1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Optimal Audio upgrade for 2018 Prius Two?

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by KRDucky, Apr 4, 2023.

Tags:
  1. KRDucky

KRDucky Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I recently purchased a used 2018 Prius Two. I generally like it but the head unit leaves much to be desired. Especially the lack of support for Android Auto/Apple Carplay and no support for USB drive folders (I separate my music by genre and also have a folder for podcasts). The factory head unit just acts like all the files are in the root of the drive and plays them in alphabetical order.

I would prefer a larger screen for sure and the ability to have Waze or something show on the screen as GPS. Maybe built in Garmin or Rand McNally?

Features ideally:
    Android/Apple support
    BT (the higher the version the better)
    Wifi? (for wireless Android and maybe OTA updates?)
    Capacitive Touch
    Prefer physical volume knob but as long as it supports the steering wheel controls it is fine with no-knob
    Support as many of the "car" features the factory radio supported.
    No need for CD/DVD as I do not use that media any more.
    The larger the screen the better IMO.
    MP3/FLAC/OGG support
    Good pre-amp outputs? I think it is 5v or something like that for better (clear) audio signal.

What speakers would you recommend?
    I would love to have a sub woofer as long as it can be hidden and not take up much space. I saw a guy on YT that had a camouflaged sub woofer in his trunk that looked like it was part of the wall.
    This Prius does not have JBL and I dont care if it does. I never really saw any major benefit to JBL in my old '06 Highlander Limited.

I like to listen to Drum & Bass, Rap, Metal, Jazz, and Classical (when I am in the mood).

I noticed that according to the Toyota Parts Online store, there is a Heads Up Display for this car but is it worth it? Or would I be better off with a 3rd party one that displays the GPS directions or am I better off not having one at all?

2. thomassster

thomassster Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    XLE AWD-e
    Your post covers a lot, so it’s difficult to answer every piece. But here is my experience. The popular after market offerings would be a double din head unit but it is smaller than the OEM head unit. The OEM head unit on the other hand has been tweaked specifically for the current speakers which are paper thin. It’s really just very heavy muddy bass. There’s very little customability out of the OEM unit. There are some big screen head units for after market, but they are more of the stick out style and not flushed.

There are so many good after market speakers, you should go to an audio shop and listen to some speakers to get a feel on what is your style.

mom not clear on your heads up display comment, since that usually comes with the car. I’m not sure if you can get it installed after purchased a car, but guess you can? Anyways, CarPlay is an amazing feature. Pretty sure android auto is good as well. But it uses your phone internet for google or Apple Maps. It’s much better than a built in GPS since it syncs GPS locks are faster due to internet assisted location and map apps are always updating and trying to make their apps better.

3. KRDucky

KRDucky Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Well, the current headunit screen is already pretty small and some of the units I have seen look pretty flush on crutchfield. The car doesn't have JBL so that's good.

SM-G981V ?

4. KRDucky

KRDucky Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    One of the biggest gripes with the headunit is the lack of folder support on USB. I can't separate my music and podcasts. IMG_20230411_173206.jpg

You will also see that most of the "screen space" on the headunit is wasted.

SM-G981V ?

#4 KRDucky, Apr 11, 2023
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 12, 2023
  5. christian cox

christian cox Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    2018 prius no jbl.
    Does anyone have any idea about the color codes of the connector for the speaker wires/ power wires. I'm trying to wire in a Acoustik pd1060hb and cannot find a diagram anywhere that reveals speakers locations for the wires/colors. 20230809_000024.jpg 20230809_000024.jpg

6. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
  7. thomassster

thomassster Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    XLE AWD-e
    2018 no jbl should be standard. Metra has the connector.
    Metra 70-1761 Radio Wiring Harness For Toyota 87-Up Power 4 Speaker https://a.co/d/6tQAamu

8. KRDucky

KRDucky Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I am contemplating a Alpine Halo ILX-F509 or F511 or a Sony XAV-9500ES. The Sony is tempting because of the multi-year manufacturer warranty. I do not think any of the other vendors offer more than 1 year on their units. And for the price I would be paying for the headunit, it sure would be nice to have a warranty longer than 1 year.

9. KRDucky

KRDucky Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I am contemplating a Alpine Halo ILX-F509 or F511 or a Sony XAV-9500ES. The Sony is tempting because of the multi-year manufacturer warranty. I do not think any of the other vendors offer more than 1 year on their units. And for the price I would be paying for the headunit, it sure would be nice to have a warranty longer than 1 year.

10. KRDucky

KRDucky Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Sorry for the multiple post but the site wasnt showing the post. It kept acting like I had not posted.

11. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    We have an older Sony XAV series head unit in ours. Been there 5+ years now. Never even remotely needed warranty service.