1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Opinions on gamble!!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by jonwoolf, May 7, 2007.

1. jonwoolf

jonwoolf New Member

Hi... I have a chance to buy very cheaply a 1988 Prius, fresh off the boat from Japan. The body is immaculate. The drive is totally dead. Turn the key, no response. Yes, it has been in storage and in transit for months. What are the chances of it being just a dead 12v battery? I am in an area where people are not Prius-savvy, and I may be able to buy the car very cheaply. What else is it likely to be rather than the battery? I cannot do a bunch of testing, as the car is up for auction. If I fix it visibley and simply, others will rush to buy. Is it worth the gamble???

2. Bob Allen

Bob Allen Captainbaba

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    1988? The Prius wasn't on the road in 1988. Do you mean 1998? Even then, it was only on the road in Japan. Whatever....to answer your question: I wouldn't buy a (earlier model) DOA Prius because the parts needed to get it running are, 1. likely very expensive, and, 2. probably very hard to come by. The person offering this for sale is probably not doing so out of the kindness of his or her heart. If it looks too good to be true, it probably is.

3. jonwoolf

jonwoolf New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Angel Flight Pilot @ May 7 2007, 06:02 PM) [snapback]437145[/snapback]</div>

Ooops, sorry, that should be 1998. I live in New Zealand. There is a big biz of importing used vehicles here from Japan, and this Prius is one of them. A dealer has brought it in, and as it seems dead, doesnt wish to mess with it. Hence it is selling at auction. My question is, how likely is it that it is just a dead 12v battery? The vehicle has no reponse to the key being turned.

4. Presto

Presto Has his homepage set to PC

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    If you're able to get your hands on it, give it a jump start. If it powers on, then it's just a dead 12V.

5. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Presto @ May 7 2007, 06:21 PM) [snapback]437159[/snapback]</div>
    I agree but won't put money on the problem being the 12 volt battery. That would be the easiest and cheapest thing to replace. Figure the value of the car to be fair market value for a running car less parts and labor for a traction battery. Start looking around to see how easy they are to find.

6. iaowings

iaowings New Member

I say go for it. like someone else posted the parts on an older prius are expensive. You can probably make more selling the parts on ebay then what you paid for it.

7. donee

donee New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hi jjwoolf,

My experience with situations like this, is that they are typically a ploy to hide the real problem. The auctioneer could easily jump up the 12 V battery, show that the electronics light up, and increase the value of the car imensly. Why is he not doing this - its certainly in his and his clients best interest?

The 1st generation Prius battery is very much more expensive than the present generation cars. I have heard $4K US, versus the $2.4 K US for the Gen II Prius Hybrid battery.

If there is transmission problems, you might need a new motor coil etc. Let alone a new Inverter!

Until they jump the 12 V for everybody to see, and download any codes for you to investigate, I say stay-away.

8. priussoris

priussoris New Member

I agree with donee, Especially a dealer he would try to jump it himself to make a few more dollars, I would think.

So I would pass unless at the auction they try to jump this or the day before normally you can preview the cars and then try to jump it yourself and connect a cod reader and check the codes it throws.

Then on the other hand check your local newspaper and see if there is a demand for used parts and ebay as mentioned prior . You may have so,ething but be cautious.

Now if they throw in a Moa along with the car I'd take it :D

since your from New Zeland you will know what a moa is or should I say was.

9. jonwoolf

jonwoolf New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priussoris @ May 7 2007, 09:16 PM) [snapback]437252[/snapback]</div>

Hi Priussoris- yes, I know what a moa is- we normally get sheep jokes, not moa jokes....... thanks for all the opinions, btw, everyone, the car got passed in at the auction. There was a bid of about $2500US, but not accepted. I may head down with jumpers and see what happens.

Priussoris, I wonder where you are in Mid-MO- my wifes family are in Columbia. There are several big New Zealand cattle operations in the Carthage area, also.

cheers, jjw

10. priussoris

priussoris New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jjwoolf @ May 7 2007, 10:41 PM) [snapback]437331[/snapback]</div>
    Hi jjwoolf, I am about 40 miles North east of Columbia.

Good luck with the jumper cables