1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Opening all doors

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by maggieddd, Jul 23, 2005.

1. maggieddd

maggieddd Senior Member

How do you make it so all the doors open when I grab the door handle? Also when I press the remote?

2. helmkera

helmkera Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    If you "click" the open button twice on the remote, it will open all the doors. I don't know about grabbing the door handle.

After noticing that if I grab the driver's side handle, it didn't open my wife's door, I started opening her door for her first (besides it seemed to be the right thing to do).

3. flareak

flareak Fleet Captain

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    you need to hold the lock and panic button on your key until you hear the car beep TWICE. if it doesnt beep twice, then you have to do it again. It will cycle through all the different settings

4. Charles Suitt

Charles Suitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    :) Howdy MaggieDDD

The "2004 Owner's Manual" - Page 30 - Contains a Paragraph entitled "CHANGING THE DOORS TO BE LOCKED." Instructions found there enable you to control which doors are locked/unlocked using the "Smart" functions. Your 2005 Manual's information is most likely on the same page. The process is a little tricky, so it may require 2 or 3 attempts to get it to work.

There is a wealth of helpful information in your Owner's Manual. :idea:

5. kmf164

kmf164 New Member

As I approach the car from the back, I'll touch the trunk latch and that will unlock all doors. You can touch it enough to trigger the smart key 'unlock all doors', without actually opening the hatch.

6. hilore

hilore New Member

My 2005 Prius doors open when I grab the front passenger door.

--Hilore
    --Palm Springs, CA

7. ScottY

ScottY New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Charles Suitt\";p=\"109583)</div>
    I second that, just go to the index of the manual, it takes you right to the section you want. It tells you the instruction to change the unlock modes.

8. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

The remote unlock mode can be changed, but the dealer has to do it.

9. Charles Suitt

Charles Suitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    :idea: If you want the remote to open *ALL* doors, click the "Unlock" button TWICE with a 2-second pause between clicks. I do this when my wife reaches the car before I do so she can enter sooner. [Makes me a *HERO" 0r "Gentleman" :D ] For me this works from as far as ~25' away, even through the Living Room window.

10. kDB

kDB New Member

i don't wait two seconds between clicks, just two pretty quick (about half a second). and you notice when it works cause the beep will be different.

11. alsgameroom

alsgameroom Member

My '05 doesn't beep when I unlock/ lock the doors with the remote. However the parking lights and rear lights blink. One press for driver door lignts blink once or twice and two quick presses for all doors and the lights blink I think 4 times.

I have to dig in the manual and check this out. Maybe I disabled the beep when I turned off the reverse beep' because I did it only after having the car a few days...still cant remember a lock/unlock beep So I don;t think this did it.

Probably just set up this way from the factory

-Al

12. kDB

kDB New Member

well mine beeps and flashes lights. i think it's two and four, but i usually let the smartkey system unlock for me so i can't remember for sure. i did not turn off reverse beep (and probably won't, not in reverse much). prii was delivered in late june '05.

13. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

If you don't have SKS, you don't get auditory answer-back. I have no idea why Toyota decided not to install the outside buzzer for non-SKS packages.

14. lbligh

lbligh Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    Success! I have now reprogrammed my key fob, following the instructions in the 2005 owners' manual. When I touch either of the front door handles, with the key fob in my pocket, all the car's doors unlock.

This is very handy for people with kids.

15. jandmayra

jandmayra New Member

This section has been bumped up a page to p. 31 in the 2005 Owner's Manual. :cool:

16. jeromep

jeromep Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Slight technical observation, however you haven't reprogrammed the fob, but have changed the behavior of the body ECU to a different unlock program. The fobs are dumb, with SKS they respond to a query from the vehicle when they are nearby to verfiy their presence and allow the vehicle to unlock with a handle touch and to boot the vehicle when the power button is pressed. They also transmit unlock, lock and panic commands to the vehicle when you use the buttons on the fob. Beyond that, you can't actually program them, they are a fixed entity with fixed functionality.

17. rick57

rick57 Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You can program the Prius to unlock all the doors with one push on the fob. But you need top take it to a dealer to change the Customize feature. I recently did that for a local member.

18. ambrothe

ambrothe Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Thanks again Rick!

19. rick57

rick57 Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    No problem,Chase. Glad to be of help. Let me know if you have any questions/concerns, :wink: .