1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Optimal settings for factory JBL package in '08 model

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by MGaul, Mar 30, 2008.

1. MGaul

MGaul New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Hello everyone,

Just got my Prius (silver, package #5) yesterday and couldn't find the answer to my question elsewhere in the forums. I hope you can help!

I realize that most factory sound systems can't compare to a good aftermarket one, but while I wait to upgrade, does anyone have a recommendation on the optimal settings (treble, mid and bass) for the JBL 6-disk changer package on the '08 model?

I haven't found a good audio sweet spot yet (if there is one) and am a bit spoiled from the aftermarket systems that I've had over the years.

Thanks!

2. la cucaracha

la cucaracha New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I just got my 08 package 5 and don't know what works well with the radio/cd but am anxious for some input.

Your post is in stereo, though. :)

3. Rangerdavid

Rangerdavid Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    On my '06, which acustically should be very similar, I have my system set one notch on the fade to the rear. On the equalizer, treble all the way up, mid range on half way, bass one up from half way.

Now when I plug in my mp3 player which has its own 7 band equalizer, it sounds great as that more or less amplifies the different ranges even more. Still, there are better sounding aftermarket systems. Some people just replace the tweeters in the front door panels and claim the sound is 100% better. Others add a sub woofer in the rear compartment, and still others replace the entire system.

Good luck!!:bolt:

4. lesturner

lesturner Taming the Dragon - Tennessee

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Optimal in my '07 is as follows:

Fader 1 one setting toward the rear (rear slightly louder)

Treble (Full Up)
    Mids (Centered)
    Bass (One click short of full up)

If you have a center speaker (on top of the display), you can pull it up from the front and remove it from the hole in the dash. Disconnect the connector from the speaker and put it back in place.

The center speaker all but eliminates any separation in the 'sound stage' as well as muddies the sound from the front. If you ever need to hook it back up, its easy and doesn't impact the warranty.

5. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    On our 05 with the JBL with the centre speaker disconnected:

Bass - 0, 1 or 2 up depending on source
    Mid - 1 down
    Treble - 1 up.

6. lenjack

lenjack Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    There is no optimal setting. If there were, it would be set that way and be non adjustable. It's up to YOU to decide which setting works best.

7. 9G-man

9G-man Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    The JBL system literally made my ears hurt. To the point where I quit listening to music and just stayed on talk radio.
    Like many others here, I finally disconnected the center speaker and that made a tolerable improvment.
    I have since gotten Sirius satellite radio, Faded one click REAR, Trebel+1, Mid+0, Bass+3, I'm actually quite satisfied now.

8. KandyRedCoi

KandyRedCoi S is for Super!

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    for factory stereo the JBL is quite amazing

my settings are as follows:

balance: center
    fader: center
    treble: 1bar below max
    mids: center
    bass: 2bars below max

keep in mind too-how loud you listen to music as your settings would change accordingly, and also depends on the type of music you listen to

volume: around 20-30
    music typically played: hip hop, and some modern/alternative rock, on afternoon rush hour-talk radio LOL

9. priusenvy

priusenvy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Amazingly bad is what it is. If you think it's good, then you've never heard a decent factory audio system, like a Lexus Mark Levinson, Acura Panasonic ELS surround, or Infiniti Bose. There is a huge, huge difference, and if you can't hear it or are unaware that there are far better systems out there, you have no credibility. I found the JBL "Premium" audio system so bad I shut it off and just stopped listening until I could upgrade it.

10. KandyRedCoi

KandyRedCoi S is for Super!

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    its amazing for what it is

as far as credibiltiy, my girl owns a 07 GS350 with ML system
    i have an 07 caddy EXT with the Bose
    cmon man u dont gotta call me out like that, ive been tuning cars since i was 16, from audio to suspension to engine mods, and comapred to my 07 lotus exige S, the JBL is quite amazing
    :D

BTW: my Scion xB has 6TV's, all speakers from Boston Acoustic, Amps from Precision Power and subs from Phoenix Gold, blow your eardrums right off, hows that for credibilty

11. zenMachine

zenMachine Just another Onionhead

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    IMO, the optimal setting for the JBL system is OFF.

:)

12. xsmatt81

xsmatt81 non-AARP Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    i've heard the system in my uncles prius, he has JBL pkg. it's nothing great and is overpriced..but only the audio phile would probably not like it. They should only charge 400 for the JBL imo, but hey what can you do. Im on factory still! it's not horrible, but must be upgraded one of these days.

13. samsprius1

samsprius1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    Turn it up!!!:d