1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

optimal SOC for ending a drive.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by psikot, Oct 19, 2007.

1. psikot

psikot New Member

i was wondering what is the best way battery wise to end a trip. i figure that the next time the car is started the engine has to run anyway to heat everything up, and charges the battery. so i use the electric motor at the end of the drive by feathering the accelerator to maintain speed and accelerate from a stop. my car can be parked for days at a time, if that matters. just wondering

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well if it's gonna be parked for a few days, just leave it as charged as possible I suppose.

Otherwise, yes it does recharge but note the rpm rise a tad when it's charging the battery (as it's warming up). You can tell by looking at the instant FE gauge and looking at the difference btwn N and D.

3. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I think anything over 50% SOC is fine. If it's below that I think it could cost some fuel efficiency at the next start up since the car is highly dependent upon the battery during S1 while the ICE rpm is retarded and the emissions systems warm up.
    So, if the SOC is too low and the ICE has to run outside it's preferred range during S1 it will do so very inefficiently at the cost of fuel efficiency.

4. brick

brick Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I prefer to end with the same SoC with which the next drive begins.

5. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I would think the best bet would be to leave enough charge so that the first leg of your morning commute would be in electric mode only. In my new commute I have to drive through 3 miles of residential housing so by keeping the engine off as long as possible before I have to hit the highway seems like the best bet. Since the ICE will be on 100% of the time while on the highway they battery will end up charged and the engine can then warm up.

I get horrible milage though so take what I saw with a grain of salt. lol

6. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    At least enough to start the ICE.

7. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(F8L @ Oct 21 2007, 11:26 PM) [snapback]528672[/snapback]</div>
    My model is a little different:
    1. warm-up - ICE must run but it is inefficient. But an ICE at low power warms up at the same rate as an ICE at higher power and less efficiency due to warm-up mode.
    2. cruise - maintain efficient speeds and let the battery charge as part of this operation.
    3. cool-down - use the fully charged battery to run the car in maximum efficiency, warmed up EV mode.
    GOOD LUCK!

Bob Wilson

8. Mormegil

Mormegil Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Chevy Volt
    @Fatal,

I asked if it was best to warm up before or after getting on the highway. The concensus was it was better to warm up before, as it's better to be going at low speed at lousy mpg than high speed.

To the original topic, I've been trying to run EV on my last half mile on my commute home, and EV pulling into the parking lot area at work (really pointless, sine it's at the bottom of a hill). I've noticed maybe a 2 mpg increase in my FE. But I've only been at this for a month or so, so I'm not the most experienced at this.

9. abq sfr

abq sfr New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(psikot @ Oct 19 2007, 07:27 PM) [snapback]528008[/snapback]</div>
    I usually park it at 4:30 pm either fully charged or 1 bar down. When I leave next morning at 7:00 am, soc drops pretty fast. This morning I had full bars backing out of the garage, it dropped down to 2 or 3 bars before I had gone a mile mostly downhill. I don't think it has ever gone purple during warmup. This is pretty consistent from morning to morning. It was 32 degrees this morning, the coldest I think my poor Prius has ever been exposed to. Because of initial soc drop, I try to have a high soc when I get home but that's not always possible. And yes, I have an ebh that is working (thanks FireEngineer!)

10. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mormegil @ Oct 22 2007, 08:46 AM) [snapback]528847[/snapback]</div>
    Thank you and thanks to Bob for clearing that up. I'm going to swap my aftermarket wheels for my stock wheels and play around with driving efficiently and see how much I'm losing due to my wheels vs my driving.

11. psikot

psikot New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(F8L @ Oct 21 2007, 11:26 PM) [snapback]528672[/snapback]</div>

i cant drive in electric mode for the first leg, i dont have an ev button. the ICE has to warm up (charges the battery) it shouldn't make a difference if the battery is gone, the ICE would run the electronics of the car.

12. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(psikot @ Oct 23 2007, 01:46 AM) [snapback]529179[/snapback]</div>
    The OP asked what the "Optimal SOC" to end a drive would be. While you're certainly correct that the car will run just fine at any SOC it is not ideal for the SOC to be low as it will force the ICE to run more aggressively and thus less efficiently...that is not 'optimal'.

As I stated in my first post I believe that any SOC 50% or higher (let's say 3 bars on the Energy screen or higher) will allow the car to run in it's most efficent way at start-up during the warm-up period. That percentage may need to be adjusted upward in cold weather since the warm-up cycle will take longer from a cold start and since the cold battery is less efficient. If you use the defroster the battery drain will be higher still. So you might need to adjust the ideal SOC for cold weather cold starts to closer to 60% or so.

13. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Evan, feel free to correct me but would a high state of charge over night be at the expense of poorer efficiency for the last leg of the journey which may otherwise have been driven on electric power rather than the ICE?
    So what you gain in the morning you already lost last night?

I wouldn't bother with the EV switch, if you drive carfully you can get higher speeds and further on electric than the EV switch allows before it kicks out. I think EV is best for moving the car a short distance or quietly getting out the driveway at sparrows.

14. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(patsparks @ Oct 23 2007, 08:37 AM) [snapback]529243[/snapback]</div>
    The warmed up ICE at the end of a trip will run more efficiently than the cold ICE during warm up. If forced to choose b/w running the ICE briefly at the end of a trip to keep the SOC above 49% or starting in the morning below 50% I'd choose to run the ICE at the end of the trip.

It is rarely beneficial to force EV mode or electric only drive (I said rarely people, not 'never'). My usual commutes tend to leave me at b/w 51-54% SOC when I end/start my trips and this seems pretty idea...I rarely drop below 50% at start-up.

While you might be rewarded with a slight bump in your MPG by forcing EV at the end of your trip that same bump will be quickly taken away the next morning during warm-up. Overall efficiency is more important that the temporary bumps.

15. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    i think it depends. in my previous location, i live on a side of a hill, so 90% of my trips was a steep downhill for the first 4 blocks. so i wanted SOC low, because i coasted in drive while warming up so my charge levels usually went up anyway.

but for the most part, i believe that trying to manipulate the charges is not recommended simply because its not enough charge to make a huge difference. without gravity to assist, the charge comes from the same place

16. Mormegil

Mormegil Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Chevy Volt
    Well, I'm going to try a week without EV mode at the end of my trip and then a week using EV mode.

I'll probably repeat this to make sure, and try to get a sense of which yields better overall FE.

I too live on a hill, so I tend to get a lot of charging done in the morning. If I start with all green, I tend to not have anywhere to go, and may very well "waste" charge.

When using EV for the last small stretch of my commute, I typically end with 4 or 5 bars. I can't really go EV longer, as I'm on the freeway until then.

17. drifty1955

drifty1955 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(F8L @ Oct 22 2007, 12:26 AM) [snapback]528672[/snapback]</div>

I'm still learning but I unless I'm wrong I think the first thing the ICE does is try to warm itself up when you first start up in the morning to achieve better emissions thereby its almost impossible without an EV switch to go electric anywhere first thing. Charge has nothing to do with it. I live in South Florida and its still not content with whats in the thermos in the am even sitting in a stifling hot garage all night.....it wants to start even with green hybrid batt. It won't even let me back out of the garage in the am on a hot night/hot morning without starting the ICE. Which is why I have an EBH on order....unless I'm wrong. Thank you.

18. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Drifty'sDad @ Oct 31 2007, 12:37 AM) [snapback]532783[/snapback]</div>
    You're correct, F8L was talking about using an EV button...which I hope we've disuaded him from using.