1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

opened trunk overnight

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by AOV, Apr 25, 2008.

1. AOV

AOV New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Is it possible to deplete the battery by leaving the trunk opened overnight? I put in a old wall oven in the trunk to throw it out in the morning at the town dump. The oven it too big, the trunk does not close all the way.
    Door open warning light is on now, and so is the open trunk warning light on - will this be a problem, has anyone left their trunk opened overnight?

2. Austin50mpg

Austin50mpg Prius Driving Right Winger

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Hmmm. Good question. I would imagine the LED's wouldn't draw enough power from the battery overnight. The flashing red light stays on all the time the car in not started. I'm assuming you turned off the little trunk light (white light). I would turn of my SKS overnight to help increase the battery conservation.

3. AOV

AOV New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    The little light is off, actually I never used it, but I know its there.
    I would be interested in turning it off if it would help. How?

4. Austin50mpg

Austin50mpg Prius Driving Right Winger

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Smart Key System.(You can get in your Prius and start it with the key in your pocket)

If you have a smart key look under the steering wheel and push the button that turns the smart system off.

5. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Make sure all the interior lights are off and make sure the car is in a secure place because you can't lock it. It should be fine. Just in case park so you can easily jump start it from the front if the battery does run down.
    SKS is the smart key system, allows you to start the car with the fob in your pocket. Switch, if you have it is under the steering column.

6. AOV

AOV New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    My key can only lock and unlock, cannot start the engine.
    Its parked in my driveway, safe enough, plus...who would want an old oven anyways?
    And if I have to jump start it...all this would have been more trouble than its worth.

7. Huntceet

Huntceet Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    II
    A few weeks ago one of our customers had his kids 05 Prius towed to our shop (indi). The kid had backed into a pole and wrecked it just bad enough that the hatch wouldent close. Battery died over night. They were afraid to jump it and the towing company was too. We jumped it and it started ok. Decided to check the battery but there's no CCA rating on it so I took a guess and entered 300 CCA into the tester. It came up on the tester "OK recharge". Trickled it for an hour and retested and it came up OK. Then I put the scope on it and checked the draw with the hatch open. It settled down to around 350ma with the interior lamps turned off. I flicked the latch closed with a screwdriver and the draw went down below 50ma. I have to believe sombodys awake watching until all the latches are closed. Then the computer(s) go to sleep.

Hunt
    "Work like you don't need the money, love like you never had your belongings set on fire and dance like you're not wearing any pants."

8. AOV

AOV New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Re: opened trunk/hatch overnight

Couldn' t wait to see if the battery died or not overnight, I checked it earlier before I had to leave, it did not, the car started up without any hesitation. I noticed this morning that the open door warning light was no longer flashing, must have stopped at some point in time last night. The only thing that was flashing was the Hybrid vehicle immobilizer/Theft deterrent system indicator light, yet if I would have decided to leave the key in, that would have not been flashing either, thus...I conclude that one can leave the hatch opened (not properly closed) for at least a 10 hour period. Good to know also, if one goes on a picnic and needs to leave the hatch opened for easy access to supplies, as a cooler, for an example.
    Off to the town dump I go!

9. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Re: opened trunk/hatch overnight

Only if the white light in the hatch area is off! Any one of the interior white lights can drain the battery overnight.