1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Operating Climate Control in Auto

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by waltwin, Aug 27, 2010.

1. waltwin

waltwin Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I need to select AC on when running in the automatic mode. I get from the manual that when I select Auto the system will maintain the selected temperature. Am I misinterpreting the book? I would any comments.

waltwin

2. Colonel Ronson

Colonel Ronson New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    When you press auto...it should turn on the a/c. Yes automatic is just like the thermostat inside your house...you set a temperature and the system will blow hot/cold air...whatever is necessary to maintain your selected temperature...

3. PaJa

PaJa Senior member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Based on my observation - Prius preferes to blow high volume air (and produces big airflow noise) instead of switching A/C on and lower air volume. The car also prefers the driver face vent direction when ambient temp >15°C. The fuzzy climate control logic can be better.
    The 2nd gen Prius has and humidity sensor, but I don't know if this one is deployed for 3rd gen.

4. waltwin

waltwin Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I may have a problem. If I don't select AC it gets pretty warm inside my Prius. Thank You for the response.

5. waltwin

waltwin Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I may have a problem. If I don't select AC it gets pretty warm and the AC never comes on.

6. dmvp

dmvp Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Turn on AC.
    Turn on Auto.
    Set the temperature that you'd prefer.

Should work perfectly.

7. jim256

jim256 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    This is on page 277 of the manual, and I think the bold phrase I highlighted clarifies that you need to press A/C to get the compressor to come on. It reads a little like some early Japanese camera instructions, not stated very clearly:

n
    [FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]Using the automatic mode [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]Fan speed is adjusted automatically in accordance with the temperature se.-ting and ambient conditions. As a result, the following may occur. [/FONT][/FONT]l [FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]Immediately after AUTO is pressed, the fan may stop for a while until warm or cool air is ready to flow. [/FONT][/FONT]l [FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]Cool air may flow to the area around the upper body when the heater is on. [/FONT][/FONT]l A/C [FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]does not operate even if it pushes AUTO.
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]

8. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II

I don't think that's a problem. You can always turn AC on, but there are times when you can take advantage of automatic control of the fan for ventilation (or temperature control when it's cold) and not run the AC at all if it's cool enough to not need it.

I have run mine on auto with AC off and think it's an intentional operating mode.

9. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    If you have the AC button pushed (green light AC on) and turn the climate control off the AC light will still be on when you turn the climate control back to Auto. Conversely if you have the AC off and turn the climate control off the AC will not come on when you push Auto. It remembers what you had selected when you turned it off even if you turn the car off.

As jim256 said just because the green AC light is on does not mean the air conditioner is running, when you are in Auto it uses heat and AC to keep the temperature where you have it set.

10. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Also worth noting - the A/C on in auto mode doesn't always mean that the A/C compressor will function, nor does it mean that it will only cool. Unlike the Gen II Prius, selecting Auto does not force A/C on.

Where I have seen A/C forced on, however, is when the "Extra Filtration" button has been pressed. I've had A/C off to conserve energy and noted after pressing the button that A/C was switched on. Doesn't always happen though.

At cooler temps, the A/C compressor will also function at a lower capacity to dehumidify the air. It's also forced on at above freezing temps regardless of the setting when using the defroster to dehumidify air for quicker defogging.

As for the observation of high blower speed - the compressor and blower speed work in tandem to provide the best cooling. High compressor speed and low blower speed could result in condenser icing, thus forcing a lower temp along w/ a lower blower speed may not yield better results - just quieter results.

11. waltwin

waltwin Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Thanks to everyone for your response. Sometimes extracting information from the manual isn't as easy as it might be or maybe its just that I am getting older.

waltwin

12. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I tried mine on the way home and one thing I noticed is that if you are in Auto and switch the AC off, the vent changes from recirculate to external. When switched back to AC it switches back to recirculate.

13. tedjohnson

tedjohnson Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Yes and I notice that if in MODE you select feet and windshield that the AC will come on without pushing the AC button and the light will stay out , but cool air will blow.

14. RRxing

RRxing Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    This, of course, depends on the temperature you set, outside air temp, and the other signals used by the A/C system. I've seen it go from Recirc to External and vice versa with the A/C light on.

1 person likes this.
  15. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    This is to conserve energy, and occurs more often in Eco mode. Takes less energy to cool cabin air than hot outside fresh air.

2 people like this.
  16. Penny's Dad

Penny's Dad New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Well that explaines something...My AC almost never jumps out or recirc mode... unless I force it too. In my other vehicles the auto aC was always quick to go from recirc to outside air...

17. Colonel Ronson

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    um, how is that a problem? If there is no air conditioning turned on, how is the car supposed to be cooled? the only air that will blow in is the air from outside, so whatever temperature it is outside, you'll get. If its 120 degrees outside, then yes, it will get hot inside your car if you dont turn on the a/c.

this is simple logic? If you turn the a/c off, of course its going to get hot.

18. PaJa

PaJa Senior member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sorry, i don't understand the logic. If I have a the AUTO selected and temp set to 20C it means, IMHO, I want 20C inside the car and doesn't matter that ambient temperature is 30C, so A/C should be switched on. But the car, instead of switching A/C on, just increases the speed of blower to max, which could not lead to the inside temperature decrease result becasue it is blowing the 30C air.

19. Colonel Ronson

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Reset it. Turn it off, and then press Auto. It should turn the A/C on automatically. And if it doesn't, just press the a/c button. Big deal.

I mean really. Nobody has ever used climate control before? Dont like the fan speed? reduce it. The Automatic function is designed to get to the temperature you set as quickly as possible. If you deselect the a/c, then it cant cool and it will just blow hot air.