergency procedures available. And, more poignantly, it proves that the "Read the Manual" mantra folks didn't even read the manual themselves.

Confusion. Misinformation. A non-intuitive interface that work differently at different times without warning. Now that just completes the recipe for disaster.

Please, don't tell me to read the manual again. :)