1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

optima d51 battery replacement, no post conversion listing

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by drew_flux, Dec 11, 2010.

1. drew_flux

drew_flux Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Guy's, i have a question. after 6 years my aux battery have finally stopped holding charge. when i did a search on here to see what everyone else was using for a replacement, i found many threads on optima replacement battery's with a terminal conversion kit (SAE POST=large post terminals).I currently plan to replace it with a optima next week, if it doesn't completely die before then.

the local importer for OPTIMA, here in Australia has a listing for a D51TI that seems to be a better fit, same size case,cca rating as the regular D51 but with small battery post terminals,therefore no need for a conversion kit.
    the part number from optima is 8071-167. Maybe this is a new listing in their catalogue, I'm not sure. just thought i would post what i found, to help someone else along with their battery replacement.

5 people like this.
  2. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Looking at the North American Optima website, they list the above part number (8071-167) but they do not specify the type of terminals. The only reference I found to the terminal type listed SAE terminals.

Please post again when you receive the new battery; I am very interested in whether it may be possible to get the Optima with JIS terminals ipo SAE terminals.

3. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Hi drew. did you get a price for the optima battery in Australia because I'm really interested in sourcing a new battery soon. Mines ok for now but I'd like to replace it, probably before winter. Let me know how you get on with it.

Thanks. :)

4. drew_flux

drew_flux Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Dogfriend:this is what came up on the main Australian importer's webpage.D51-T1
    so I'm hoping it comes with small terminals.i will find out in the next few days and update. I also could not find a listing for jic terminals on optima's US page, as now is the time to buy.(good exchange rate ATM)

Uart: this is a local retailer near me in Sydney that will be getting called tomorrow for "Trade price",stock availability and confirmation of small post application. http://www.batteriesdirect.com.au/shop/product/4363/d51t1.html
    the kit from the US comes out as $378 to put on my door step.so it maybe possible to save $100 by not paying for post and conversion kit.
    also should have a email by the time i get to work tomorrow on "internal cost price" on standard battery.part number S46B24R (mate works at Lexus) the price difference and warranty will be the judge of which one will get fitted, as I'm sick of booster packing the thing to start up.

1 person likes this.
  5. ccdisce

ccdisce Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    In the US the Optima Direct On-line store does not offer the D51T1 version at this time.

6. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Maybe I can get them to ship me one by claiming that I'm Australian but on holiday in the USA? :madgrin:

7. ccdisce

ccdisce Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have e-mailed them asking that the D51T1 be added to their on-line offerings, maybe if more of us Prii owners do so they may grant us our wish.

8. drew_flux

drew_flux Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Australian importer told me today "not avalible here till after xmas" maybe you guys can get one over there. looks like im geting a stock battery as i have a new symptom, will not power down without booster pack connected.battery will not take any charge at all.stuck at 5-7volts,load tests at 20cca.

9. drew_flux

drew_flux Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    emailed them today,also emailed the australian importer and local retailer,complaining that if its on both there webpages it should be avalible.i cant realy wait much longer.thinking about put a normal flooded battery in till i can get one. i dont realy want to pay $165 for a stock battery with only 1year warranty.

10. ccdisce

ccdisce Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  11. drew_flux

drew_flux Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    still trying to find something else avalible down under. have got a normal ns40 in there atm.
    optima importer emailed me back saying d51 with small posts was a low volume item, and could be aprox 12 weeks before the next production run then 3-4weeks to get down here. if anyone else wants one start emailing optima asap

12. larrydunn

larrydunn New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    There is currently a direct replacement battery for the prius it is optima number DS46B24R and requires no changes to the car to install. LDD

13. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I think that is a US part, not world wide. Optima has always sold the correct battery in some parts of the world, just not the US until recently.

14. drew_flux

drew_flux Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    @ larry and jumbo. i ended up with a stock replacement as i couldnt wait for the next production run. fast forward a few months, optima now lists a replacment with jis posts.
    the Australian optima listing part number hasnt changed yet. its strange the batterys were on sale here before in the US since optima is US based. when the current toyota battery fails, it will be replaced with a optima.

15. vertex

vertex Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
  16. drew_flux

drew_flux Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    dude ^^^ not at you personaly.but people please actualy read threads. if you look at my first post. I told the priuschat forum that the jis post battery existed in optima's part listing LAST YEAR. at the time everyone was on regular d51's and converting the terminals. i didnt waste my time posting the thread for nothing. unsubscribing thread///

17. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    There are three divisions in Optima: Americas, Europe, and Asia. In Europe, the part number is YTS 2.7J. It is not entirely clear that YTS 2.7J, D51T1, and DS46B24R are all three identical. Particular attention was paid to DS46B24R to make sure that the vent port was a direct fit. Until someone posts differently, I assume that DS46B24R will be available only in the Americas.

1 person likes this.
  18. timbot

timbot New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi All,

For those prius owners located in Australia, I just spoke with Rhys Bailey the manager for Optima here.

I was told that the prius specific battery (DS46B24R) similar to the D51 yellow top will be available in AU from January 2012. Pricing will be the same as the standard D51.

Cheers
    Tim

19. lopezjm2001

lopezjm2001 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm in Australia and I just spoke with Graeme Hicks from Optima. The new DS46B24R are still in transit (in a cargo ship container?) and should arrive 14 february 2012. He has one on hold for me. I am just glad the US government released him from Guantanamo Bay :D:D

20. priusTim2007

priusTim2007 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I just got a DS46B24R and the vent port was not a direct fit. There is a vent port on the yellowtop in the right location but it is smaller the OEM one that came with my 2007 prius. I emailed Optima today to see if they know about this. It should be remedied with a replacement elbow adapter. In the mean time, I kludged an adapter using a straw and some electrical tape. The size of the battery fits right into the nominal spot though.