1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Opinions Wanted: GenIII Prius PLUS Performance Package vs CT200h

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by edgalang, Jan 9, 2013.

1. edgalang

edgalang Junior Member

Hi folks,

Prior to purchasing the CT200h, I was cross shopping it with a loaded Prius IV/V with the PLUS Performance Package. While I've never driven a Prius with the PLUS package, I'm still curious regarding the differences between the driving dynamics of a CT200h.

While I've already made my choice, I'd still like some validation since in theory, a double wishbone suspension should be better than a torsion beam.

Does anyone here have any experience with both?

2. Ragin Cajun

Ragin Cajun Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I test drove a CT200h and while a nice car it didnt have enough room nor the same amount of space and the price was higher than my prius. Under the hood they are the same so paying for the price and name wasnt on the top of my to do list.

3. edgalang

edgalang Junior Member

That is why I was specifically asking for Prius owners with the PLUS package, since in the end, the price difference will be within a few hundred dollars at the most.

4. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  5. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It depends on what you want out of the car. For most it comes down to the amount of room between the two cars. The Prius is MUCH more roomy and the CT200h is more refined and handles better. For me it was a no-brainer. I simply couldn't fit our dog or all of my work gear in a CT. So utility beat out the more refined CT.

6. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't know about driving dynamics between CT and Prius Plus, but ...

No matter what kind of springs, tires, sway bars, etc... you put on the Prius, the overall feel in the driver's seat is no match for the CT200h. Prius has better interior room. Lexus put a lot off effot into perfecting the driver's seating and all. CT sits driver quite a bit lower, it feels great to hold the wheel. I got about 10 minutes test drive in one, and although it is a little cramped for my 6'2" bod, it felt very well laid out, much more like a 'driver's car' than 3rd Gen Prius.

Hopefully Toyota takes some interior design (seating and controls placement) clues from CT ... try to incorporate that into the 4th Gen liftback Prius. Keep the Prius dash and displays but lose the floating bridge.

F8L likes this.
  7. Ragin Cajun

Ragin Cajun Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thats why I specifically answered your question because I have this package. You obviously want a different answer since you have already made your choice. My question is this....why even ask?

8. somebody7

somebody7 Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I looked at the CT and then the Prius and back and forth. I test drove them both and ended up with a Prius. While I loved the CT (a lot), I didn't like a few things about it.
    The back seats seemed less roomier, the cargo area was smaller, and the engine seemed more under-powered. I have kids, so I have to make it as comfortable for them as possible. It didn't seem like my kids had enough leg room especially behind my seat (I'm 6'1) in the CT. While I think its only a few inches difference of leg room between the two, It still seemed like a bigger difference. Also, the cargo area is small, and I projected taking trips with my family and could already imagine the room we wouldn't have for the suitcases. And while I guess I should have tested it out a little more, it didn't seem like it had enough power when entering the freeway (except in sport mode).
    One last thing. I felt a little cramped in the drivers seat. I'm not a heavy guy (155 lbs), but I felt like the seat was a little tight around me.
    And just like there are cons to a CT, there are also pros. Cabin noise, luxury, etc, etc.
    However, I do plan on looking at a the second gen CT when its available or maybe once my kids are able to drive on their own (or moved out). But for now, the room in the prius is sufficient.

9. edgalang

edgalang Junior Member

I apologize, I did not mean to offend. I agree price and name weren't on the top of my to do list either (especially since the car wasn't for myself), however I was specifically asking for opinions regarding the differences between the driving dynamics of both cars. Reason being is, I have a colleague who may encounter the same fork in the road.

Assuming price, interior room, and luxury plays no role, which would be a sportier high MPG daily driver? A modded Prius or a stock CT200h. (The Honda CR-Z has already been ruled out)

10. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  11. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    From the 2011 CT200h brochure -

"The ideal driving position. While it may not be what you'd expect in a hybrid vehicle, it was made a priority when developing the CT. In fact, Lexus engineers even went so far as to develop a new air intake system to allow the hood to sit lower. The purpose: to position the driver as close to the car's center of gravity as possible while still maintaining optimal visibility. Strap yourself into the low-set bolstered sport seat, grab hold of the LFA-inspired wide-grip sport steering wheel and take that first corner-we're sure you'll agree: it was well worth the effort."

I guarantee you Toyota was not emphasizing the above for Prius when designing its driver's cockpit. CT is the sportier daily driver of course.

12. Pikapichu

Pikapichu New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

I'd look over your reply again if I were you. You did not answer a single question he asked. While he asked about driving dynamics associated with the PLUS package and suspension differences between the two cars, you answered about the space, price and what's under the hood, which obviously does not include the rear suspension.

Not to give you a hard time or anything, but I came across this board searching for the same thing. No one seems to have a review of the PLUS package and I really would like to know if it significantly improves its cornering and handling abilities. I want to know if I can take it fast through a winding road or into a sharp turn at 30+ mph and feel confident that it won't under or oversteer too much. The video linked by cycledrum does a good job at selling the package, but I want to hear some real-world reviews.

13. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, the Plus package will allow you to carve corners with confidence once you learn the limits of the car and the tires. There is a HUGE difference between the Plus package and a normal Prius. The difference in shear cornering ability between the Plus package and the stock CT200h is small.

14. Pikapichu

Pikapichu New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

Thanks for the quick reply! I'm in the market for something a little more practical and am considering trading in my FR-S towards a Prius II with the intent of eventually adding in the PLUS package.

15. Eclipse1701d

Eclipse1701d Prius Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    I have the package. You can take a right turn a 30+, but the 17's are a little thin and the car hops halfway into the next lane... I don't do this often, but there are times when it is necessary. I drive 18,000+ a year, and the car does perform and handle much better with the springs & sway bar, which I had installed at 3,000 miles. It really is a night and day difference. Unfortunately, I never drove the Lexus, so I cannot compare the two.

16. Sfcyclist

Sfcyclist Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    I just can't see this difference(in this case double wishbone rear vs trailing arm)being a major factor with such low powered drive trains. When comparing handling, it's done near the limits. With that limiting factor being the power, I don't see the the handling being the deciding factor between the 2. As noted, you will probably notice the seats and layout more so. I find the Prius Persona with Plus springs handles well within it's range.

Would be interesting test on the track. I would bet these car would have very close lap times.

17. Jonny Zero

Jonny Zero Giggidy

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Wow, when did you trade the PiP for the Volt?

18. ahmeow

ahmeow Prius Lover

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Though CT200H may be more quiet inside the cabin, I like the style of Prius more.

19. sarir97

sarir97 Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    For those who have the plus performance package, what did you pay for it? MSRP? Invoice? Who did your installation?

20. Sfcyclist

Sfcyclist Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    Did you mean what dealer charged as it can be installed after purchase.