1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Opening the Hatch when Car is Running

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by cybele, Dec 30, 2003.

1. cybele

cybele New Member

With Homeland Security what it is, I'm sure I'm not the only one who has run into this.

Today I decided to park "on the lot" here at Paramount Pictures where I work and in order to do that I have to have my car screened. They check in the trunk, but they couldn't open the hatch. I ended up turning off the car and getting out and locking and unlocking the car. Then the hatch would open.

What was I doing wrong? Is the hatch locked when the car is in Drive, or anything but Park or Off? Or did I just need to click the Unlock button on the door or something? I have smart start/entry.

(Oh, and the security guards were quite impressed that it was so quiet and asked if I had to plug it in. I told them no and that it got 60 miles to the gallon and they were floored, one of them just kept hitting the other guy on the arm and pointing at the back seat going, "look at all that room in the back!" They wanted to know how much it was and 20K for a base model and 26K fully loaded didn't faze them a bit.)

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You left out a little data....
    1)Did you try to unlock the car car with the unlock button while the car was running? I think that should unlock all the doors, including the hatch, but can't swear to it.
    2)Do you have your doors set to unlock all the doors or just the driver's door when you enter with the SE? I have mine set to unlock all doors--that includes the hatch so they all stay unlocked since there's no auto lock system when the car starts moving in the Prius.
    --evan

3. cybele

cybele New Member

I have SE set to only unlock the driver's door (since that's the default) but I'd like to set it to unlock all of them. I guess I'll go look that up in the manual later on and reset that.

I think what happened was that the guard got confused and hit the lock button on the hatchback, so no matter what I was doing to unlock the car, he was locking it again.

4. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Pretty easy to do. You use the buttons on the remote. You simultaneously push and hold the top button and the panic button for 5 seconds or 15 seconds or somewhere in between and it will start cycling through the 3 options. Just play with it a while and you'll figure it out...that reading the manual stuff is for the birds :wink: