1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Optimum Alignment suggestions please

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by CheapChic, Mar 18, 2007.

1. CheapChic

CheapChic New Member

I have had my p for 3 weeks now. I had to have an aligment when it was new.

Now the steering wheel is dead on straight and it goes fine.

BUT, IT SEEM TO DRIFT ALOT ON THE HIGHWAY.

Out of any car that i have owned, the handleing on this one sucks....

no feel steering and it need to be overcorrected during highway driving every second.

I am tired driving this car.

I read that that there is something you can do to maky it track better...

anyone notice this

2. NoMoShocks

NoMoShocks Electrical Engineer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(CheapChic @ Mar 18 2007, 04:05 PM) [snapback]408045[/snapback]</div>
    A bunch of people say the BT stiffening plate fixes this problem. I just ordered one, so I don't know yet. I thought it was my lousy driving that was making the car wonder in the lanes. It seems very easy to drift all over the place. Do a search for BT Stiffening plate and read what everyone is saying and order right away if you want one, becuase they may run out and you would have to wait for the next run.

3. CheapChic

CheapChic New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(NoMoShocks @ Mar 18 2007, 07:12 PM) [snapback]408048[/snapback]</div>

Where do I get one. And do you need a lift to put it on.

I hope it works

4. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    All,

The tendency for a Prius to "wander" is well documented. Before trying the brace, try raising the air pressure in your tires (but stay below the sidewall max pressure) to 42(ft)/40(rr). This does help (it also improves MPG and tread wear).

When my Integrity tires started to hydroplane at 44,500 miles (due to worn edges), I replaced them with Michelin MXV4+ tires (at the same size) and the handling (and traction) improved noticeably.

I'm not saying that the brace doesn't help since I haven't tried one. It's just that simpler options are available to improve the handling of your Prius.

JeffD

5. CheapChic

CheapChic New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jdenenberg @ Mar 18 2007, 07:52 PM) [snapback]408062[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks, what about adding a bit of toe to the front. I was told .5+ left and right

6. NoMoShocks

NoMoShocks Electrical Engineer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    You can find the BT Tech Stiffening plate by going to the Prius Accessories Link at the top of this forum, and then chose Prius Perfomance Accessories on the left, below the green heading. I already increased my tire pressure to 42 psi, and yet the car continues to wander, so I will be ginving the plate a try.

You should be able to install it by just driving the car up on some ramps, without a lift. Need to use a torque wrench to do it correctly.

7. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    You might also want to take a look at this post by Tumbleweed. He was having rear-end alignment problems after the dealer replaced his rear axle. Adding front toe in will probably help, the spec calls for 0 toe in/toe out. And increasing the tire pressure or replacing the OEM tires will improve the ride.

The BT Tech plate does wonders for handling if the alignment is right and the tires are good. If you just want to track straight down the road and driving is what you do to get from one place to another, you may not need or appreciate it, but it can't hurt either.

8. Charles Suitt

Charles Suitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <_< When I first drove my (now traded in) 2004 Prius, I found the steering very TIGHT... that seems no slack in the linkage at all. I had become accustomed to the 1º to 4º slack in an ordinary car's steering linkage, so I was oversteering the Prius - sort of 'fighting' it. Once I became accustomed to the lack of slack in the Prius linkage, I became comfortable with the Prius' characteristics. About the only 'wandering' I experienced was on grooved pavement or in a crosswind.

As for my 2007 Touring Edition, I haven't noticed any 'wandering' and the 16" wheels with Bridgestone Turanza tires have a bigger 'footprint' on the pavement, that together with the different suspension probably contribute to the firmer road feel.

CheapChic might benefit from putting different tires on her Prius.

My 2¢ - for what it's worth.