1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Opinions on this tire tread?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Mendel Leisk, Mar 17, 2015.

1. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    The wiggly split in the picture is about an inch long. Noticed it about a year back. I thought at first it was an imprint from one of those metal squiggles,the kind they use on picture frame corners.

Took a pic today, and I'm noticing a lot of micro cracks in the vicinity, and the large split seems to run into those cracks at both ends.

The tires are the original Michelin Pilots, and the car was built in Aug 2009. Low mileage, just past 50000 kms, with some snow tire use. Remaining tread depth about 7/32".

Are they past their prime, time for new?

image.jpg

2. afob3

afob3 Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I wouldn't be driving on that till it was checked. With your driving age is going to catch up before treadwear.

3. Den49

Den49 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    How deep is the crack? Is there also a bulge? Looks like a weak spot in the tire that could blow out. I would take it to a Michelin dealer for a professional opinion. You may be buying those new Premiers sooner than you planned.

4. Roland1555

Roland1555 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    I agree with afob3, age is a factor here as well as the physical damage.

Best to get it taken off the rim to examine the tire from the inside opposite that odd split. As it is within the groove, there obviously is less rubber until you get through into internal belts.

In terms of where you and I live, it is all too easy to hang onto tires for too long especially if one uses snow tires for 6 months of the year. On the one hand, people don't want to toss tires that still look okay even though they are 6 years old, so they tend to cheap out... but they have no problem buying a second set of tires and rims to use in an environment where winter is a fluke occurrence. If we were consistent, the old tires would get tossed... likely the snows are just as old and also "look" new.

Hopefully all weather tires gain in popularity over time. Less waste of materials and money, with greater safety as you are better prepared for changing road and weather all the time.

Roland

5. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    No bulge. Just some fine cracking in vicinity. I just now pushed a fine pin in: goes about 1/8" easily, then stops. So doesn't seem like the walls are just tapering down. More like its bottoming at that point. Hopefully not just wishful thinking.

It's looked thus about one year now, at least since I noticed.

But yeah, they are getting on.

Yeah Roland, between our low usage and swapping over to snows, tread depth will be lasting another 4 years, lol. I'll think on this.

Costco's outa Michelin Premiers right now, do have Ecopia EP422. Its 225/44R17 I'd be looking for.

#5 Mendel Leisk, Mar 17, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 18, 2015
  6. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'd probably hit it with soap solution to see if it was leaking.
    Looks like this right?

7. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    It's holding air ok, but yeah I Should try soap solution. That's the metal item I was thinking of. Not sure cus the wave cut seems irregular.

8. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I think those tires are past their prime.
    I think it's time for new.

9. Den49

Den49 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I once had a tire that had a similar crack in the sidewall, no bulge. The tire dealer said it was just a cosmetic defect in the outer rubber cover and OK to drive. I would still have the tire inspected by a Michelin dealer before condemning it. Maybe it is not as bad as it looks.

10. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Well it's looked like that for a year now. Likely longer, that's just when I noticed it. And not losing any air. Everything was fine, 'till I happened to park with the wheel turned sharply, and noticed it again, lol.

It can't be a good thing, but it seems stable. Ok, resolved: next time we're at Costco I'll see if someone can look at it. The tires are largely crack free, but just in vicinity of this split there's some. Like the rubber composition's locally messed up??

11. Xterra72

Xterra72 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    The tires are from 2009 and exposed to all the elements. It's deteriorating and it shows. Safety first.
    I personally would not even bother getting them inspected. It's time for new tires. Just saying.

12. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    They're strangely crack free, well apart from this zone. When we found the car on the lot it was in a large, covered shed, at the back of a batch of cars, dusty, with a dead bird beside it, lol.

And it's garage stored, and these OEM tires spend 4~5 months each winter in a stack in the garage, with kosher tire cover over them.

But yeah, hear what you're saying. The tires will be at least 6 years old, come august.

13. Sfcyclist

Sfcyclist Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    It's the belt structure that keep the tire together. The lack of a leak would say a lot as well. What's missing is a load test since you haven't driven on it.

14. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    It's looked like this for over a year, and not losing air. And doesn't seem to go deep, testing with a pin. Guess I'll just keep an eye on it. Thanks.

Edit: did the soapy water test, no bubbles. Pretty much a given, the tire's not losing any air.

#14 Mendel Leisk, Mar 18, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2015
  15. Sfcyclist

Sfcyclist Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    It is a pain to test but clearly it's a cut and not just crack from dry rubber. So how deep and bad is the cut? As you found, not deep enough to penetrate as it still holds air. Did it damage the structure(belts)? No bulge so that another good sign. If that meet your critirea, then you're ok.. if not take it for the last test you can do, drive on it(load test).

16. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Yup, it's been driven, this is old cut. A slim pin will push in about 1/8", then stops, abruptly too.

17. Okinawa

Okinawa Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    On the right side of the tire if those are the tread wear indicators that are showing I would get new tires.

18. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    No, long way to go. They're about (min) 7/32" inch tread depth remaining.

19. Sfcyclist

Sfcyclist Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    I don't see the wear indicator bars in your photo.

20. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring