1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Optima Red Top battery installation group 34/78 mambo in Gen III!

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by MoMoPrius, Dec 17, 2011.

1. MoMoPrius

MoMoPrius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I had a Optima Red Top 34/78 laying around and decided to install it in my 2010 since the stock battery is weak. Purchased some battery clamps and 2g cable to make it work. Fits perfectly!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My other project is grafting 2 Phillips 85122+ 4300K HID bulbs into a H11 base with Denso ballasts....;)

[​IMG]

2. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Unless it is externally vented, you are putting your passengers (and you) at risk. Any Lead Acid battery produces explosive hydrogen gas, in a Prius that is in the cabin with the humans.

1 person likes this.
  3. GreenMaterialism

GreenMaterialism Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Actually, Optima batteries are completely sealed and don't vent any hydrogen gas in normal use. They're considered safe to us in the passenger compartment, and also happen to be excellent batteries by any other measure as well!

Optima Battery FAQ - Frequently Asked Questions

4. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    They will vent when overcharged, just like any SLA. However, from the pictures, it looks like the vent line was installed?

5. MoMoPrius

MoMoPrius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If any venting occurs, it should be evacuated by the traction battery vent system where the exhaust duct is just right of the battery.

6. Mickduc

Mickduc Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I've installed a lot of Optima Red top batteries and the one thing I would recommend is to trickle charge it before trying to put a load on it. I had a significant percentage of them fail if they weren't trickle charged first, it might save you a trip back to the auto parts store. Personally I would use the yellow top, it has a better recovery profile. I once left my lights on for four hours and the starter wouldn't even click. I shut the lights off and waited 30 minutes and the car started without a problem.

Mick

7. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Odd, when I go to their site I get:

Optima Batteries Safety Information - Car Battery Safety from Optima

"Install battery in a ventilated area for operation and during charging"

http://www.optimabatteries.com/_media/documents/SafetyDataSheet.pdf

"Inhalation
    Not expected for product under normal conditions of use. However, if acid vapor is released due to overcharging or abuse of the battery, remove exposed person to fresh air. If breathing is difficult, oxygen may be administered. If breathing has stopped, artificial respiration should be started immediately. Seek medical attention immediately."

Any number of batteries will physically fit and electrically work in a Prius. The very few that are AGM batteries, (like the Optimas) that are also externally vented, are not reducing the safety of the humans inside a Prius.

1 person likes this.
  8. OptimaJim

OptimaJim Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    JimboPalmer is correct, that RedTop battery does not have provisions for external venting, as evidenced by the two circular vent caps on the top of the battery. Even though the chances of that battery venting and creating a dangerous situation are minimal, it is still a legitimate risk and we cannot recommend mounting that battery in any enclosed space. Our Group 27, 51, 78, 34C, 31 & Prius-specific DS46B24R do all have provisions for external venting.

Jim McIlvaine
    eCare Manager, OPTIMA Batteries, Inc.
    www.facebook.com/optimabatteries