1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Opinion: prius III "Five" w/ATP Is it worth it?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by A617, Apr 23, 2015.

1. A617

A617 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Title says it all. Right now I have a Prius III Trim level "Two" (ie base) I would really like to have the DRCC, and a sunroof, I really don't care about LKA however but I if read it comes with ATP package. So for those who have the trim Level "Five" do you think ATP package was worth he extra money? Or should i just hold my gun and way for next generation prius, and when toyota rolls out a super cheap technology package bundle in the upcoming model and ge that instead. Right now a Gen III Prius "five" with ATP is <$20k with sub 30k-40k miles.

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Unless you drive a lot on the freeway, DRCC doesn't really do much. DRCC and LKA comes in handy if you wish to doze off for 5 seconds while you drive.

3. A617

A617 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yeah i do a lot of highway driving my ratio is 70% highway 30% City, i do have CC but it almost keep having to disengage it to keep adjusting my speed i get to the point where i just drive with my foot all the way to my destination.

4. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I don't really like DRCC much. Yes it does slow down for you so you don't run into the car in front. But I hate the constant speed up and slowing down the computer does. Unless traffic is always constant speed, the always adjusting speed up and slow down speeds is not that great. I like it when I'm sleepy, I know I won't hit the car in front of me.

5. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    If you want a sunroof then you're looking at a Three-Solar or a Four-Solar. If the DRCC trumps the sunroof then the AT package is worth it. Unless you have access to the appropriate department in Toyota don't count on a super cheap AT package. Upselling the gizmos is where the profit's at.

6. PriusC_Commuter

PriusC_Commuter Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Wait for next gen. The Toyota adaptive cruise control doesn't work in stop and go traffic, only above a certain speed.

7. A617

A617 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    O yes i know it dosent do stop and go but I like that fact that it can follow another car at highway speed, as there are time in my commute where i varies from 65 to 55 consistently

8. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It's hard to say, especially since we know almost nothing about the next gen Prius. It'll get one of two Toyota Safety Sense systems - the "c" or the "p". And as you said, it will be a cheaper to purchase TSS for the Gen 4 (Again, we don't know if it'll be optional or standard equipment. So far, the Scion iA will get TSS-C as standard equipment but the RAV4 gets TSS...P? on the Limited trim only)

9. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Oh I have the Canadian spec so it bundles DRCC and SR. I've enjoyed my Prius so far. It's really nice not having to get into a stinkin' hot car in the summer (or even in late Spring days). I balance between DRCC and pedal driving on the highway. It depends on whether I want to drive for maximum fuel economy or maximum convenience.

10. dhancock

dhancock 2 Prius Family

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    To me, the DRCC is definitely worth it. I've found that it is really great in heavy freeway traffic. While it definitely leaves a gap with the car in front (that others can "jump" into), it does take some of the tension off in driving in heavy traffic at 60 to 75 mph.